Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dynoflash vs any other ecu tuner. Why even bother??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh guys don't forget the only time Al (Dynoflash) ran a 11.6 with a stock ECU was the one that Works flashed for him. His 11.5 with with a poorly tuned standalone.

For Proof please check out Modified Cars (Mag) September.

Last edited by Eric Lyublinsky; Jan 6, 2004 at 10:25 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:24 AM

I have a question.

Does the EVO use OBD2? Just curious if anyone does their own tuning.

It's cool that Dynoflash is out there, but from the domestic car drivers, custom tuning your own ECM seems to be more common.

I live in Colorado (read: mile high). A friend of mine said when he got his 2002 SS Camaro on the dyno, and ran it back-to-back with a hypertech tune, he LOST hp and torque across the powerband.

Dynoflash rep: Do you use special ECM programming for high altitudes? I'm not sure how much it might matter in a boosted car up this high, but on a n/a Camaro a generic tune sure made things worse.

(I am not comparing Dynoflash to Hypertech here, it's pretty obvious this guy knows what he is doing, and not just giving out generic tunes like hypertech) I am really just curious if Dynoflash takes altitude into consideration when he re-programs the ECM.

--------------
1986 Iroc Camaro
305 TPI, Th700R4 Raptor Jr. tranny, w/thunderbolt servo, other upgrades. 3.23 stock rear.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by lowkey

Well, I for one hope you and all the other tuners make enough to stay in business (but not so much that you can afford a Ferrari!). That should keep it competitive and relatively cheap for consumers like me.

Off-topic, a turbo-back exhaust with a high-flow cat and Magnaflow muffler would look good in your catalogue…
Thanks. We do now offer all 3 pieces of the WORKS Exhale series. This is WORKS version of a turbo back exhaust is 100% modular and consists of the WORKS AB, IP and DP. This is allows for easy mixing and matching with all the factory exhaust components. For details, please see www.worksrally.com

However, our version of the turbo back exhaust does not use a muffler of any type and is designed to work with the stock cat in place (of course, our track-oriented customers may choose to run a test pipe instead).

-- DavidV
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by christoscamaro
I have a question.

It's cool that Dynoflash is out there, but from the domestic car drivers, custom tuning your own ECM seems to be more common.

I live in Colorado (read: mile high). A friend of mine said when he got his 2002 SS Camaro on the dyno, and ran it back-to-back with a hypertech tune, he LOST hp and torque across the powerband.

Dynoflash rep: Do you use special ECM programming for high altitudes? I'm not sure how much it might matter in a boosted car up this high, but on a n/a Camaro a generic tune sure made things worse.

(I am not comparing Dynoflash to Hypertech here, it's pretty obvious this guy knows what he is doing, and not just giving out generic tunes like hypertech) I am really just curious if Dynoflash takes altitude into consideration when he re-programs the ECM.

--------------
1986 Iroc Camaro
305 TPI, Th700R4 Raptor Jr. tranny, w/thunderbolt servo, other upgrades. 3.23 stock rear.
Keep in mind, a forced induction car creates its own atmospheric pressure. Comparing an NA car to a turbo at altitude are two very different creatures. This is one of the biggest virtues of forced induction over increased displacement.

I can't speak for Dynoflash (but then, Dynoflash can't speak for Dynoflash here anymore,) but as far as WORKS is concerned, we do a lot of our testing at altitude and under a variety of atmospheric and environmental conditions (above and below sea level in a wide range of temperatures) in creating the WORKS Brain Flash.

-- DavidV
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the response!

So have you had to make major adjustments because of altitude? I know the EVO uses a MAF system, which does help make for an easier tune at any altitude.

Bah, I still have too many questions. I think I will post my own thread here.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Dynoflash is by far the best bargain. I like the boost tube that Works offers with their reflash but it would be tough to justify paying the high price. Reflashing and tuning is not rocket science, it is really pretty simple if you understand the parameters of tuning.
I'd like to see a reflash offered that is similar to Works P2 but closer to the price of Al's dynoflash.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DavidV@WORKS

Not exactly. For instance, when you buy a P2 Brain Flash, you are getting a boost tube that we engineered and built. Free? Hardly.

