Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Intercooler sprayer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J Dog
Sprayer is uselss. I remember when I had my 8 though I was at the track waiting to stage. As I was sitting I hit the intercooler spray and I saw this kid off to the side yell "Oh my god he's spraying NOS, that car is going to be fast!"

LOL this just made my day
Old Aug 5, 2011, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Isent there some type of gain if you use distilled water or somthing?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by awdordie
I would like to see some actual data that the ic sprayer "doesn't" work as in dyno pulls back to back with it on and then with it off. I doubt it would be much but it has to be a little, and as for weight taking it out I wouldn't think would yield much either since I have heard, not proven, but heard that generally 100lbs taken out= -.1 tenth off ur quarter mile time. If that's true ten pounds really doesn't matter that much so I could see it going either way.

I also had a thread about replacing the ic sprayer water with the nitrous express ic sprayer bar and spraying nitrous across the ic instead of water. Anyone think that would yield significant gains or did any testing on that? They claim a turbo civic picked up 50hp from that alone kinda hard to believe, but never seen anything disproving it either. If it would yield significant gains I would run one and wire it into the stock ic sprayer button to work as "oem" where it sprays for 2 seconds every 3 seconds on auto and sprays continuously holding down the manual side. Any thoughts on this?

Even if it takes a 100lbs to get .1 tenth off a quarter I doubt the IC sprayer will give that much. And since you are talking about the track there are plenty that would rather get rid of every pound they can. Most guys running the track and going for weight reduction I would bet are getting more out of losing that and other stuff than keeping it.

As for the average evo driver it is a waste of time really. It is in the way of a great area to get cooler air to you intake. In the year I had mine on and had it on auto it never once sprayed. It worked it I used it manually so I know it worked.

I would think if you used it to spray something else that was cold it would work better. I have doubts though on picking up 50 hp maybe closer to 5hp and stretching it 10hp.

Not saying the IC sprayer does not work, just saying I think the gains are minimal and was most likely just a selling point. If you notice they ditched it pretty quickly so it was most likely a crap idea to start with.

I would like to see some hard data though on say spraying liquid nitrous on it or even something similar. I think that is where you would get real gains.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

I dont mind it, i see no point in taking it out for a street car. I wonder if spraying a water/alcohol mix would have a better cooling effect? I did however spray mine on manual for several seconds in front of a buddy and he says "Hey man your radiator is leaking", i just laughed
Old Aug 5, 2011, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

ahha TORETTO !

Originally Posted by J Dog
Sprayer is uselss. I remember when I had my 8 though I was at the track waiting to stage. As I was sitting I hit the intercooler spray and I saw this kid off to the side yell "Oh my god he's spraying NOS, that car is going to be fast!"
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The programming for when the sprayer comes on in the automatic mode is complicated and it does it basically to protect the engine not make the car faster. Well, if protecting against knock makes the car faster, it does that. Its a nice feature to have. I wouldn't throw it away.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Even if it takes a 100lbs to get .1 tenth off a quarter I doubt the IC sprayer will give that much. And since you are talking about the track there are plenty that would rather get rid of every pound they can. Most guys running the track and going for weight reduction I would bet are getting more out of losing that and other stuff than keeping it.

As for the average evo driver it is a waste of time really. It is in the way of a great area to get cooler air to you intake. In the year I had mine on and had it on auto it never once sprayed. It worked it I used it manually so I know it worked.

I would think if you used it to spray something else that was cold it would work better. I have doubts though on picking up 50 hp maybe closer to 5hp and stretching it 10hp.

Not saying the IC sprayer does not work, just saying I think the gains are minimal and was most likely just a selling point. If you notice they ditched it pretty quickly so it was most likely a crap idea to start with.

I would like to see some hard data though on say spraying liquid nitrous on it or even something similar. I think that is where you would get real gains.
I could be wrong, but a few years back some owners said that the spray will automatically spray at WOT. Which might explain why you don't hear it lol

I do manually hit mine when I'm driving on the highway on during the hot summer days/nights.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMolition
Isent there some type of gain if you use distilled water or somthing?
That's funny ! I suppose there would be some miniscule gains from using distilled water.

Anyhow, I took out my sprayer, water container, etc. I put a catch can in it's spot. I think I gained .15 hp/tq.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by black_beauty
I dont mind it, i see no point in taking it out for a street car. I wonder if spraying a water/alcohol mix would have a better cooling effect? I did however spray mine on manual for several seconds in front of a buddy and he says "Hey man your radiator is leaking", i just laughed
I use windshield washer fluid in mine while I am at the track - road course. It evaporates much faster and pulls the heat off the bars faster than water alone. It definately helps in keeping the charged air cooler for longer over a 20 minute track session. I don't have any logged data to show but from the last time I was on track I did one session w/o spraying, and ones session with spraying.

I ran the first session w/o spraying and by the end of the session I lost 4mph on the longest straight (around 85 degrees). The second session I sprayed and only lost 2mph at the end of the same straight by the end of the session (90 degrees this session).

So.... Does the IC Sprayer bring about any power gains? Minimal at best.
Does the IC Sprayer allow you to hold power longer deep into a track session? Absolutely.

If you're plans are to drag race the car.... ditch the sprayer. If you plan on doing any road course driving.... keep it.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

good points reaper
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ReaperX
I use windshield washer fluid in mine while I am at the track - road course. It evaporates much faster and pulls the heat off the bars faster than water alone. It definately helps in keeping the charged air cooler for longer over a 20 minute track session. I don't have any logged data to show but from the last time I was on track I did one session w/o spraying, and ones session with spraying.

I ran the first session w/o spraying and by the end of the session I lost 4mph on the longest straight (around 85 degrees). The second session I sprayed and only lost 2mph at the end of the same straight by the end of the session (90 degrees this session).

So.... Does the IC Sprayer bring about any power gains? Minimal at best.
Does the IC Sprayer allow you to hold power longer deep into a track session? Absolutely.

If you're plans are to drag race the car.... ditch the sprayer. If you plan on doing any road course driving.... keep it.

I can understand, agree, and accept the other points.

It's usefulness depends fully on the use of your car.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sternevo8
Im going to say the electical side of it is functioning correctly as I do get the light on my dash display when automatic is selected. thanks in advance
I removed mine recently, and there was a significant amount of gunk (similar to algea) near the pump. Plenty to clog it.

It might be worth pulling out the pump, and flushing some fluid through,

(my sprayer was not working either)

Originally Posted by geevolution
Everyone ditched them because it only sprays onto the exterior of the intercooler.
You should mod yours to spray the water directly into the turbo. Huge power gains.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 05:50 PM

I liked using mine but they are pretty useless...lol
Old Aug 9, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

As for the weight, water weighs 8.34 pound per gallon, so figure out the volume plus the weight of the jug and you can tell your weight savings. Anything that evaporates quickly (or quicker than water) will cool quicker - methanol (often in washer fluid, especially the winter de-ice version) rubbing alcohol, etc will evaporate very quickly pulling the heat out more efficiently. put a little on your skin and feel the cooling effect as it evaporates quicker than water - of course that isn't exactly good for your skin.

how about routing an a/c duct to the intercooler ?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Im still wanting someone to simply strap their car down on the dyno and do a pull with it and without, and maybe test some combinations of water and methanol.

If I decide to run an ic nitrous sprayer I will definately dyno it with and without and post the results.

Quick Reply: Intercooler sprayer