Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

JDM HVAC control

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the forum members was working on this for a while but I think he sold his Evo so the project stalled.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 41ace
lol i just got mine (evo) 2 years ago. i wanted to challenge myself to do this project. read some threads but it seems like no one know how. Lexcite is the only one who had successfully did it on his car, with him being absent from the forums, i have no other way to get help. i nearly have all the required parts. sensors, mounts, controller. only missing the harnesses, heater assembly and the blower fan. i thought i can poke around some old threads for more info. LOL
I am not positive that Lexite did this on an Evo. I remember the dash board looking different from an Evo.

I believe Smurf is talking about Acree. He was working on the climate control conversion and he also did some interior LED conversions for the Evo 9 and X.

I have been toying around with using a couple servos, two temp sensors, and a microcontroller to get it done. I am curious if I could get the mirrors to fold in as well. Just need to see if I could fit a micro servo strong enough to do it.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
I've thought the same thing. I'd buy the OE servos and see if they will program like a normal servo (they should, but I'm not sure). that way they will bolt right up and require no custom fab

lexcite you're correct; he did it on a gt-a lancer. the difference is that the UK and RU and JDM etc., etc. all have an 16 or 20-pin harness that plugs into the back of the hvac which serves the purpose of the blower controller. the US evos have a 6-pin harness that plugs in which serves the same purpose. so, in addition to the different blower motor, we are already 8 steps behind because we have to swap that whole connector out for the new one

and yea, acree was working on it but he didnt get any further than mapping out the wires (i have this also) and buying one of the servos and an extra heater core box to mess around with
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An extreme hassle, but would definitely be cool if someone actually finished it.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:04 PM

2 sensors are not enough to do the conversion, you need all three. one is for the radiator fan, one is for the interior temp that does in side the 3 small cut out near the steering wheel, and the other one is for the ambient temp using photometric computing which placed on the dash. what i got here (pics) are the parts needed for the conversion, notice you cant use the one from the outlander because its not a complete unit like the one in the lancer Cedia/evo. Lexcite lancer has the same control as us (USDM), and i still wonder where did he get all the harnesses from and i doubt that his car comes with everything there since it used the same AC unit as the USDM one. ive been contacting United Emirate Mitsubishi to see if they got those parts but so far no reply. i know the only countries that has this AUTO AC unit with LHD are Germany, UEA, and Russia, i wish i know the language.
Attached Thumbnails JDM HVAC control-image.asp-cd-e1-imageid-123539456.gif   JDM HVAC control-image.asp-cd-e1-imageid-123650048.gif  

Last edited by 41ace; Dec 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:21 PM

this is what i got so far,
Attached Thumbnails JDM HVAC control-20131203_121103.jpg   JDM HVAC control-20131203_121113.jpg   JDM HVAC control-20131203_121125.jpg   JDM HVAC control-20131203_121209.jpg   JDM HVAC control-20131203_121238.jpg  

Old Dec 3, 2013, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Lexcite lancer has the same control as us (USDM), and i still wonder where did he get all the harnesses from and i doubt that his car comes with everything there since it used the same AC unit as the USDM one
unless i'm missing something, we have this clip:
http://photo.qip.ru/users/lexcite/40...#mainImageLink

but not this one:

Picture of both:
White clip on top is from the first picture which I know our car has
Black clip on the bottom is the clip we're missing I think but that the UE/JDM/RU cars have

If someone can correct me and tell me that we already have that bottom one, I'll start looking at this again. For now, the 240sx in the garage is the car in pieces
Old Dec 3, 2013, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
unless i'm missing something, we have this clip:

but not this one:

Picture of both:
White clip on top is from the first picture which I know our car has
Black clip on the bottom is the clip we're missing I think but that the UE/JDM/RU cars have

If someone can correct me and tell me that we already have that bottom one, I'll start looking at this again. For now, the 240sx in the garage is the car in pieces

this is what we're missing. the long one, i think we have the short black housing one, im sure thats is for the bottom electronic controls ( rear windshield defrost, etc.

