Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ticking sound at speed??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking sound at speed??

Hey guys/gals. I am hearing (just started about 4 days ago) a ticking sound that seems like is coming from my passenger side/front? I can only here it at speed...say 50-60 mph and becomes more audible when I get up to higher speeds. I checked under the car for something loose or broke and couldn't find anything. Any ideas?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it doesn't do it at idle? Does it do it relative with rpms or just with speed? My guess if it does it relative to rpm is its rod knock, hopefully not though. When's the last time you have changed pads? If its speed related only that's my guess is brakes.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:50 AM

Yea just speed related. The ticking doesn't seem to be related to engine RPM, only gets louder at speed and is audible in the cabin at around 45+ mph. I figured it would tick while braking if it was brake related but it doesn't. Appreciate the advice.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:54 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe your front right axle is going bad? Does it make any noise or vibration when turning left or right after different speeds??
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by B.J.@ToxicFab
Maybe your front right axle is going bad? Does it make any noise or vibration when turning left or right after different speeds??
NO everything is smooth, no vibrations, no tears in the boots, etc. I can't really hear it when at lower speeds and higher engine RPMs (too loud), but that doesn't mean it's not ticking still. Hmm. I'll check the rear axle for any visible signs of anything. I only have looked at the front so far. Hard to isolate sounds sometimes.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:30 PM

Thought I would let everyone know what the issue was in case anyone else ever has the systems. It was torn boot on the drive shaft farthest back in the middle of the car ..it had ripped and was hitting the exhaust/under carriage at higher revolutions, causing the tapping/ticking noise. I ended up zip tie'ing it back in place and will get it fixed pretty soon. I was quoted about $80 to replace the boots if I take off the driveshaft off myself. Anyways problem solved.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If you can find a boot cheap, you might as well finish the job yourself. Once you've pulled the axle you've done most of the work. Cut the bands, remove the c-ring and tripod and remove the old boot. You will need to buy band pliers. So, by the time you are done you've spent 80 bux and you have the pliers.

Don't wait on this. Once you get some dirt in there the axle is toast.