Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP!! Weird noise clutch/Transmission After wheel hop? Video included

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy HELP!! Weird noise clutch/Transmission After wheel hop? Video included

Ok this is going to be a long story, I'm trying to give as much detail as I can.
Fair warning.

History,
I had an exedy twin disc clutch and Shep Ultimate ratio trans installed on my car. After some spirited driving the "C-clip" popped out. Had the transmission dropped replaced it. Everything was good to go until it happened again at the track. I said F*ck the exedy twin never again. I purchased a Quartermaster Twin disc. Installed it and was already missing my exedy. The quarter master didn't have 50 miles on it before I sold it and returned to the exedy twin disc with the ams Push type conversion. I was very please with that.

Fast forward to recently.
Clutch has roughly 10k on it. The night before when it was being retuned for e85 the car was flawless. Went to the local 1/8thmile on the hoosier QTP's had 2 passes in the right lane, went to the left lane, staged and launched. It wheelhoped so I eased off the throttle and back on to it after it stopped wheelhopping. Felt like the clutch was slipping? I stepped on the clutch pedal and it was stiff Pumped the pedal and regained normal feel. back in the staging lanes I could hear a weird whining type when I was releasing the clutch. Let the car cool down then went to the staging lanes and "attempted" to do a burn out felt like the clutch was slipping. Just drove the car back. Did a 3rd gear pull on the way home the car held perfectly

So the car wasn't slipping at wot. anymore..wtf
Thought it was fine and dandy until a car event. Trailered the car there, Took it off the trailer, "Launched/slipped". Rolled out on the next pass 2.96 60ft.. slipped in 2nd,3rd, and let off at 4th.. 14.10 Put it back on the trailer and watched.

Now the Clutching is making a sort of screeching noise when you step on the clutch? I have a homemade clutch stopper underneath the pedal. If you are stepping on the clutch it doesn't make any noise. but At about 25%-50% of releasing the pedal it makes the noise. But when I reach lets say 75% of the pedal it stops. I can still engage the clutch without any weird noise and the clutch doesn't seem to be dragging at all. If i'm driving around and just depress the 75% its perfect and you will never hear the noise until you step on the clutch all the way. Driveler is perfect and doesn't do anything abnormal. It doesn't slip at all on pump gas. So I'm starting to think its something else other then the clutch. I was about to order a twin to triple disc conversion or new disc but I'm tired of paying to have the transmission dropped.

Does ANYBODY have any idea what it could be?

So it only makes noise when I start releasing the clutch but not at the release point near the top.

Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Help?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The fact of the matter is that regardless of what the problem is, you're going to need to get into the bell housing to fix it. Just drop the tranny and make sure it's not something obvious once you're in there.

Personally I think your TOB's effed and his hanging up, but that's just me.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

I'd like to have the parts needed to have it fixed because I'm not the one doing the work on the car. Also I don't want to risk having to order the parts afterwards(possible backorder). I'd think the shop will not be too pleased having the car sit there for so long lol

I'm hoping its something minor as well.