Last edited by 41ace; Dec 3, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Hm, maybe I missed that when I pulled my HVAC (I didn't pull it all the way out or look under it, so I could have)

That would make life easier. My only thoughts otherwise are some sort of micro-controller like what mt057 was thinking.

I don't care for the "auto" part at all, I just want the electronic part
Old Dec 3, 2013, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd still just port over an Outlander one. There is minimal integration to the car, just extract the outlander harness and remove the stock AC wiring. You really only have some wiring to the fuse box and a few ecu wires, the rest is standalone. It's a big job if you've never done anything like that before, but not nearly as big as getting a single control head and trying to build a system around it. Take a complete one that already works and modify it to fit the application.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 03:32 PM

Hm, maybe I missed that when I pulled my HVAC (I didn't pull it all the way out or look under it, so I could have)

That would make life easier. My only thoughts otherwise are some sort of micro-controller like what mt057 was thinking.

i think in order for it to work you need all the items, even if you want auto or not. because the long connector is actually for the servo that is on the heater assembly and to work the blower. according to lexcite we only need the long connector and a harness that connects to the condenser fan sensor for it to work. assuming the heater assembly has all the connections that we need. i really want to buy the heater assembly to see how it works.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by superbovine
I'd still just port over an Outlander one. There is minimal integration to the car, just extract the outlander harness and remove the stock AC wiring. You really only have some wiring to the fuse box and a few ecu wires, the rest is standalone. It's a big job if you've never done anything like that before, but not nearly as big as getting a single control head and trying to build a system around it. Take a complete one that already works and modify it to fit the application.
but where can you find these harnesses? most junk yards, well the one in socal doesnt allow people to go in and tear down a complete dash for small parts. the dealers only go by part numbers. last time i checked, you have to buy the entire dash harness which is a thousand dollars.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 135 Likes on 124 Posts
The entire JDM ETACS setup would be what you need for folding mirrors and all that jazz. There is a pile of subtle stuff they got. Too rich for me to pull off, however if you have deep pockets maybe check into it.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The nicest thing about the swap from the outlander or other would be the clean look. Like Demon, I just want the electronic parts one way or another. Folding mirrors and non cable driven blower door gears would be awesome. I would love the swap if someone would tackle it and glad to help any way I can.

Although a micro controller could be set up and hidden. The program could handle servo control which would open/close the blower/blend doors based upon programmed temp.

I wanted to be lazy and attach two high torque servos directly to the gears under the dash and control each one by a potentiometer. Hopefully the servo would not be in the way. It position could be adjusted though.

With temperature sensors (three sounds great) we could make it automatic. It would also be possible to hook up a display to show the current temp, desired temp, temp outside, or whatever.

Last edited by mt057; Dec 3, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
but where can you find these harnesses? most junk yards, well the one in socal doesnt allow people to go in and tear down a complete dash for small parts. the dealers only go by part numbers. last time i checked, you have to buy the entire dash harness which is a thousand dollars.
Find a better junkyard
Look for recycling yards, places that primarily take everything instead of just cars. Places that take in aluminum by the pound, old appliances etc, those are the best places to go. The majority of the time those are the places that will charge you $5 for a whole dash... you are doing them a favor removing it, as they would have to anyway before crushing the vehicle for steel.
The harness won't be $5 because of the copper, but less than $50 for sure.
Conversely, find a decent salvage yard and they will let you do whatever you want out there... as far as they are concerned if you want to spend a half a day in a hot car that's your business. If you want to play the angles, take wires you know you don't need on the harness (like speedo plug, radio etc) and rip them apart... tell them it's damaged and you want a discount lol. No one else is going to want something like that anyway usually.

Originally Posted by mt057
The nicest thing about the swap from the outlander or other would be the clean look. I just want my mirrors to move and not have to mess with sticking gears. I would love the swap if someone would tackle it and glad to help any way I can.

I looked into this a while back for someone. It is pretty damn straight forward to have the whole system in there, minor trimming of plastics etc. Mounting the controls was the biggest thing as they won't fit in the Lancer fascia. There is a good chance that the EU control head has the same damn plugs on it as the Outlander one anyway though.

Quick Reply: JDM HVAC control