Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

JDM HVAC control

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM HVAC control

Hello all,

I was looking on japanparts.com and came across a jdm version of our hvac. I was looking at a few different write ups on how to mod my hvac and relocate it to the lower cubby, but, if everything will plug into the jdm unit, and it will work properly, then id rather go with it. heres the part i found for reference

http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_d...SEARCH_page=11

let me know if anyone has done it or knows if it will work
Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2011, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For $400???? No, thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
its not that simple, the jdm version is controlled by the ecu.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
JDM is full electronic. You could mod yours to look like the JDM one, but actually using the JDM one would be a whole other story.

I'd like to see someone who successfully swapped a JDM one into a USDM evo...just to see the work and cost involved
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1UpMoto
its not that simple, the jdm version is controlled by the ecu.
wait WHAT? is it controlled my the cars ecu or does the a/c itself have its own small ecu internally, that would make more sense. It can't be that complicated, that would make no sense. But 300$ for that control panel seems a bit much, im sure u could probly source one used for cheaper than that. but i don't think its just knobs. i wish it were just digital controller pulling and pushing the rods back and forth bc i would do the swap in a heartbeat, even if it cost 400$.

either way i ended up just getting a custom, oem style relocation kit that OWNS the orbital kit hands down. a guy on this forum was making a bunch of them
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by turbotalawd
For $400???? No, thanks.
I dont mind spending the money on something other people dont have. Although i do realize there are cheaper ways to go about this...

So, i guess now the question is, IF i do get a hold of the jdm wiring, will our ecu accept it and will there be a place for the wires to go in our heater core and ac...
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

It's all electronically controlled climate system, don't ask why they decided to make it so complicated and then not offer the same stuff on USDM evo's. A lot of the parts are different from what I understand, you'd likely need a donor car and a JDM or UKDM service manual and a lot of patience to make it work
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by evo9nuuub
wait WHAT? is it controlled my the cars ecu or does the a/c itself have its own small ecu internally, that would make more sense. It can't be that complicated, that would make no sense. But 300$ for that control panel seems a bit much, im sure u could probly source one used for cheaper than that. but i don't think its just knobs. i wish it were just digital controller pulling and pushing the rods back and forth bc i would do the swap in a heartbeat, even if it cost 400$.

either way i ended up just getting a custom, oem style relocation kit that OWNS the orbital kit hands down. a guy on this forum was making a bunch of them
I found that guys link and i agree, his looks way better than the orbital and i am actually on the list for him to make me one. heres the link;

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...fab-paint.html

im entertaining the idea of the jdm unit until someone proves to me it cant work. Seeing how i dont know much about the unit, ill have to wait till more info unfolds..
Old Dec 2, 2013, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Drift to Grip
I found that guys link and i agree, his looks way better than the orbital and i am actually on the list for him to make me one. heres the link;

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...fab-paint.html

im entertaining the idea of the jdm unit until someone proves to me it cant work. Seeing how i dont know much about the unit, ill have to wait till more info unfolds..
you need more than just a heater assembly and a controller. you will need to search for all kind of sensors, connectors, hose, etc... it will ended up cost you at least $3000 usd.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 41ace
you need more than just a heater assembly and a controller. you will need to search for all kind of sensors, connectors, hose, etc... it will ended up cost you at least $3000 usd.
2 years later...
Old Dec 2, 2013, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Unless you fab something up yourself don't expect anyone in the US to do this. I've been toying with ways of accomplishing it but haven't come up with anything yet.

It's a different dash wiring harness than the US Evos and a bunch of misc sensors and a different heater blower motor and heater assembly

Basically, a huge undertaking and will require a lot of custom electrical work
Old Dec 2, 2013, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Porting over a US Outlander auto AC would probably be much easier.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by mt057
2 years later...
lol i just got mine (evo) 2 years ago. i wanted to challenge myself to do this project. read some threads but it seems like no one know how. Lexcite is the only one who had successfully did it on his car, with him being absent from the forums, i have no other way to get help. i nearly have all the required parts. sensors, mounts, controller. only missing the harnesses, heater assembly and the blower fan. i thought i can poke around some old threads for more info. LOL
Old Dec 3, 2013, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by superbovine
Porting over a US Outlander auto AC would probably be much easier.
i did searched around, i even went to the dealership to ask for outlander limited edition parts. but it seems like they have different blower motor and controller. the photo sensor is also different. same with the montero limited, the photo sensor has two connectors rather than one, that is what we need.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 41ace
lol i just got mine (evo) 2 years ago. i wanted to challenge myself to do this project. read some threads but it seems like no one know how. Lexcite is the only one who had successfully did it on his car, with him being absent from the forums, i have no other way to get help. i nearly have all the required parts. sensors, mounts, controller. only missing the harnesses, heater assembly and the blower fan. i thought i can poke around some old threads for more info. LOL
lexcite also has a non US evo so he has the wiring in place already for everything

it is not nearly as easy as his thread makes it seem

Quick Reply: JDM HVAC control