Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

To buy an Evo or not???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2004, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are willing to step up for another 10k or so, check out the Volvo S60R (w/ body kits). I was surprised myself.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by 97itr153
If you want a new $30k car that combines QUALITY with GREAT handling, good performance and good practicality, check out the VW R32. It has...

240 bhp / 236 lb-ft
3300 lbs
AWD
3.2 V6 - Normally aspirated
Taut, Track-ready suspension
Huge, Track-ready brakes in 18in wheels
Quality Interior and Exterior with grippy leather seats
Practicality of a hatchback
And don't forget what else it has: the typical VAG driving experience. That means over-servoed brakes that are impossible to modulate, absolutely zero steering feel, and lots and lots of understeer!

Emre
Old Jan 6, 2004, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm. Why get the EVO.

Its been a phenomenon for years in Europe, Japan and all over the years.
Automobile and SCC magazines car of the year here in the States.
Easily modable engine.
Amazing handling and braking.
4 door sedan.

~$29,000. If there is any other car that surpasses any of these cars' characteristics for its value, get it.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by fly2low
Check out the Volvo S60R.
Hard to recommend the S60R/V70R to anyone who's a driving enthusiast. A few of us from the BMW club were invited to test the S60R sedan and V70R wagon (both auto and manual) at my favorite track, Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant in Ste. Jovite Quebec. The suspensions on those cars were horrendous. They were over damped and undersprung. It was like driving a pogo stick. Very poor body control over bumps, camber changes, and quick transitions. Also, all three of us were able to get the power steering to fail in the slalom. Turns out the power steering pump couldn't keep up with sharp inputs. I actually went off the track and into the grass when the steering failed (long story).

Overall, the car was very unpredictable when driving hard. Too much electronic crap in the suspension, brakes, steering, and traction control that constantly second guess what you're doing and react in bizarre ways. You just don't have the confidence to push the car hard in corners when it doesn't listen to you. BTW, the manuals were almost impossible to heel and toe.

The only bright spots were excellent brakes (very easy to modulate) and a cool AYC-like feature that would allow the rear to rotate under power. Still, I'd rather rotate the car with my right foot!

Emre
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:05 PM

I believe brianv wants some "balance"? . If he were a doggone hardcore he would buy the Evo in a heartbeat and wouldn't have this dilemma right now

S60R is a good car for its value (in the price range of a topped up 330i).

Last edited by fly2low; Jan 6, 2004 at 10:07 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

The Evo is a 4-door turbocharged go-kart for big "kids"...if you love to really DRIVE a car, then get the Evo...if you want luxury and decent performance, perhaps the Acura TL would be more to your liking.

I say GET THE EVO!!!
Old Jan 11, 2004, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Brianv, This decision is based on what you want right now out of a car and I'll tell you why. A friend of mine had an evo and traded it in yesterday for a m3. Why did he do it? Because of the interior. Even though he was fully aware that an evo could whip an m3 around any track, the lack of the luxuries played a major role in his decision. I had a chance to ride in both of them and I could see where he was coming from from a luxury standpoint. The inside of the m3 is awesome. I was never a BMW fan until yesterday. The ride is stiff as all sports cars but not as bone-jarring as the evo. But then again given the huge price difference between the m3 and the evo the evo feared better in my oppinion(performance-wise). The evo turns sharper and has a more fun factor about it. The fact that I am comparing the evo to the m3 speaks alot about the evo. My friend also said that he was tired of modding cars as he has been through alot of them(integras s2000 etc) so he just wanted something that looks and peforms good with luxury. The evo is a great car but not for everyone. IMO the interior of the evo wasn't that appalling as some make it out to be. This car was never about buttery soft nappa leather and will never be( it is a rally car for crying out loud) To Americans this car might be a step down because we are used to creature comforts but abroad they couldn't care less. But what you should do is test drive the car( especially on a highway since interior noise is an issue) take a good look at the inside and see if you can live with it. And also be ready to mod the hell out of it because there are so many mods available

BTW Don't use it as a daily driver, so you would save the clutch.