Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buschur FMIC owners Please HELP

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2003, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur FMIC owners Please HELP

I was installing my Buschur FMIC tonight and I came across something odd. The STOCK black pipe going from the exhaust side of the turbo to the intercooler has a nipple, from which a hose goes to my boost controller. On the replacement pipe I got with the intercooler from Buschur there is no nipple. Is there another source I need to tap for the pressure reading for my boost controller, should I have a shop weld a nipple on the buschur pipe, what have you guys done? Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

move your boost controller, im comming off the BOV feed.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:20 PM
Former Sponsor

When I installed mine Tym said pull the sensor hose from the intake manifold location. (I guess it's more representitive of what boost pressure the engine is seeing)
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

yes u can just tee off of the line that goes to the BOV. here's a pic that might help a little, its a diagram for a 1g dsm, but it should help u get an idea. the black hose on the bottom of the boost controller that u can't really see where its going, that just plugs onto the wastegate nipple. hope that helps a lil
Old Dec 31, 2003, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Ok guys, I moved the line from the nipple on the stock pipe to the bov like Tym said, but now, I'm not hitting full boost . My max went down from 21.9psi to 17.7 psi with the same duty cycle. So, I turn the duty cycle was up. It was at 66, I turned it to 90, I hit 19.9 psi, but something strange happened. It was like hitting boost cut. I heard the bov valve open and the car stopped accelerating abruptly, similar to fuel cut only a little more violent. Is the feed to the bov giving an innaccurate reading due to the pressure drop across the intercooler and piping? Am I boosting higher than the bov reads? Also, it doesn't feel faster, as the matter of fact it feels a little slower. Can anybody help, I called Buschur and nobody is there.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

i got a SES light and had it pulled. It was p0234 Engine Overboost condition. Is this occuring because the intercooler is giving more airflow with the same fuel setting causing a lean condition. I probably need to tweak my e-manage. But also, I think the overboost is strange because I'm only hitting 17.5-17.7 on my boost gauge (HKS EVC V). I think the input pressure source for the EVC V is supposed to be before the intercooler. Is the feed to the bov ok? It just doesn't make sense from a technical standpoint. Pressure drop occurs acros the FMIC and the piping. This would provide an inaccurate reading for the boost right? Anybody else have this prob, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
Old Dec 31, 2003, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

I have my boost guage hooked up at the fuel pressure solenoid. I would recomend hooking it up there. Try moving it without changing any of your settings and see what kind of boost it reads. I bet it will read much higher.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Dec 31, 2003, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

check your pm
Old Dec 31, 2003, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

here is what i think, the manifold pressure that you are now using for your pressure source on your boost controller is actually slightly lower than what is coming out of the turbo (where the pressure source was tapped originally), due to restrictions in bends and the intercooler and so forth.. so if you ramped up the boost you are probably seeing more like 23-24 or more at the turbo outlet.. not sure if this makes sense, but you see what im saying?
Old Dec 31, 2003, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

I had the opposite happen to me, after installing my buschur fmic and turbo back, I hit fuel cut because my previous boost setting went way up, I had to turn my mbc way down to compensate for all the back pressure i relieved-
Old Dec 31, 2003, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

hel_if_i_no : That's what I was thinking. Pressure drop would cause the reading at the bov to be lower than the reading directly after the turbo. I think i need to get a machine shop to weld a nipple on the buschur pipe. dammit.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 04:40 PM
Former Sponsor

I hit fuel cut too but we have only 91 octane out here on the left coast... I turned down my MBC to 18 psi reset the ECU (IMPORTANT STEP) if you don't reset... it remembers that it hit fuelcut and goes to default safe settings = slow.... till the ecu can reaverage many events w-out fuel cut (I think takes about 2 days) Also why care about your boost pressure? You know it's an arbitrary value dependent on temp/humidity/age of the universe etc... If 66 is to weak and 90 is to strong try 82... BTW I had a 2.8 lb pressure drop with the stock setup and now have 0.9 with Buschurs full underhood setup..... so if you take 21.9 - 2.8 you get 19.1 = stock settings at your new monitoring point. (you've been overboosting all along) 17.7- 0.9 = 16.8 (too low) but 19.9 + 2.8=23.7 is 110+ octane range (got tolulene????) = ugly fuelcut/timing retard/boost restriction and ECU into safe settings till It is lobotomized (15 min w/out power) or a few days with you playing nice and no pushing the limits. I learned this after many conversations with Tym so if I've missinterpreted something don't flame me to hard (It works fin on my car tho...
Old Jan 6, 2004, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Use the BOV line for the boost controller. It actually works better anyway, the vacuum that the controller sees from the intake will help the car re-spool better.

Don't put a fitting in the lower plumbing we supply.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jan 25, 2005, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

I have a question along the same line. I should get my car back tomorrow. It will have the Buschur FMIC with the new lower pipe. Will I need to turn down my boost? From what I read about the FMIC it said it will lower the boost by .86PSI. If it dose that should I turn my MBC up and try to keep it at 20-21PSI. Do I need to get the ECU re-flashed for the FMIC upgrade? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Buschur FMIC owners Please HELP