Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is FP Nuts? $2500 for a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is FP Nuts? $2500 for a turbo?

What the hell is with the price hike? $2500 for an FP Red?

Yes, I do understand that they are ball bearing now.

But am I the only one who thinks this is crazy? I can piece together, build, or buy a REAL 35r or precision 6262 kit for that price!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you can buy 2 35r's for that price.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
i think it has to do with everyone wanting a bolt on turbo that makes power and doesnt attract law enforcement thats why i went with a bolt on turbo over a t3 kit
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find it hard to believe that you would actually be able to put a t3 kit together for less. Considdering a 6262 is 1500 by itself. Unless your talking about a JB Turbo, and eBay crap.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sobo

But am I the only one who thinks this is crazy? I can piece together, build, or buy a REAL 35r or precision 6262 kit for that price!
Good luck piecing together a 2500$ complete turbo kit.

Don't forget, you need the turbo, a new exhaust manifold, a wastegate, a new LICP and a new downpipe.

Every kit I see is 3300$ and higher...

Not to mention how much R&D went into the new ball bearing setup. FP's new BB setup is different from every other BB turbo out there. There's no reason to go with the Red when the Black spools just slightly less and make more power.

-Bink
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

sub
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BLK_EvIL
i think it has to do with everyone wanting a bolt on turbo that makes power and doesnt attract law enforcement thats why i went with a bolt on turbo over a t3 kit
call me dumb lol but I don't see why law enforcement would be involved over a turbo?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

If I was in the market, I'd buy a new Red for $2500.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo 9 guy
I find it hard to believe that you would actually be able to put a t3 kit together for less. Considdering a 6262 is 1500 by itself. Unless your talking about a JB Turbo, and eBay crap.
Originally Posted by binky
Good luck piecing together a 2500$ complete turbo kit.

Don't forget, you need the turbo, a new exhaust manifold, a wastegate, a new LICP and a new downpipe.

Every kit I see is 3300$ and higher...

Not to mention how much R&D went into the new ball bearing setup. FP's new BB setup is different from every other BB turbo out there. There's no reason to go with the Red when the Black spools just slightly less and make more power.

-Bink
I definitely could piece together a kit for less than 2500. Besides having a manifold fabbed up (Which I know about 3 people off hand that could build one) the downpipe and LICP are minor things.

But that's besides the point. I would rather pay the premium for a better turbo kit. The price difference is not that great anymore.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KWezzy
call me dumb lol but I don't see why law enforcement would be involved over a turbo?
In CA you have to have a stock appearing turbo.

In MA if you get called into MAC they might not pass you if you have an aftermarket non-stock appearing turbo.

-Bink
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

In CA you have to have a stock appearing turbo.

In MA if you get called into MAC they might not pass you if you have an aftermarket non-stock appearing turbo.

-Bink
ahhh ok thanks man and 2500 for a fp red is insane! only way id pay that is if I saw how much hp it made and it better be damn near close to what the old fp black made!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

I definitely could piece together a kit for less than 2500. Besides having a manifold fabbed up (Which I know about 3 people off hand that could build one) the downpipe and LICP are minor things.

But that's besides the point. I would rather pay the premium for a better turbo kit. The price difference is not that great anymore.

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/E...-9-Turbo-Kits/

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/M...omponents.html

Even a nice manifold is 1000$, a downpipe will be at least 250$ and the wastegate will be 325$ (if you go single scroll, twin scroll 650$), while the turbo will be around 1600.

Not sure how you could do it under $2499, maybe my math is off. Unless you use cheap or knock off parts I don't see how it's possible.

-Bink

Last edited by binky; Sep 30, 2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: SP
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KWezzy
ahhh ok thanks man and 2500 for a fp red is insane! only way id pay that is if I saw how much hp it made and it better be damn near close to what the old fp black made!
NP

It won't make what the old Black made. The Red doesn't flow 68 lbs/minute like the old/new Black does.

The upgrade to double ball-bearing doesn't increase the flow of the turbo, it increases spool up. The difference between the old and new turbos is transient boost response, it can be road-raced without fearing the journal bearing will be damaged (since it has a BB center cartridge now), and you can safely run more boost because of the increased thrust limit.

-Bink
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/E...-9-Turbo-Kits/

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/M...omponents.html

Even a nice manifold is 1000$, a downpipe will be at least 250$ and the wategate will be 325$ (if you go single scroll, twin scroll 650$), while the turbo will be around 1600.

Not sure how you could do it under $2499, maybe my math is off. Unless you use cheap or knock off parts.

-Bink
I'd have a local guy fab up a manifold for a fraction of that price and I'd do the DP myself. You don't always have to buy things from venders lol.

Even so, what I'm getting at is $2500 is ridiculous. I'd rather pay the premium and have a real turbo, with real reliability, that will definitely make more power. We all know how "durable" the old journal bearing FP turbos were...

Also, mind you while I posted this up in the 8/9 forums, I have a Evo X. I'm sure those turbos will be even more expensive than $2500. So this whole turbo kit option may be even more viable for me.

Last edited by sobo; Sep 28, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

I'd have a local guy fab up a manifold for a fraction of that price and I'd do the DP myself. You don't always have to buy things from venders lol.

Even so, what I'm getting at is $2500 is ridiculous. I'd rather pay the premium and have a real turbo, with real reliability, that will definitely make more power.
FP has to pay the bills somehow. Show me any other car out on the market now, that has as much R&D into a stock appearing turbo that can make upwards of 6-650 WHP. I don't know of any. Even Subaru doesn't get that kind of attention.

I never said anything about a 6262, you did...?

Bottom line is, it's a great turbo, yes it's expensive, yes it's more than other turbo's, but unless you are looking for more than 650 WHP, stock framed turbo's are still the way to go.

-Bink

Quick Reply: Is FP Nuts? $2500 for a turbo?