Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should I take advantage of this?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2004, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I take advantage of this?

Did most people take or skip the pitpass? I'm concerned about taking the pitpass since I plan to mod the car and don't really want to take everything off it everytime I need service.

One thing the dealer is offering though (for free) is free tires for life as long as the service is performed at the dealership. This seems like, in conjunction with the Pitpass, to be a smoking good deal.

Any thoughts?

Shawn
Old Jan 3, 2004, 05:27 PM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are the stipulations on the tires? How many miles do they expect you to get from a set? Is it by mileage, time, both or just wear? What tires? Is it the factory tires forever or can you get an equivalent discount off any tires you want?

What are the provisions of the pit pass? Pretty much similar questions on it.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 05:37 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
dude if you can get free yoko a046's for life then that deal is unreal, jump all over it.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 05:38 PM

Well...sounds definitely nice to me...maybe a lil' bit too nice.

The Evo goes thru tires really quick (that's the price of having grippy tires), so that's a good way to save a lot of the maintenance $$$ for tires.

But, IMHO, the dealer must be screwing you somewhere because I've never heard of a dealer offering free tires for life!!! I would say check that out to see where they are screwing you, and if its legit...then I would do it. But don't mind me,if I had an Evo I would keep it stock for a couple of years, so that's basically something you would have to think about also.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Get it in writing!
Old Jan 3, 2004, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

I know one of the techs at the dealer where I bought mine and he told me the pit pass really only saves you $20 from just bringing the car in normally. Plus if you decide to upgrade your fluids, which is a good idea if you're going to mod it, the Pit Pass becomes much less rewarding. Mitsu will only give you Mobil 1 from what the servicer manager told me. I didn't get one.

However, if they're going to give you free yoko's forever then anyone would be stupid not to take that
Old Jan 3, 2004, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

free tires for life but it may just be normal tires. U might need to add money for these yokos.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 06:05 PM

Yea, I guess I just realized that I don't know enough about the deal. I know it is Yoko's cause thats what they put on the "free tires for life" certificate (which I don't have a copy of yet since I haven't finished buying the car). They do this for all of their cars purchased and serviced there (as long as all service is performed there).

Shawn
Old Jan 3, 2004, 06:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
man I wish my dealer did this.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Hell yeah, that would be an awsome deal as long as there are no hidden deals or stipulatons. And i agree with MITSUORDER, i wish my dealer did that, wow.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 08:57 PM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by spmorgan
Yea, I guess I just realized that I don't know enough about the deal. I know it is Yoko's cause thats what they put on the "free tires for life" certificate (which I don't have a copy of yet since I haven't finished buying the car). They do this for all of their cars purchased and serviced there (as long as all service is performed there).

Shawn
As previously mentioned:
Originally posted by LDB

What are the stipulations on the tires? How many miles do they expect you to get from a set? Is it by mileage, time, both or just wear? What tires? Is it the factory tires forever or can you get an equivalent discount off any tires you want?

What are the provisions of the pit pass? Pretty much similar questions on it.

Good luck with your decision.
Now we see part of the catch, "as long as all service is performed there". What services do they require to be performed to keep the tires rolling (pun intended)? What are their service fees? How much of the required services would you do yourself and at what cost savings? Lots to think about when weighing this decision. Good luck again.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Assuming you make it to 15,000 miles per set, and you keep the car until you hit 90,000 miles, that deal ends up saving you $5088. That is based on 4 tires replaced 6 times at $212 per tire (from tirerack.com ). Not too bad. All things being equal, and assuming the dealer is not shafting you on interest or some other part of the sale, that sounds like a pretty good deal. Definitely nail down how often they will replace the tires for you. The car is a performance machine and it is very possible to wear them out quicker than 15,000 miles.

Best wishes,
f86sabre
Old Jan 4, 2004, 10:37 AM

Tires do go fast I'am at 5k and my tires are already looking ****y there all chopped out the inside edge is the worst. probly from the fast corners. but I will have them fliped and rotated to try and get some more life out of them.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

id be on that like a fat chick on a all u can eat buffet!!!!

most deff. read all the fine print!!!! If you mod they might say that you voided the free tire thing!

BTW: your lucky! my dealership tried to tell me i didnt pay for the pitpass when i still had the ticket for my car!!! Freaking losers!
Old Jan 4, 2004, 04:30 PM

i havn't gotten my evolution yet but what i've heard from other ppl is that you have to buy the pit pass and supposedly it saves you some money on the unlimited tires and doesn't it also mean oil changes with mobil 1? so i guess you have to add up oil changes every 3k miles and new tires however long you can estimate changin em and see if its much more expensive than the pit pass and see how much ur savin

Quick Reply: Should I take advantage of this?