Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how to make the fan for evo 8stay on

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to make the fan for evo 8stay on

well i was thinking of making the fan stay on...by making a switch for it..is a good idea?or bad thing to make my fan stay engage?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

No issues in the idea, just be sure to wire it correctly.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a difficult circuit to wire. If you wire the fan to be powered from a different source other than the factory match it with one that can handle the current draw of the fans.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 08:25 PM

i mean i work on military trucks and we leave the fan clutch engage so the engine will be cooler specially in hot summer days, and for what i know the cooler the engine the better the it preforms?have any one done this?on any car
Old Sep 5, 2011, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The Evo cooling system is robust so I don't see the point. But, if doing this modification, I'd make the fan run all of the time because, if I had a fan switch, I'd just forget to turn the fan on.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pinoy69
i mean i work on military trucks and we leave the fan clutch engage so the engine will be cooler specially in hot summer days, and for what i know the cooler the engine the better the it preforms?have any one done this?on any car
there was a super street article on this particular thing. if a cooler engine makes more power than a hot etc. the end result was the engine at normal operating conditions made more power than a hot one and even one with ice bags and cooling sprays.

the fan is only cooling the coolant in the radiator, the thermostat isnt going to open if the engine coolant isnt hot enough. if your wanting an easier method, get a lower temp thermostat. that way it'll cycle out the engine coolant earlier than the oem one (use only if your in hot climate). the fan being constantly engage seems pointless if the engine isnt even cycling through the coolant. unless your thinking of using the pull type fan as a form of a wind blower on the engine... which it blows the HOT turbo air towards the engine...

if u want the engine to perform better, have better vents and ducts to keep the engine bay temps down. preventing heat soak.

i could be wrong but mitsubishi designed it that way to kick on when needed, so its pretty stout on cooling as is.

Last edited by sujinX; Sep 5, 2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:03 PM

ur right...its just that one day i was working on a truck and out of the sudden i thought of doing that so i just wanna see what would happen if i do it
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:05 PM

+1 on lower thermostat. No point having fans run all the time just draws power.