You actually raise a good example to illustrate my point above. One of the questions that a consumer should ask is that if boost mapping is offered, how is it achieved? I have seen vendor posts to this board describing a 10-minute delay being the workaround for holding boost. At WORKS, we actually took the time to engineer a hard part – the boost tube that comes with every P2 -- to allow the ECU to hit and hold boost as it was intended. Compare our boost charts to others, and you’ll see what a difference this approach makes.
About this, I have a question. What exactly is a "boost tube" and what exactly does it do? I understand the concept, theory and application of boost controllers (mechanical or electronic), but I'm having a problem visualizing how a "tube" would control or affect boost. Where does it go?, what does it look like? specifically what does it affect or control? Please educate me.

Originally posted by DavidV@WORKS
Does it cost us more in both R&D and parts to do it this way? Of course it does. But then, we have our long-term reputations at stake and years from now and time will tell whether the cheaper alternative was in fact just as good or just as safe as the right way of doing it.

Also, consider that the cost of the reflash might reflect the amount of time and expense (both man-hours and dyno time) that went into it. Factored into this is the relative experience and expertise of those involved in creating the maps. If a company were to contract out the ECU mapping to an outside party, conceivably they could have the maps created for a fraction of the cost compared to a company paying its own engineers a salary to do nothing but create maps for the Evo.

-- DavidV
Unless I'm completely in error about this, the creation of "improved" ignition and fuel maps for any particular engine would be a matter of empirically testing many different maps on different cars and hoping that whatever works pretty good on all the cars tested will work on every car out there, right?
This makes the production of generic "improved" maps fairly simple (although time consuming). Now, these maps cannot be very aggressive as there is an ever present danger that a particular engine might not function very well or very safely with an off-the-shelf map, right?
Anyway, although this is not as simple or easy as it sounds, the reflashing of an ECU is basically the remapping of timing and A/F ratios at various points of engine load and speed. These are changed to optimize power output while retaining safety of operation, right? Now, safety of operation is determined by logging the function of the engine and making sure that the values entered in the maps result in more power without knock or excessive exhaust temps, etc.
I don't see how any particular tuner can deviate from these principles to produce effective and safe ECU reflashes. How can there be any significant diffences in reflashes as long as they all produce the same result? Obviously, the best reflash would be the one that's custom made for each car.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky
Oh guys don't forget the only time Al (Dynoflash) ran a 11.6 with a stock ECU was the one that Works flashed for him. His 11.5 with with a poorly tuned standalone.

For Proof please check out Modified Cars (Mag) September.
More lies from the "official Vishnu Instalation Center"! Eric you need to get a grip of yourself.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
More lies from the "official Vishnu Instalation Center"! Eric you need to get a grip of yourself.
Oh really! Now your Slandering. And I have proof. Don't forget your **** stinks not mine.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

stop
Old Jan 7, 2004, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by nastea
stop
I will respect that.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Hey Al, don't bother answering Eric. It's obvious that he just wants to goad you into responding so the little gang can go back to bashing you because you respond...... Don't worry too much about all the mud slinging either. I've had contact with a number of people who view Eric's attacks as well as other's attacks as gratuitous B.S. The dynoflash works and works well and it's a bargain. I know it, you know it and a lot of other ppl know it too. I see where some of the threads that were so egregious have either been taken down or have faded to obscurity. Please don't let this guy entice you into another fight. This is a good thread and we should not allow it to degenerate into the same nasty slime that the other threads became.

Good luck to you. You can count on my business and my support of your products and services. Everybody else in Atlanta who met you and got the dynoflash i'm sure feels the same way

You have no need to defend yourself, everybody can see clearly what's is going on. Please don't take the bait
Old Jan 7, 2004, 08:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by christoscamaro
I have a question.

I'm sure this was answered already however....

Most US Domestic market cars after 1995 have some form of OBD compliant diagnostic port.. All computer controlled cars (for US market) after 97 were required to be OBD-II complaint.. So the answer to the evo is yes.. its OBD-II.

