Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

LEFT Tailight Out. Many Troubleshoots. HELP PLZ

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LEFT Tailight Out. Many Troubleshoots. HELP PLZ

Ok.
Here's the problem, I have my left (Driver's Side) tailight out.

What has been checked:

1. Turn on the running/parking lights, the right side is lit... but the left side is not.

2. I've check the fuses (Location 21 [7.5A]) and it is fine, not blown nor worn. (i swapped the fuse with another slot with the same size and it worked fine on the other.

. I checked the bulbs, Fine. I even swapped with the right side to make sure and the light up perfect.

4. I took the connector clip out of the equation (cut the wires) and i ran the directly to one another. And that didn't solve the problem.

5. I took a voltage meter and tested the wires themselves.
*where the problem lies*
5.a = The (Black) wire from the car is Good. [Ground]
5.b =The Green/White Wire from the car is getting a lower voltage than the right side [Parking Lights]

The Brake signal/light is fine
The Turn signal wire/light is fine.
The Reverse light is fine

I also checked the fuse box itself and tested the light slots with the volt meter, 20 & 21 found that the RIGHT side running lights fuse location is getting correct voltage (12.3v)

BUT the LEFT side is getting a lower reading (10.2-4v)?
this can't be right.

i have a good/solid ground when i'm testing the positive side but i cannot get this light to work and it's whooping my ***.

Has anyone ever had this problem before with theirs?

ANY Help would be MUCH appreciated.

I'm tempted to take it to a Dealer but, in this case a ANY dealer is 2 hours away from me and i don't want my car 100% safe on the road...
-Got me pulled over by a cop-
this will be the 1st time the Evo has gotten me pulled over.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure if its the same on the Evos as I'm just blue sky thinking here... but on my GFs 2001 Ford Escape, there was a common problem with the wiring harness in the steering column not having enough slack in it so when the tilt wheel was utilized, the wires would pull out of their harness.

Its a long shot... but with how easy it is to check, I suppose that might be worth checking? I mean... obviously you've thoroughly checked from the fuse box back, I guess it's time to start going forward?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
You have a voltage drop somewhere. I would check behind the drivers side foot panel where water tends to leak in and make nice green fuzzy stuff on the connectors there.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
You have a voltage drop somewhere. I would check behind the drivers side foot panel where water tends to leak in and make nice green fuzzy stuff on the connectors there.

I'll try that and update.

Thanks so much!
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Could be a volt drop from water getting into those connections. But your tail lights work of a relay, you relay contacts might either be warn out or oxidized if you can try taking it apart and sanding the conact point a little bit if not than you might have to buy a new relay for your lights.