Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

engine cutting out stalling

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2011, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
engine cutting out stalling

well I thought i had her all fixed a week ago I had a starting issue the car would only start when it was cold , so i replaced the plugs , temp sensor , and cam position sensor then it ran great. Now I just warmed it up slow like normal got some fresh gas and was driving home normal and then it started to actually cut out while cruising it almost felt like my clutch was slipping it was like a gently bucking feeling so i was praying i would make it home and then going 10mph up our lane it just died on me and I could not get it to start . Don't see any check engine light I am just not sure. the car has 107k on it but the engine was built about 10k ago has speed density and 2.3 , the wideband was reading 14.7 feels like ignition or no fuel any suggestions from those symtops , oxy sensor ? fuel filter ? coil packs what would be your best guess from those symptoms
Old Oct 2, 2011, 03:27 PM

Ok so i think i found my problem I found a loose connector , I think it is the fuel pressure regulator solenoid but this connector was very loose and it wont clamp down or lock its self i tried pushing it on all the way not giving too much force but enough to be firm and it just seems like it doesn't even have a locking mechanism, so i took some zip ties and tied it on there and the car seems to run fine now however i haven't really tested it long enough but what is the deal behind these connectors are they supposed to actually lock or latch because i see the previous owner has zip tied many of the other connectors I took some pictures here is a couple pics if u could let me know what this goes to and if i can or should get a new connector appreciate all the help

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...t/IMG_2863.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...t/IMG_2866.jpg

Last edited by BoosTyEVO; Oct 2, 2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 05:29 PM

hmm just started the car up fine then once it got almost fully warm it just died , then it had a hard time starting after a few tries it started back up died again and then i got it too start and run and parked it and i let it run for a few mins hmmm I wonder if some how the cam position sensor is messed up already or wasnt installed correct not sure or if it was something and is something else all together
Old Oct 2, 2011, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure your map sensor is still plugged in all the way, also I would take it off and check to make sure its not cracked (seen it happen before). Are you running a gm AIT or is your speed density set up run off of your fuel temp sensor? If its Gm AIT I would check to make sure its still working properly.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 06:33 PM

ya the map sensor is all plugged in looked at it and didnt see any cracks , not sure if its Gm AIT or not , its weird cause the car just started up fine again so now making it hard to figure out what is going on
Old Oct 2, 2011, 07:06 PM

I think the SD is ran off the fuel temp almost positive , seems like the car is only having these issues once it is fully warm if that helps
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:28 PM

Fixed once again we found out it was a faulty cam position sensor sometimes even new parts will fail so we got a new one from a different brand and car seems to run great : )