Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Potential Evo Owner

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
excuse me while i put my flame suit on

ok here we go.

I used to own an 05 sti (stock mechanically with the exception of the 07 limited interior) and i just purchased an 06 ix. i've said this from the first time i drove the evo and still say it 3 months later: if i had to choose one to have as a sole vehicle and DD it i would choose the STI every time. now with that said my evo handles MUCH better than the sti, the steering input is on a whole other lever, and i've modded the evo so it is a bit faster than the sti now. also just went e85 so i have some torque now, but nothing compared to the sti down low. also the sti rides nicer, is quieter inside, has automatic climate control etc... making it a nice dd. i'm between trucks now and have been dd'ing my evo for 2 weeks and am ready to put it back in the garage
Old Sep 8, 2011, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Die.

Naw, just kidding.

I don't think you're going to get flamed, most everyone that researched getting an Evo also looked at STI's.

While it makes for great "forum wars", in reality I like STi's, and most owners in real life. The only ones I shake my head at are those that take the forum stuff to the car meets. It's all good otherwise.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My shop is more a Subaru shop, so I spend a lot of time around Scoobs and they are nice cars. The owners are cool guys too, but given the choice between my 06 MR and -any other car- there aren't too many cars I would take over it. Then again, if automatic climate control and interior, ride comfort etc are priorities for you... I dunno. I often daily my Evo which is gutted/caged with harnesses and love it.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by warstang27
ive read that one big failure with the six speed is the lack of cooling. ive read a bigger tranny cooler helps out a lot with reliability but thats just what i read. ive got a 5 speed so wouldnt really know, hopefully another 6 speed guy can chime in. the t-cases you really only have to worry about in 03-04s with the open diff. 05-06s are more reliable. granted the acd pump does go bad often but the t-case still works. its good to see someone doing there research before their purchase and modifying it. what exactly are your plans turbo wise after you max out the 9?
hmm that will be something to consider, i might as well put a tranny cooler on my list. Im not exactly set on the turbo i'll be using after the stocker. Maybe gtx35r, fp black, 6262.
Originally Posted by jdlewh
My 6 speed and stock clutch have been holding up fine on 390 wtq (on a low reading Mustang dyno) for about 25k miles now and I drive the crap out of my car.

All these stories about weak stock clutches, transmissions and ACD issues is what originally scared me into buying an STI instead of the car I actually wanted, an Evo. After owning my Evo I have come to the conclusion most of these clutch, trans and ACD issues are owner caused either by abuse or neglect on maintenance. This is of course on Evos that are stock or that have basic mods like my car.
This is all part of the fun of buying a used car.....could be 80k miles babied and another 15k and beat to ****. Just really have to look at what im buying before i finally come to a choice.
Originally Posted by CDHoff
Ive never owned an sti. I traded in my gti to get my evo and it was one of the best decisions Ive ever made. Every time I get in the car it puts a huge smile on my face. You will not regret the your decision if you buy one.
I hope i feel the same way lol.
Originally Posted by Hardware
One thing to keep in mind bud is that when you mod your car there are no guarantees. Make sure you trust your tuner. My stock block threw a rod back in Early June and it was putting down around 370whp/330tq on a Mustang Dyno. I don't blame the tuner as there are many factors that come into play, but once again make sure you work with someone who knows what they are doing.

I'm not trying to be rude, but all you are getting in here are opinions. The people that say you will be fine if you stay under 400tq are not going to buy you a new motor if it blows. Some people have great luck and some people don't.
I def understand this, its like that with almost every car. You could have a fully built motor and do EVERY LITTLE THING....and the motor could still pop. And other cars will be bulletproof no matter what you do to it. I will be ready to build the motor if it pops.
Originally Posted by Meathooker

ok here we go.

