Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Something terribly wrong with front wheels?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something terribly wrong with front wheels?

So I have done my homework on this issue but I am still clueless and being on a budget I figured I would run some ideas by the Evom community before pulling the trigger on parts. First, I bought the car and the brakes squealed pretty bad, I had the dealership replace them and put new tires on before I bought the car. I pick up the car and the brakes squeal with the new pads and tires just the same. Long story short, dealer told me to get lost when I asked them to fix them again. I replaced the rotors and the pads with posi quiet ceramic pads and r1 slotted rotors assuming the dealership had used trash pads. The squeeling continued even after bedding the new pads and rotors. I bought shims and this ceramic anti squeal compound that is supposedly the bee's knees but the squealing continued. I am wondering if it could possibly be a wheel bearing that is causing the squeal? When I am driving straight I get this intermittent chirping sound at low speeds that sometimes sticks and becomes a squeal when I am not braking. I have noticed that the brake squeal is a lot worse if I brake after I hear chirping. Sometimes if I tap the brakes the chirping will stop, sometimes it does not. The chirping is random, it does not happen all the time. I get the normal wheel bearing rumbling if I turn hard to either side but not if I am driving straight. Could this indicate a dry bearing? Would that cause brake squeal to be worse?

Short version: Brakes squeal terribly, something makes a chirping noise when I am not braking, and sounds like it is near the brakes, randomly and sometimes is a constant high pitched squeal. Some days it doesn't chirp at all, every now and again the brakes won't squeal or won't squeal as bad. Could it be a wheel bearing or something else?

Thanks for any input!
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
For some people getting the Evo brakes to be quiet seems impossible. I use the orginal metal shims, these seem necessary for quiet brakes. When I install pads I make sure there is some grease on both sides of these shims and I never have had noise.

If the dealer installed OEM pads then you took off some very nice and expensive pads. However, OEM pads will make some noise but not excessive.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:03 PM

Wheel bearing would not make a noise like that it would most likely be a roaring type noise.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Wheel bearing noise is hissing type sound.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

have you tried bedding the brakes in?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:53 PM

The oem metal shims were on the brakes originally and then I tried the gyrodisk shims but those squeal as well. I'm pretty sure they were not OEM pads because they had no bevel or shape, they were a flat rectangle on the braking surface. I have bedded the brakes several times and it just seems to heat them up and they squeal louder. It's strange because they make a shreaking noise even when braking hard at 60 mph not just the normal 20 mph and lower. I suppose I'll take it to a mechanic and see what they think because it is extremely loud and the wife isn't a fan. The chirping while I drive and rumble when I turn is the disconcerting thing really. Maybe wheel bearings and stuck calipers? Anyone know a place near Ft. Lewis WA that will rebuild calipers? Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

you can by that anti squeak stuff and it works crazy good. For my bike at least, its made for cars but I spray it on the pads of my downhill bike, and it shuts them the hell up.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure the hardware kit for the calipers is there and set PROPERLY. Also you can use Anti-Sieze on the backs of the pads since it never dries out to prevent squeaking.