Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Potential Evo Owner

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FERNO
I bought mine at 85k, no regrets there.

Anything beyond 50k and there's a risk of having to send the Bilsteins in for a rebuild (MR) or replace the KYBs (GSR). I had to send my Bilsteins off for a rebuild after purchasing. Still haven't fixed it yet but plan on having that done in the next week or so.
I would be going to coilovers soon after purchase so that isnt too big of a deal to me.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
welcome to the club, we all have mixed feelings compared to the sti, theres things its got i wish my car could do, (adjust torque distribution front to back), theres things it wish my car could do ( make over 400 hp on pump reliably), its a crap shoot you get some pros and some cons of each car, either can make the piggy bank go broke in no time, if your gonna buy an evo, look for signs of modding, miles, and if its through a dealer "show me the carfax" haha
Old Sep 9, 2011, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dastallion951
welcome to the club, we all have mixed feelings compared to the sti, theres things its got i wish my car could do, (adjust torque distribution front to back), theres things it wish my car could do ( make over 400 hp on pump reliably), its a crap shoot you get some pros and some cons of each car, either can make the piggy bank go broke in no time, if your gonna buy an evo, look for signs of modding, miles, and if its through a dealer "show me the carfax" haha
The DCCD is a joke, I left it on auto 99.9% of the time. The only time I changed it is when I would get stuck in the snow so I would change it to lock which did work very well.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well its nice to at least have the capability to adjust the torque shift the torque more to the rear, helps with the typical sti understeer, short of upgrading suspension parts. 03 evos dont even the tarmac gravel snow option with ACD. But its all good like I said each car has there pros and cons, but at least most repairs whether minor or major are cheaper on the evo though. Just gotta find one that hasnt been fu*ked with. Good luck. Dont give us evo drivers a bad name like subbys haha jk
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:13 AM

lol im a car enthusiast..ive never been one to drive around and try to race everything in sight or do doughnuts in a parking lot. So i dont think you guys should be worried lol.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:23 PM

Just bumping this instead of creating a new thread.

I'm still torn about what i want to do at this point, i'm between a Evo 9 5mt/6mt or a 2011 STI.

I love the refinement, exterior, and my comfortableness with the subi platform. The thing that i'm worried about with Evos is that i dont want to have to build the motor AND the tranny. I know everyone says the 4G is bulletproof, and i would agree, but at some point, IMO, the motor would have to be built.

With the Subi the motor being built is a given, but the tranny is bulletproof.

So i'm kinda still up in the air about which to choose.

Anything you guys can add?

Thank you in advance.