Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is FP Nuts? $2500 for a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the point of creating a thread to complain about turbo prices?? If you don't like it, shop elsewhere or keep it stock.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with you sobo that the price seems way out of line. I bought my 64mm JB Red used for about $1000. That's all that I could afford at the time.

I don't see how my $1000 turbo would justify a $1500 higher price tag just because it spools 200 RPM sooner. Hell, I think that a fully preloaded JB Red will probably outspool a BB Red that is not preloaded(base WG pressure setting). That's just my opinion of course and as such is not worth much if anything.

Last edited by sparky; Sep 28, 2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolved Monkey
Whats the point of creating a thread to complain about turbo prices?? If you don't like it, shop elsewhere or keep it stock.
Why so? Sobo can pretty much start a thread about whatever he wants as long as he adheres to forum rules. In fact, you don't have to read the thread or much less post on it if you don't like it. Gee.

Last edited by sparky; Sep 28, 2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hell I didn't even want to pay 2000 for the JB black. I found a used Shearer T3 kit for 1350 and a HTA 3532 for 1450. That put me at 2800 for a T3 turbo kit. Granted I had to buy a few gaskets but that was not much.

I like the idea of the BB FP Black. I understand that FP needs to make money and it is my choice as where to spend mine.

I don't want to spend 2500 every time I want a new turbo and I don't have to worry about inspection where I live.

Stock frame turbos are cool but not worth 2500 a pop in my book. To each their own.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A billet wheel and new cover machined for the bigger wheel isn't research, learn to run a 5 axis mill cnc mill, call a foundry get them to cast a new bigger cover. They didn't put anything you can't buy from the factory internally in the turbos other than the wheel and cover. I'm willing o bet the are 300% mark up on the fp red and blacks. Awesome turbo but don't kid your self when you say they aren't making a little profit. And from what I have seen, what warranty just like all performance turbo parts they turn their head instantly lol.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

I think the biggest reason they went BB was for the reliability.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sobo
Why should I care what bills FP has to pay? I'm a consumer and to me a turbo is a turbo regardless of what frame it's stuffed into.
I never insinuated that FP was a "Turbo charity"

What I'm getting at is, why do I care what research and development cost? I'm simply buying a good
apparently you have no understanding of economics and the way the world works, turbo pricing aside.

bottom line, if no one put in the R+D on a product, 99.9% of the items in your house would not exist, including almost all of the food in your fridge.

difference being, all the things you see around you in your house have an extremely larger market to offset the cost of the R+D, a much larger market than the amount of evo owners buying stock frame turbos. thats why a PTE turbo cost less also, being universal they have a larger market than FP.

a company has to make there investment in R+D back, because if no one did, none of these products would exist...therefore based on your logic you should just stop buying any aftermarket parts for your car...as well as any other mass produced product.

/end rant after bad night at work

Originally Posted by binky
Haha, tell that to the pharmaceutical companies
dont go there lol i work in the drug world...drug companies are flat out crooks, but thats another thread!

Last edited by killerpenguin21; Sep 28, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

So your telling me that the addition of the ball bearing CHRA is not worth the extra 500?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
I think the biggest reason they went BB was for the reliability.
This probably being from the amount of comebacks.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

I never insinuated that FP was a "Turbo charity"

What I'm getting at is, why do I care what research and development cost? I'm simply buying a good, and I still think that $2500 is too much. So lets get that out of the way. I don't need to "Appreciate" their price. Why?

For $2500 I do not think the value is there on the FP red like it used to be. You can justify it however you want, but it's almost $1000 more expensive now.
Well first off it's $700 more, which is considerable although $700 is not quite 'almost $1000'. If they had hiked the price by $700 without adding any value to the product, you would have a valid point.

I never said you need to appreciate anything. I said it would be nice if their customer's appreciated that they are a business and that they don't just want to break even. You obviously aren't a customer of theirs.

I said before you should consider caring what it costs them, not because you should be concerned with their costs, but because you should care what it costs you which is based on what it costs them. Not to undermine you but lets say you make a product for $.50, it costs you .$40 to operate, and you sell your product for $1. Now lets say your products have been failing at a high enough rate to know you need to upgrade part of the system and it now costs you $.70 to make your product and $.50 to operate. You're certainly not going to sell your product at $1, nor will you sell it for $1.20, you're probably looking at $1.35..... Is that unfair to the consumer? What would you do (serious question)?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

"why do I care what research and development cost?"

You care because that cost is passed directly on to you as it is in all industries apart from perhaps a few. The new BB FP turbo line is a great product and the cost reflects the quality parts that go into it. I'm sure that in a few months there will be chinese knock-offs for less than $500 so you can always wait for those...seriously.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

The BB Black is definitely a wicked stock appearing turbo. It may indeed be worth $500 more than a JB Black. For me at least, since I already have a JB Red, a BB Red is not worth $2500 though. But, to each his own.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:01 PM

I agree with you...Too Much $$$$

No only that, but, I can't imagine if the turbo break, like in my case (GT35R) a little rock broke my compressor blade...Throwing the hold turbo off balance...eventually damaged the entire CHRD, thanks God Garrett has the exchange program...they gave me a brand new 35R for 425$ beat that FP!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

I thought they had the Upgrade option for the JB FP turbos for like $800 and you send in your stock turbo?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, first off, what you pay for is what you get. No argueing with that!

Secondly, how much u pay for your X? Is Mitsubishi crazy? You know you could have pieced together a different car for less money, that would've beat the crap out of your X in reverse, & been a much better "value".

Third. Like it was mentioned, some folks live in areas where u have to appear stock to be able to legally drive your car. Some of us would pay much more than $2,500 if that meant more power & have Jonny Law be none the wiser.

Also, FP is not the only company that builds stock frame BB turbo's. What can be said of the other guys & their prices? Lastly, keep in mind that the R&D that's in this turbo did not begin when Robert decided to offer these in BB. Everything FP has learned so far about these turbo's since day 1 all culminate in the latest offering. There are YEARS of research in this!

But alas, these turbo's aren't for everyone. Just like ARC isn't, or ADVAN's..

Quick Reply: Is FP Nuts? $2500 for a turbo?