Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help With Mod Plan For First Tune (On A Budget)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks very much. Pretty sure I'm going wtih the HFC.

BTW, here's a Cobb Cat back for sale:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...b-catback.html

But I think I've switched my plan to get the Tanabe, too. Maybe someone else wants this?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok ur goal is 375 whp and tqish. Simple first question do you have e85 in the area?... If so plan on around that gas, so in turn minimum basic leave the 02 housing out of the equation right now. Downpipe catback, uve got a hfc so ur good. Now bare minimum if ur goin with e85, is buy a mbc, licp(intercooler and uicp if you got the money) bigger injectors 1000cc + and fuel pump deutschworks walbro, somethin like that. Get tuned. Those boltons even minus the ic and uicp. Thats ur bare minimum for what you need to hit under 400 dependin on dyno, oh forgot one thing a set of t bolt clamps for the ic piping so with e85 and since you never mentioned head studs prolly no more then 27 psi u should get in the 350-400 range. Thus on a budget, but imho save your money, you want quality hp/tq range that basic setup prolly 2gs or so if your havin it installed. My opinion save up for 5gs, do maybe catback or so maybe intake and wait, save up 5 gs, do cams headstuds at same time, and get tuned for e85 400+ should be possible on dynojet,
those are my 0.02 take it with a grain of salt
good luck
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

e85 is not available in VA plus I didn't want to use it anyway because I like to drive in the mountains, do long road trips and I like the concept of the stability and reliability and availability of 93Oct.

How does that change things?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

ok if ur not doin e85, swap the hugely big injectors for somethin 800cc plus enough for gas 450hp, which will be cheaper, cams, only way youll pull more power on 93. but problem is ur inlet temps will prolly start to climb thus the reason for bigger intercooelr and piping, recommendation 3.5 inch, after 400 itll heatsoak with a 3" thus why i swapped mine.

Not for anything but when you get tuned on e85, you can have a map switch fill up when there is e85 around you or pump and change the map on the fly for when you do. I know plenty of guys here in cali with that setup run e85, e85 is a very potent gas its a poor mans race gas to be honest, i know evo guys here runnin about 400 hp on stock turbo with e85. But you gotta remember you need supportin mods. So e85 if available wouldve been a budget build. But figure 3k with tuning for 93. sounds about right, i say youll make at least 350 which for a dd, is plenty good. Me im over 385 and ready to go to 400-450ish but im still runnin pump gas, i need bigger injectors and a double pumper to max mine out.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dastallion951
ok if ur not doin e85, swap the hugely big injectors for somethin 800cc plus enough for gas 450hp, which will be cheaper, cams, only way youll pull more power on 93. but problem is ur inlet temps will prolly start to climb thus the reason for bigger intercooelr and piping, recommendation 3.5 inch, after 400 itll heatsoak with a 3" thus why i swapped mine.
Cool.

What about the O2? Still skip it?

If so, List So Far:

- TBE (Megan DP, 100 Cell HFC, Tanabe Touring Catback)
- S2 cams (see https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tle-turbo.html)
- Beehive Cam Springs?
- SpeedElement OMG Air Filter
- ETS 3.5" FMIC Kit (w / UICP & LICP)
- Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump
- 800cc Injectors
- MBC - ??? Still not sure which one but Hallman In Cabin sounds nice...
- Wide Band O2 Sensor (Innovate LC-1)
- Head Studs for peace of mind.
- Tune

Does that all make sense? TIA.

Last edited by wjamyers; Sep 20, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's what I'm running:

AMS TBE (resonated tp)
Megan coated o2 housing
S2 cams
GSC Beehives
K&N filter, Vibrant MAF adapter
ETS 3" FMIC
ETS LICP
Map Head Studs
AEM Uego
Omnipower 4bar
Walbro 255
850cc Injectors
Stock boost solenoid with upgraded pill (didn't want to mess with MBC)
Tune

VD gives me 359whp on 93 octane. The car idles and drives fine, better gas mileage than stock, but it does surge a bit at lower speeds...nothing too bad, but my wife no longer wants to drive my car. Other than that, the car has been great.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for adding that. I haven't looked in to the stock boost with upgraded pill. I'll read about that too.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

yea the 02 housing might make 20ish hp, but unless you install yourself thats gonna be at least a couple bills labor to swap it onto ur turbo, better wait till down the road when the turbo is on its last leg or power bug bites you whichever comes first, then buy it and install at same time.

yup other then that mods list looks good, you should look into the springs/retainers with the cams because they are aggresive i went from hks 272s on my bc springs/retainers, to the s2s, lets just say valvetrain is a little noisier even with no tick lifters. haha,

but yup you should be 350-370 ish dependin on dyno, dynos also play a difference, numbers only tell part of the story, your best bet for a basis, is to get a baseline pull see what it makes hp/tq, then do a 1/4 mile day, then swap those on then you have an idea of improvement under the curve as well as how much trap speed youve increased, for after. Me my first dyno session till my last one last year, i improve about 100hp and about 80ish tq on pump gas, but added a lot of mods since first dyno. So theres my recommendation, your baseline dyno should be the same one you get tuned after these mods, or else numbers wont be consistent.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 06:19 PM

sorry for coming into the discussion, but what do you recommend for brand of injectors? FIC, PTE, or RC? Do they all work the same?
Im lookin at some RC 1000 cc or FIC 1050cc

thanks
Old Sep 20, 2011, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mikeywick821
sorry for coming into the discussion, but what do you recommend for brand of injectors? FIC, PTE, or RC? Do they all work the same?
Im lookin at some RC 1000 cc or FIC 1050cc

thanks
I need to know too. that's another days-long research project here searching for every brand I know about looking for reviews, problems, etc.

I have heard it said and repeated "FIC".
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

they usually flow more then there rated ccs, you need to ask yourself what kinda gas and what kinda hp numbers you want? then from there the right injectors should be picked out, eg: pump gas / c16 vp anything under 1000cc injectors will work up to 400-500 ish sometimes a bit more before you idcs go sky high. If running e85, 1000cc will be ok on a stock turbo bigger then stock at least 1200+ cc injectors. hope that helps.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:05 PM

Right now I am running
AMS TBE w/ test pipe
injen intake
Fujita intake
ETS licp

I am getting walbro 255 fuel pump and injectors next and plan on doing FMIC
My car is DD
so like 850 -1000cc work?

thanks
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

as long as u dont plan goin e85 yea those will work, my injectors havent even hit high idcs with pte 880s, go with 1k, just for good measure.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:41 AM

okay cool
thanks for the advice
im looking at the FIC 1050cc
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mikeywick821
Right now I am running
AMS TBE w/ test pipe
injen intake
Fujita intake
ETS licp

I am getting walbro 255 fuel pump and injectors next and plan on doing FMIC
My car is DD
so like 850 -1000cc work?

thanks
You might be able to get away with stock injectors if you don't plan to do much more than a FMIC, and not have the added hassle of dealing with scaling and latency values, potential idle issues, and all the other good stuff that comes with running larger injectors. You really won't know until you log your IDC, but I think you might be okay (if you stay on pump gas)

Quick Reply: Help With Mod Plan For First Tune (On A Budget)