Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

any ways to keap the evo 9 six speed tranny from breaking or having any problems?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any ways to keap the evo 9 six speed tranny from breaking or having any problems?

i heard the evo 9 mr 6 speed tranny is pretty weak and i just got an evo 9 mr with the six speed. i will track it (rarely) and race sometimes on it but it will be my daily driver. so my question is, are there any ways to prevent ( or have less chance of breaking) the 6 speed from breaking or having any problems? Any advice on how to launch it properly or maybe shifting points? any other info about preventing the tranny from breaking and staying healthy would be great. thank you!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

i have had my MR for over two years and no issues. but i dont launch or take it to the strip. i do take it for autox and pushed it hard without any issues. i was recommended to change all the tranny fluids and done it twice. im the second owner and the first owner only put 4k miles on it
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Look into a shep six speed upgrade.

Last edited by Tuxevo; Sep 27, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ have you been hiding in a closet every since you have owned an evo? i think 95% of people on here know about shephard trans and ya i would think they occasionally work on transmissions since their name is SHEPHARD TRANSMISSIONS /sarcasm. and yes he is very good with the evo transmissions.

op John shepard is a member on this forum im pretty sure. he is the owner of shep transmissions. search for him.

you could also try bushcur racing they do good work as well.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One idea....learn to drive

Second idea...make sure you do all the scheduled maintenance/fluid changes on time.

if that doesn't work, call shep or TRE and get it beefed up.

I raced/launched/beat on my IX MR for right at 180,000 miles, yes 180,000 miles. The transmission was as smooth as the day I drove it off the lot. the new owner is still loving it.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

^What are you talking about?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
^What are you talking about?
no 2010'er, wtf are YOU talking about?

my post was pretty self explanitory
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:23 PM

how much power your running is obv gonna be a big difference maker...
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
no 2010'er, wtf are YOU talking about?

my post was pretty self explanitory
Sorry 2005'er, that was for the post above yours. I guess I'll go ahead and get off your forum.

Last edited by Tuxevo; Sep 27, 2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

just change the fluid change the fluid change the fluid!!!!! make sure you change the fluid when its recommended and use only the factory recommended stuff.

have fun with it and dont do anything stupid and you will be fine I have had 2 MRs and no problems at all
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
Sorry 2005'er, that was for the post above yours. I guess I'll go ahead and get of your forum.
his was pretty self explanitory too. shep is like the #1 name everybody thinks about when the word "transmission" is mentioned around here. has been for years. your post made it seem like he was some unknown bum working out of his mom's garage or something. that's what he was getting at.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Commandant02
besides 12 sec club? nuff said.
I ran 12.8 in my EVO IX MR bone stock. Then I added another 100whp.

And lets not even talk about running it around a racetrack where you have to turn, and brake.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Commandant02
you're still in the 12 sec club bro. nuff said. besides my nova is running it in 9.
yeah, and that's all it does. straight line acceleration does not a racecar make. there are EVO's on this site running 7's. hell, there are EVO's running 9's that don't look like a POS (as all nova's do because that's just what they are), and can run a road course like a champ.

So, anyone want to go in on a pool and see how long it takes for the mods to ban this troll?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:26 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by IX_MR
i heard the evo 9 mr 6 speed tranny is pretty weak and i just got an evo 9 mr with the six speed. i will track it (rarely) and race sometimes on it but it will be my daily driver. so my question is, are there any ways to prevent ( or have less chance of breaking) the 6 speed from breaking or having any problems? Any advice on how to launch it properly or maybe shifting points? any other info about preventing the tranny from breaking and staying healthy would be great. thank you!
First thing you want to do is read the big 6-speed thread and find out why the transmissions can fail. I can tell you right now, based on your post, that it's not what you think.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why are looking into upgrading the transmission, planning for big power?

What the hell happened to that troll. If it wasn't for ODUB's quotes it looks like the mods erased all traces of his existence. LOL.

Quick Reply: any ways to keap the evo 9 six speed tranny from breaking or having any problems?