Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 7 GTA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2011 | 08:02 PM

Evo 7 GTA

Hey all,

Im new to this site and could n;t really find anything on GTA i just purchased an Evo 7 GTA . Just a couple of things does anyone know how much boost is the car running on standard and just a second thing is does the vortex generator actually work ?

thanks guys and girls.
Old Sep 18, 2011 | 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Penarol
Hey all,

Im new to this site and could n;t really find anything on GTA i just purchased an Evo 7 GTA . Just a couple of things does anyone know how much boost is the car running on standard and just a second thing is does the vortex generator actually work ?

thanks guys and girls.
Welcome.

You're better off going to LancerRegister for technical questions about the GTA since this site is based in the US; And the Evo VII including the GTA were not available here. The vortex generator is suppose to work provided you still have the wing, theoretically.
Old Sep 18, 2011 | 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Hi, welcome and congrats on the evo purchase. Lets see some pics.

This site is around 90% USA users and they don't have many evo 7s and I doubt there is a single GTA over there (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So that'll be why there isn't a very much GTA info on here. I have seen a couple threads about GTAs here from around the world and from aussie.

Evo 7 GSR has a TD05HR-16G6-9.8T and runs about 17 psi peak boost when standard. The GTA has a smaller TD05-15GK2-9.0T. I would imagine a standard GTA will peak about 14-15 psi (a semi educated guess).

As for the vortex generator, I don't know. Lol it won't fit on my car, I'm not even sure what it's supposed to do.

Too bad about them Irish huh?
Old Sep 18, 2011 | 09:01 PM

Welcome and congrats on the evo purchase.
Old Sep 18, 2011 | 09:06 PM

When I was at the auto show a couple years back the rep from mitsu said that the vortex generator works at high speeds to keep the air travel over the car straighter and, therefore, your car straighter too. That is…that you still have the wing
Old Sep 21, 2011 | 05:42 AM

Congratulations!!!

Nice car, remember riding in one when I was looking at the possible options to purchase.

When you decide to tune the car with ecuflash, you'll enjoy it even more.

Please post pics of your ride.
Old Sep 21, 2011 | 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure about the boost but the vortex generator works with or without the wing. There's a video of how it works somewhere on youtube with windtunnel testing. When driving the car creates a low pressure spot behind the car that air is static this creates drag and slows the car. the generator is designed to dispurse this low pressure area and lower the drag of the car. Same idea applies for the evolution ix jdm rear that has the louvers
Old Sep 21, 2011 | 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdordie
Not sure about the boost but the vortex generator works with or without the wing. There's a video of how it works somewhere on youtube with windtunnel testing. When driving the car creates a low pressure spot behind the car that air is static this creates drag and slows the car. the generator is designed to dispurse this low pressure area and lower the drag of the car. Same idea applies for the evolution ix jdm rear that has the louvers
This is totally wrong the way you've explained it. But your implications are sort of correct. (not trying to flame, there's just so much bad aerodynamic info out there)

The vortex generator works with and without the wing. I can happily explain the aerodynamics of it all if you'd like. But there is a .pdf (and apparently a video) floating around on the web if you search.

Basically... without a vortex generator, the air will burble slightly as it departs the trailing edge of the roof line. This DOES create a low pressure area, and it DOES create drag. But the air isn't static. This air, since it is constantly moving is aerodynamically "unclean" and thus when it hits the wing, it isn't really doing anything specific and the wing doesn't generate as much lift (downforce) as it COULD with clean air.

WITH a vortex generator, the air departs the roofline in (shocking!) a vortex lol. This causes the air to spin along a longitudinal axis (read: bumper to bumper). Since this air now has something specific to do, it will reduce LIFT on the rear windscreen, as well as flow more directly at the rear wing. This cleaner air when hitting the rear wing is able to flow more smoothly around the airfoil and thus the wing can create more lift (downforce).

As I said I can elaborate much more on any of these components at request (at least to the best of my abilities...)

Old Sep 21, 2011 | 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Also... I want to see some pics of that automatic!
Old Sep 21, 2011 | 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Mitsu documentation on the vortex generators: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...004/16E_03.pdf
Old Sep 21, 2011 | 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
This is totally wrong the way you've explained it. But your implications are sort of correct. (not trying to flame, there's just so much bad aerodynamic info out there)

The vortex generator works with and without the wing. I can happily explain the aerodynamics of it all if you'd like. But there is a .pdf (and apparently a video) floating around on the web if you search.

Basically... without a vortex generator, the air will burble slightly as it departs the trailing edge of the roof line. This DOES create a low pressure area, and it DOES create drag. But the air isn't static. This air, since it is constantly moving is aerodynamically "unclean" and thus when it hits the wing, it isn't really doing anything specific and the wing doesn't generate as much lift (downforce) as it COULD with clean air.

WITH a vortex generator, the air departs the roofline in (shocking!) a vortex lol. This causes the air to spin along a longitudinal axis (read: bumper to bumper). Since this air now has something specific to do, it will reduce LIFT on the rear windscreen, as well as flow more directly at the rear wing. This cleaner air when hitting the rear wing is able to flow more smoothly around the airfoil and thus the wing can create more lift (downforce).

As I said I can elaborate much more on any of these components at request (at least to the best of my abilities...)

And you are totally wrong as well. Lift is not the same as downforce and no wing ever placed on a car creates lift. The only wing I've ever seen create lift are the ones on airplanes. If wings on cars created lift they would fly off the track as the car would be less planted the faster it went

Just saying...
Old Sep 21, 2011 | 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Hah yeah that ˆ
Old Sep 21, 2011 | 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Yes Vortex generators work.
About 16PSI peak tapering down to 14PSI.

There are a few active people in this forum that would help you out with a 7 GTA. I would use this forum as my first pit-stop for info and help.
Old Sep 21, 2011 | 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdordie
And you are totally wrong as well. Lift is not the same as downforce and no wing ever placed on a car creates lift. The only wing I've ever seen create lift are the ones on airplanes. If wings on cars created lift they would fly off the track as the car would be less planted the faster it went

Just saying...

Do you really want to argue with me on this? Downforce is the EXACT SAME THING AS LIFT. It is applied towards the Earth to keep things ON Earth as opposed to letting them fly away.

Speaking plainly, the only thing that can oppose lift is weight, and my wing sure as heck isn't keeping my rear end planted because of it's weight.

Now are you going to tell me that Fred goes over the top and Barney goes over the bottom and because they're friends they meet up at the trailing edge to explain how Bernoulli and Newton create lift? Because we figured out that was wrong in the 70's too.

This is what I was talking about with incorrect information on aerodynamics being all over the web. The only thing a wing does is provide lift. It doesn't know or care which direction it's providing that lift. On a car it happens to be providing lift in a downward direction. This is still lift.

Last edited by ProPilot04; Sep 21, 2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2011 | 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Technically speaking, you are 100% correct. It's just confusing as to how it was worded with regard to vehicles. Lift and downforce are technically the same but are forces applied from different directions. Obviously with regard to cars, lift is almost certainly an undesirable trait, whereas downforce is something that could be more desirable, at the expense of drag. I've just personally never heard someone say they would desire "lift" or more of it, rather than saying they want "less downforce."

Quick Reply: Evo 7 GTA