Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me build a monster...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me build a monster...

Dear evolutionm peeps,
I just purchased a '04 Evo 8 GSR from a "blacklisted" dealership and got a little ****ed on the deal. They said the car was pretty much stock, but even a child with downs can tell that its had a lot of work done to it. What I need help with is, where to begin to really start getting a handle on what my car can do. I will post pics and give whatever info I can.

Love,

Nooblette
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

If you have a reputable shop located near you that works on Evo's, take the car to them...unless you have some experience in the 4G63 world. They should be able to tell you modifications currently on the car and what you are working with. It also wouldn't hurt to find out where your current tune (if additional tuning has been done) sits. If someone simply took all of the aftermarket parts off of the car and left the tune alone, you could be asking for trouble. First, get the car in good working order, then start worrying about making power.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what he said, plus how many miles are on the car? yeah if your not to familiar with the 4g63 if possible take it to a shop, i'm bad with citys not sure where vienna is but a good high performance shop is a start, call them up, explain the situation to them, if they know you'll bring them business they might even have you come in and give you the skinny on your car parts for free, if there is a dyno they could probably do a base run and let you know where your at on hp, tq and air fuel etc.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 07:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Take it to a shop. Don't try messing with it if you don't know what you are doing. Evos are not quite like Hondas...

Mikey
Old Sep 9, 2011, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But I love my honda
Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:50 PM

that sucks dude.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 09:51 PM

Thumbs up ****

So I called a local shop that got generally good reviews and told them the sitch, and they said that its not worth it to take a look because the labor costs would be so extensive I might as well go for an engine rebuild. I guess I'll just go to a place where they dyno **** and get more spec on what the car is putting out so far. Work from there.

Thanks guys,

Nooblette
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:04 PM

And to answer the question it has 55k on it. I just didn't really know where to begin to start seriously beefing up the car. I've heard everything from starting by getting a bigger/better downpipe, to investing in a new turbo kit (AMS GT42R) from what I'm told.

- Nooblette
Old Sep 10, 2011, 01:41 AM

lol who would tell you to just straight to a 42r/
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Post up what your goals are for the car.

With some pics we should be able to identify many mods it has or not.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you need pics and goals without that this thread is pointless. dont be stupid and spend enless money on junk parts you need a detailed plan and a evo shop for those installs you cant do
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP please to do a compression test on the car before you start modding it.This will give you a piece of mind knowing that the engine is in some what good condition and given the deal
the stealership gave you I wouldn't put any thing pass them.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:29 PM

pictures

I'll try and get some under the car ones too, if that helps. As far as goals that I want out of this machine... I guess that would be insane torque and speed. I feel like this car is meant to go fast and stay there, indefinitely.
And to answer the straight to turbo question, that was from one of my friends who drives a Scion XB.

Sincerely,
Noob'n Spice Latte
Attached Thumbnails Help me build a monster...-photo-1-.jpg   Help me build a monster...-photo-2-.jpg   Help me build a monster...-photo.jpg  
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ignore everything you hear from everyone that does/has not owned a 4g63.

Congrads on the car. Have you ever had a fast car before? What are your overall goals?

Also I'm just seeing an intake and air filter lol
Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:27 PM

Overall goals, more speed. Hands down, I want this car to be much more fast and powerful and I don't know where to begin. This is the first car I've owned where people go nutso when you pull up, so I want to have the engine power/speed to back it up.

Also thanks to everyone for the feedback. I totally thought this **** would get looked over.

Quick Reply: Help me build a monster...