Tuning the ECM (Mitsu calls it a PCM, Powertrain Control Module) is a little more complex.. For one reason or another, things like the Power Programmer (That are available to allow the end-user to flash their own ecu) don't seem to be available, or nobody has made one that will work. It seems the tuner market prefers to use Piggybacks (though some of the hypertech products are indeed piggyback products) entire replacement ECU's, or Tuner Flashes (not end-user applied)

I do know that the inline code in the Evo is fairly complex, and rewritten as part of the flashing process and therefore if you foul up flashing the computer, it renders the entire computer basically useless, where the Chevy's tuning parameters are stored seperately from the ECU's Firmware (both are flashable however)

In addition, the data is typically encrypted and not easily extracted (downloaded off) from the ECU as it can be from many american cars (So you can revert back to its previous settings)

Therefore most flashes need to be done by a professional with the right tools, and parameter changes are a little more complex than adjusting shift points, converter lockup, speedo correction, etc.. that you can find and adjust on a GM car.

Ultimately the answer is nobody has developed hardware intended for the end-user to do what a power programmer can do.. the closest thing we have to some of the hypertech products (or jet-chip products) that plug Inline to the ECU, are the piggyback tunable fuel computers.

I would love nothing more than to have the hardware to tune my own ECM.. But after researching the expense, its just not cost effective to do it as an individual (Lets just say the software alone can cost as much as $3000, and the hardware ranges in the $2000 range) Plus you can REALLY foul up your car with this stuff if you aren't really familiar with engines, and tuning (more specifically how tuning is done on these kinds of cars)
Old Jan 7, 2004, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally posted by silverEVO8

Hey Al, don't bother answering Eric. It's obvious that he just wants to goad you into responding so the little gang can go back to bashing you because you respond...... Don't worry too much about all the mud slinging either. I've had contact with a number of people who view Eric's attacks as well as other's attacks as gratuitous B.S. The dynoflash works and works well and it's a bargain. I know it, you know it and a lot of other ppl know it too. I see where some of the threads that were so egregious have either been taken down or have faded to obscurity. Please don't let this guy entice you into another fight. This is a good thread and we should not allow it to degenerate into the same nasty slime that the other threads became.

Good luck to you. You can count on my business and my support of your products and services. Everybody else in Atlanta who met you and got the dynoflash i'm sure feels the same way

You have no need to defend yourself, everybody can see clearly what's is going on. Please don't take the bait
Agreed. Al, please don't let the members of your "fan club" irk you into a response.
It's abundantly clear they have found your buttons and they love to push them. Actually they love to stomp on them.

Silver - as to your other post about what goes into reflashing, I also agree.
Everyone offering a reflash, regardless of their specific methods, are playing in the same ballpark, and have to
do similar things to achieve similar results.
There is no "magic" involved.

I believe this is what aggravates most Dynoflash detractors.
Several venders offered a service for what seemed like a reasonable price.
In walked a guy who offered a similar service for less.
"He's a hack" they cry. "He's not a real tuner" they wail.
But at the end of the day, as the old saying goes, you turn them over and they all look the same...

Gee Al, maybe you should have been charging a grand for your service.
Maybe you would have gotten more respect as a real tuner...

Mike's dad

Last edited by mikesevo8; Jan 7, 2004 at 08:21 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Without starting a whole debate, its pretty obvious that the "Tuner Market" is based on price, or JDM.. The perception in the Tuner market is that if its Japanese its got to be better, or if its really expensive, it has to make more power. To some extent, there's some truth in it.. But its within reason.. there are three types of products you can buy..

Functional
PRetty
Functional and Pretty

Which do you think will be most expensive? Most of the tuner market is as much about bragging rite (How much you spend, how much of it is JDM, how complex, how loud, etc..)

The performance market is not quite as bent on how much you spend, and how pretty it looks (though it doesnt hurt to have nice looking products) since many of us could not care less about impressing someone at a car show and many of us prefer to keep a low profile on the street.

Quick Reply: Dynoflash vs any other ecu tuner. Why even bother??