Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me build a monster...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well first thing to making power buddy is checking to make sure your engine is ok do a leakdown and compression check first. Next you enginebay is stock except a intake and air filter. can we get pics or a video of underneath the car and the front of the car. Next thing after you do those two test is check the tune out make sure you dont have a hot tune for parts not on the car. After that we can start to build your car to be faster just remember the faster it is the more likely it is to become a shop ***** because it will continue to break on you since you have stock motor your not going over 420tq anyways without being on borrowed time so several ways we can get there and be safe and reiable PENDING HOW MUCH MONEY YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO SPEND. dont get it twisted and dont let people fool you this is a expensive endevour you are thinking of embarking on so dont think 1k is gonna get you there or even 5k if you get my drift if that does not scare you and you dont minds saving up for parts then let go

Remember dont build any car on Credit Card either pay it all off so you owe noone at the end of it.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks fun! hopefully ill join the fun when i get mine
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:47 PM

The best I could get.

Totally ghetto style, the best way I could get under the car.
Attached Thumbnails Help me build a monster...-img_9656.jpg   Help me build a monster...-img_7170.jpg   Help me build a monster...-img_4595.jpg   Help me build a monster...-img_1577.jpg   Help me build a monster...-img_6694.jpg  

Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok so thats a stock intercooler and stock exhaust system LOL look like only thing aftermarket is a intake so all stock and of course cant check out the tune so basically stock like evo so now get the tune checked out compression and leakdown test if those come back good then your ready to start modding
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Stealthgyro3
As far as goals that I want out of this machine... I guess that would be insane torque and speed.
your first steps should be to read, then read some more. once you think you're done reading, go read again.

you need to educate yourself before investing ANY money into modifications. look into the evo modding for dummies thread at https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-dummies.html. if you have any questions about specific parts, reviews, etc, go to google and search for "site:forums.evolutionm.net <search text here>" (minus the quotes).

knowledge is power
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jvlazzar
your first steps should be to read, then read some more. once you think you're done reading, go read again.

you need to educate yourself before investing ANY money into modifications. look into the evo modding for dummies thread at https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-dummies.html. if you have any questions about specific parts, reviews, etc, go to google and search for "site:forums.evolutionm.net <search text here>" (minus the quotes).

knowledge is power

this exactly! not to sound like a d*** but it doesnt sound like u are ready to handle this kind of car yet, especially saying all u want is insane speed/tq as your goal, and a 42r turbo on a stock block ... with that mindset is where these cars get wrapped around telephone poles or trees... take it easy and one step at a time...

i been working on my 2 evo's now for 5 years... it doesnt happen overnight... i also went from not knowing what a spark plug was to pretty much building my car on my own ( ok maybe not the entire car ) , thanks to the "how to" section and other members on here...

enjoy the car dude! just keep up with maintenance and she will treat u right!
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For now, the first things I would suggest on the car are pretty simple and you could do most of it on your own. I'm seeing a few vacuum lines in the engine bay that don't look like they've been zip tied down, just go through those and zip tie them in. Also, it looks like you may have a 2G DSM Blow off valve in the car, which may not necessarily be a bad thing if it isn't leaking. You may want to get that changed at some point. Check your spark plugs and make sure those are good, and of course engine oil and coolant. From there I would suggest contacting a reputable shop in the area (or a few) and then go decide how big you want to go.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your goals is what we need to give you a proper suggestion. will you take this to the drag strip, road course, autox or just a fun street car then of course an estimate budget you are willing to spend.

if its just a fun street car i would suggest steer clear of a 42r and start with a basic bolt on setup. replace that plastic dv with a 9 metal dv or a synapse or cobb. then look for a tuner here on the forums. get a few pulls done and analyzed will let your tuner see the condition of your current tune and if it was manipulated in any way. if all things look normal then go for a turbo back exhaust a boost controller(will depend on your tuner but i suggest a 3-port). then get tuned with this setup and enjoy the car. you can later on add to your mod list from there.

good luck and keep us updated.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

There is absolutely nothing done to your car except an intake.

The number one thing you should NEVER do, is try to tune the car yourself. Until you intimately understand what every single piece of hardware under your hood does, don't think you can tune your own car. Leave it to the professionals.

-Acree
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
IMO it will cost 15K to build the DRIVETRAIN. Everything else is extra. Its a lot of money (as was said) personally i don't think u have any idea on how much this will actually cost. A bottom end alone will cost 5K (without a core).
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

sell your car and buy mine....700hp monster with top quality parts done deal.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealthgyro3
This is the first car I've owned where people go nutso when you pull up, so I want to have the engine power/speed to back it up.

Also thanks to everyone for the feedback. I totally thought this **** would get looked over.
I'd feel safer if you got to know the car better and better yet, gain some respect towards it. These cars are already 13 sec cars from the factory, which is fast to some folks out there. You should get to know what this car is capable of before ever getting into the modding scene. You could end up shattering a transfer case if not careful and the transfer case alone goes for at least $800 USED. I was lucky enough to just burn my clutch out when I first tried launching my car.

This community is full of nice ppl that are willing to help each other out, especially new guys. Everyone starts somewhere. The Evo is pretty much the ONLY car I've ever worked on and now, the motor is completely taken apart, ready for a build that I'm doing myself. It would help if you came from the DSM scene but it isn't required when you want to mod an Evo.