Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should I buy this?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2004, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy this?

Ok, so I worked a good deal on my trade an invoice price on a new Evo. Its black. Problem is that it has some good swirls in the clearcoat. I assume this is from poor washing at the dealership.

The question is should I just expect this, and deal with it, or should I expect that a new car (even a black one) would be mostly swirl free.

Let me know what you think.

Shawn
Old Jan 3, 2004, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

It depends on how good the deal is and how bad the swirls are. It has been discussed how Mitsu's paint quality sux. More than likely you'll end up with some swirls eventually, even if they aren't there when you buy it. If their not that noticable and you think you can live with it, go for it. Once you turn the key, you'll forget about everything except the road anyway!!!
Old Jan 3, 2004, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

First of all mitsu paint in ant color sucks. I had a black 2001 eclipse and it basically looked like what you described. First thing I did was taker it to a real detail shop and had it buffed. It looked like a mirror after that and as long as I kept wax on it it looked awesome. I think that is what you should expect too.

Rob
Old Jan 3, 2004, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

I think swirls on a black evo ... or aNy car for that matter is going to be inevitable ... but like it depends on how bad it is... If its a really good deal *how bout showing us the digits please* ... I say go for it ... I mean you can always get a paint job ... But hey thats just more money that COULD be used for modes =P
Old Jan 3, 2004, 02:56 PM

Well, its kinda hard to give exact numbers on the deal because there was a trade involved, but I got the car for invoice and about $1500 more then I should have for the trade, + no dealer fees, etc.

Shawn
Old Jan 3, 2004, 04:37 PM

I had the same dilemma when purchasing a black EVO. Saw it at night in the dealerships garage and I could see all the swirls and streaks. It looked bad. When I went to the dealership the next day, in sunlight and it different angles, you could barely tell, but I knew they were still there (even though they washed the car down...just wash..nothing else). When I got home, gave it a good wash and wax and you just might not regret getting a black car until the next time you need to wash the car.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 08:05 PM

Had the same problem with mine when I bought it. A clay bar and 2 coats of Zaino Z5 took care of them. Haven't seen any more and I've Zaino'd the car 3 times since. A good detail will also get rid of them but that can be expensive.

The paint also doesn't seem to be all that inferior to any other car I have owned. It certainly sucks worse than professional re-sprays I've had done in the past but I am not sure I have ever owned a new car where the paint was really all that solid.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

You should just ask the dealer to detail the car before taking delivery. If you are asking after you've already taken delivery it's probably too late.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 10:34 PM

Zaino works wonders on your paint