Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

stock replacement rotors

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question stock replacement rotors

im looking to replace my stock rotors on an 8
looking for drilled and/or slotted
with the purpose of street use and light track use
what is everyone running? and preferences on them?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally recommend the performance friction 2 piece for the front and oem or centric blanks for the rear.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't get drilled unless you want to be buying new rotors again right away.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Don't get drilled unless you want to be buying new rotors again right away.
so slotted would be a better option?
i was looking at

works

http://www.maperformance.com/evo-vii...-rotors-works/

DBA

http://www.maperformance.com/evo-vii...ke-rotors-dba/
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drilled rotors tend to crack from what I've heard, most just go slotted as you mentioned above. Be sure to check these out as well, cost effective and we've heard nothing but rave reviews. Of course if you're looking for something more hardcore those PFC two piece rotors can't be beat.

http://www.maperformance.com/rotorpr...o-viii-ix.html

Good website choice by the way
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

In all honesty, the question is vague when it comes to rotor selection.

"Light track use" doesn't necessarily give us an idea of what you want. As in what type of track you'd be using them on and how often. I mean... the stock brembos, while not perfect, are certainly a phenomenal brake for this car. Street use all day long, with light track use.

There are rotors that are upgrades so to speak if you HAVE to change your rotors (like... they're bad). I would do some searching (there are a bunch of threads) on which pad/rotor combo is best for what you want.

So I guess...

1. Are your stock rotors done?
2. What is "light track use" and what speeds are we talking?
3. What pads are you running?
4. What tires/size?

Etc...

But there are thousands of people that are more qualified than I for this discussion. Just an fyi (hence my search recommendation)
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

In all honesty, the question is vague when it comes to rotor selection.

"Light track use" doesn't necessarily give us an idea of what you want. As in what type of track you'd be using them on and how often. I mean... the stock brembos, while not perfect, are certainly a phenomenal brake for this car. Street use all day long, with light track use.

There are rotors that are upgrades so to speak if you HAVE to change your rotors (like... they're bad). I would do some searching (there are a bunch of threads) on which pad/rotor combo is best for what you want.

So I guess...

1. Are your stock rotors done?
2. What is "light track use" and what speeds are we talking?
3. What pads are you running?
4. What tires/size?

Etc...

But there are thousands of people that are more qualified than I for this discussion. Just an fyi (hence my search recommendation)
i have looked around a little. alot of people were running DBs.
1. its beginning to die, 100k miles on them. i feel the vibrations when braking.
2. im talking circuits. top speeds of 130 possibly. but this is somtehing i would like to get into. not something i do now.
3. im running EBC redstuff right now
4. im runnning 17/8 reo1s right now but will soon be getting 17/9.5 or 18/9.5
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bnr34rb26dett
i have looked around a little. alot of people were running DBs.
1. its beginning to die, 100k miles on them. i feel the vibrations when braking.
2. im talking circuits. top speeds of 130 possibly. but this is somtehing i would like to get into. not something i do now.
3. im running EBC redstuff right now
4. im runnning 17/8 reo1s right now but will soon be getting 17/9.5 or 18/9.5
Nice...

Well, pad and rotor choice should be directly linked to tire size/choice when you're looking. So there's that.

If you're feeling vibrations, then I'd say your rotors are cooked, but maybe you can just turn them.

If you're looking for stock replacements, I'd say slotted is your best bet if you want the high speed purpose use. At least in the front. I'm not convinced yet if they're necessary for the back.

If you want to go the next step, you can go to a 2 piece rotor up front. That will help the system run a bit cooler, and will at the very least, save your wheelbearings from the heat and allow you to simply swap rotor blanks instead of an entire system. It's also lighter, but the entry cost is typically higher.

Most people suggest upgrading the pads, and going to stainless lines, a better fluid, and setting up some type of cooling system initially. Once you learn how to drive the car and understand what type of friction you want, what your budget is etc, you can move from there. OBVIOUSLY, if you need rotors, you need rotors, so I get that... But on the track, if you're running a harsh pad its conceivable to rip through a set of pads and rotors in a couple of track events.

Maybe try cross posting in the suspension and handling braking forum? I'm reluctant to give concrete choices simply because I don't know, and thats only because I haven't researched it as much as braking is my winter project.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:47 AM

slotted only ftw
Old Sep 22, 2011, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Nice...

Well, pad and rotor choice should be directly linked to tire size/choice when you're looking. So there's that.

If you're feeling vibrations, then I'd say your rotors are cooked, but maybe you can just turn them.

If you're looking for stock replacements, I'd say slotted is your best bet if you want the high speed purpose use. At least in the front. I'm not convinced yet if they're necessary for the back.

If you want to go the next step, you can go to a 2 piece rotor up front. That will help the system run a bit cooler, and will at the very least, save your wheelbearings from the heat and allow you to simply swap rotor blanks instead of an entire system. It's also lighter, but the entry cost is typically higher.

Most people suggest upgrading the pads, and going to stainless lines, a better fluid, and setting up some type of cooling system initially. Once you learn how to drive the car and understand what type of friction you want, what your budget is etc, you can move from there. OBVIOUSLY, if you need rotors, you need rotors, so I get that... But on the track, if you're running a harsh pad its conceivable to rip through a set of pads and rotors in a couple of track events.

Maybe try cross posting in the suspension and handling braking forum? I'm reluctant to give concrete choices simply because I don't know, and thats only because I haven't researched it as much as braking is my winter project.
thanks for the input. im set on getting slotted now. i would like to get pads if necessary but i feel like ebc redstuff is good for the streets already. i was just wondering how good DBA was. never heard of them... while works, we've all heard of them
Old Sep 22, 2011, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen a lot of bad reviews on DBA. I was thinking about getting the 4000's; then I read all these:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...0+Series+Rotor

--------------------------

How do you guys feel about Stoptech?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
ive beat the ever loving **** out of my Crossdrilled/slotted rotor pro's from MAP.

5000 miles. No cracking, no nothing. Plenty of 125-130mph 1/4 runs...
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

i bought slotted rotopro's for all 4 corners and some stoptech pads. for some easy daily driving, this is perfect. pads are super quiet, but not aggressive at all (street driving only). rotors can get quite expensive, so it really depends on your wallet. i did a full brake job rotors/pads/fluids for what some ppl pay for front rotors. i really wouldn't stress the rotors as much as pads, but it's your choice.

p.s. MAP has some damn good deals
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran StopTech slotted front and rear on my IX MR for around 140-150,000 miles...no that's not a typo...with zero issues. plenty of autocrossing, and hard daily driving. I'm going to be going with another set for the IX MR I just picked up
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bnr34rb26dett
im looking to replace my stock rotors on an 8
looking for drilled and/or slotted
with the purpose of street use and light track use
what is everyone running? and preferences on them?
same here gotta start looking for new rotors, I keep hearing Stoptech is the way to go as far as durability and performance.

Quick Reply: stock replacement rotors