I used to own an 05 sti (stock mechanically with the exception of the 07 limited interior) and i just purchased an 06 ix. i've said this from the first time i drove the evo and still say it 3 months later: if i had to choose one to have as a sole vehicle and DD it i would choose the STI every time. now with that said my evo handles MUCH better than the sti, the steering input is on a whole other lever, and i've modded the evo so it is a bit faster than the sti now. also just went e85 so i have some torque now, but nothing compared to the sti down low. also the sti rides nicer, is quieter inside, has automatic climate control etc... making it a nice dd. i'm between trucks now and have been dd'ing my evo for 2 weeks and am ready to put it back in the garage
I understand what you mean but seeing as my car wont be my daily i dont think i'll mind. My STi had a very stiff suspension and 12mpg, so i hated dailying it.

One of the big things i look for in a car is that visceral emotion that you cant really put on paper. The way if feels, drives, sounds, and all the mechanical actions that make owning a car fun.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Double post fail.

Last edited by jdlewh; Sep 8, 2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

ok here we go.

So how high do you have to pull up your dress before getting into your evo? If you own a CT9A it sounds like an evo x might be right up your alley.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambitiousck
One of the big things i look for in a car is that visceral emotion that you cant really put on paper. The way if feels, drives, sounds, and all the mechanical actions that make owning a car fun.
For this ^^, the Evo is the right car. Specifically the CT9A. If this is what is important to you, you will definitely be happier than ever.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdlewh
So how high do you have to pull up your dress before getting into your evo? If you own a CT9A it sounds like an evo x might be right up your alley.
ha ha ... you a funny guy, i literally lol'd when i read that!

a few years ago i would have said that same thing but after i started racing various types of vehicles i prefer to keep my racing and daily driving separate. the point of driving a car like mine (12Kf / 10Kr spring rates and a 6puck) everyday isnt appealing to me anymore. i'd prefer to have it for spirited fun runs/racing and keeping the dd'ing to a more comfy rig (in my case a truck)
Old Sep 8, 2011, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambitiousck

the evo dominates the sti in this category. my buddy/coworker bought my sti and i still ride in it frequently. we both agree that the evo is more of a "drivers" car than the sti. i've raced a lotus elise a bit and my evo feels more like that as far as driver input and feedback than any other car i've driven. the only minimal complaint i had as far as a visceral emotion was the evo's tendency to push where the sti would oversteer. once we reassembled the rear diff it became neutral/able to understeer under power... puts a smile on my face every time i come out of a corner under power
Old Sep 8, 2011, 03:25 PM

the evo dominates the sti in this category. my buddy/coworker bought my sti and i still ride in it frequently. we both agree that the evo is more of a "drivers" car than the sti. i've raced a lotus elise a bit and my evo feels more like that as far as driver input and feedback than any other car i've driven. the only minimal complaint i had as far as a visceral emotion was the evo's tendency to push where the sti would oversteer. once we reassembled the rear diff it became neutral/able to understeer under power... puts a smile on my face every time i come out of a corner under power
Whaaaaaaaaaa STi's are built to understeer. Thats one of the problems why the STI isnt as great of a handling car as say an Evo.

But with everything you guys are saying i think i will enjoy an Evo.

Anything else you guys recommend in terms of modding or looking out for when buying one?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

besides modding and making good power is easier to obtain with either an evo 8 or 9, the car looks better hands down, and of course you dont have to worry about the numerous horror stories that are floating around about the sti boxer motors that they all end up having....

True like every car you must becareful when tuning and trying to make more power, because you risk ****ing something up but thats the risk you take when your into this hobby.

my opinion the evo is overall a better car
Old Sep 8, 2011, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone, guess im set on a white/black GSR/MR.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 05:37 PM

Some more questions....

as far as higher mileage evos goes, what is the limit? 60k?

Also what bolt ons would be "ok" in terms of buying an aftermarket Evo?

Ideally i would like to find a stock one but both you and i know how hard that is going to be. I wouldnt mind having a car shipped thats low mileage and stock....but it still makes me a little weary that i wouldnt be able to drive it first.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

I bought mine at 85k, no regrets there.

Anything beyond 50k and there's a risk of having to send the Bilsteins in for a rebuild (MR) or replace the KYBs (GSR). I had to send my Bilsteins off for a rebuild after purchasing. Still haven't fixed it yet but plan on having that done in the next week or so.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 09:26 AM

Subscribed - nice, good info.

Quick Reply: Potential Evo Owner