Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stolen evo's

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stolen evo's

Looking in the market to buy another evo. It's been some years but I regretted selling my last one. The question I have is since I've been out of these fourms and the evo world, are these cars now being stolen like acura integras's back in the day? I had an integra turbo that I had to sleep with one eye open. Don't want to go through that again with another evo if I decide to get one.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

thieves will steal anything of value, but the number isn't anywhere close to the honda civic/acura integra figures.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kobi2002
Looking in the market to buy another evo. It's been some years but I regretted selling my last one. The question I have is since I've been out of these fourms and the evo world, are these cars now being stolen like acura integras's back in the day? I had an integra turbo that I had to sleep with one eye open. Don't want to go through that again with another evo if I decide to get one.
dude im planning on getting an evo the next couple of weeks if worried about someone stealing it, get a tactirx cable and download ecu flash and you can change up I think the imobilizer code or some of the tables in the rom to where if someone tries to hotwire the car they wont be able to start it. A broken window will be common but if you hear your car trying to start that means you have plenty of time to grab that person
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks. Looking for one now. Didn't think it would be this hard.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steven121
dude im planning on getting an evo the next couple of weeks if worried about someone stealing it, get a tactirx cable and download ecu flash and you can change up I think the imobilizer code or some of the tables in the rom to where if someone tries to hotwire the car they wont be able to start it. A broken window will be common but if you hear your car trying to start that means you have plenty of time to grab that person
I have that cable from when I had my se ( miss that car). I just want to make sure it's not a problem like the honda's. I hardly see any evo's on the road now a days.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

You could always install a kill switch for peace of mind.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kobi2002
I have that cable from when I had my se ( miss that car). I just want to make sure it's not a problem like the honda's. I hardly see any evo's on the road now a days.
Unless you live around Chicago, you won't have to worry too much. 2 Evos a month are being stolen there...

And as for the immobilizer, not the best way anymore. The Evos that are getting stolen in Chi, thieves already have a spare ECU with the immobilizer turned off and all they do is switch around the ECU. Then hotwire and it's gone.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah chicago is the evo stealing grounds. Probibly all the same group of guys and they are just really good at it. Wost part is they must be members on here because they have to have some where to convert evo parts to cash and also they must have a high level of knowledge about evos. Other wise they are all just rolling around with super nasty track only cars that never get the vins looked at.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

I truly don't get how people can take what someone else has worked long and hard for. I know when I get my evo I will have every possible alarm system on it!
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Yea chicagoland area is the worst right now with evos getting stolen. That's why I'm debating if I should sell my 9 SE.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

If someone wants your car bad enough, they'll just tow it. Happened to a friend of a friend and he could do nothing about it.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boostfiend
If someone wants your car bad enough, they'll just tow it. Happened to a friend of a friend and he could do nothing about it.
if he had lojack it would of been found.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

well since your in broward county same as myself, the last time i heard of someone's evo getting stolen was at the hollywood Dave and busters. this was about 2 years ago. i actually attended that meet as well, most of the evo 8 and 9 owners here in our county have since moved on to another car or just got out of the game all together... either way you think about it, keep it in a safe location, never bring it to somewhere you dont know or trust. and definetly have an alarm if you dont keep it garaged.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 03:24 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
It's no where as bad as the Honda scene for sure.

I had to get a MITI lock for my Type-R way back.

Layer your security.

If you put a bunch of big-baller-bling parts on it and then park it on the street, expect it to get stolen.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
well since your in broward county same as myself, the last time i heard of someone's evo getting stolen was at the hollywood Dave and busters. this was about 2 years ago. i actually attended that meet as well, most of the evo 8 and 9 owners here in our county have since moved on to another car or just got out of the game all together... either way you think about it, keep it in a safe location, never bring it to somewhere you dont know or trust. and definetly have an alarm if you dont keep it garaged.
I was one of the guys who thought it was time to leave the evo world only to want to come back to it. You have no problems with yours?

Quick Reply: Stolen evo's