Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

$2000 Service...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the serp belt? Haha... Sorry.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo8*
I was thinking about doing a compression test actually, but I might get Mitsu to do that, along with a boost leak test.

I don't think I am leaking anyway... at least I hope not ...but seriously... I don't think I am. Best to check though!
Youll be suprised on how many stock evos have a slight to moderate boost leak. all from a loose or misapplied clamp or a vacuum line disconnected. When I get tunned thats the first thing the recommend to check.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8*
What is the serp belt? Haha... Sorry.
You said you had a noise also.

It is your accessory belt auto tensioner. Last car I did a service on , it was stcking also and making a lot of noise.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

if i was getting all the fluids changed and paying that much, i'd make sure it was OEM fluids. you might be able to get that pricer lower shopping around for parts prices.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
You said you had a noise also.

It is your accessory belt auto tensioner. Last car I did a service on , it was stcking also and making a lot of noise.
Ive actually taken a video this morning, which I am currently uploading onto the tube. I will post a link as soon as its done!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:32 PM

Here is a link to the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtKlOjOJZmM
Old Oct 4, 2011, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Serpentine belt = accessory belt.

I can't listen as I'm at work and my boss is borrowing my headphones to skype.

It is VERY rare to find a car that has no boost leaks. I'm not talking about minor ones either... its rare to find a car that doesn't have a major leak!

I'd have them do compression and a boost leak test as well.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:17 PM

Well Evo's do run high boost as standard so it doesn't surprise me! So... Would you recommend brand new hose clamps for the intercooler piping too?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 02:38 PM

I was speaking to my mate last night who is a mechanic. He can get me all the stuff I need at a reduced rate. What fluids/oils should I be asking for? I was looking through the books last night but didnt find anything, apart from a receipt for 5L of castrol edge 0w 40 :/
Old Oct 5, 2011, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine oil and trans oil is subjective. Ask 10 people on here what to use and you'll likely get 10 answers. But as far as the transfer case and rear differential, go with OEM fluid called Mitsubishi Diaqueen LSD Oil. Engine oil, just get a whatever quality synthetic is available in your area for a reasonable price. You can't go wrong with an oem oil filter as well. Transmission fluid...again order oem Mitsu fluid (I believe it's an 80 weight GL-4?). If you're doing the timing belt service, definitely spend the money and do it right the first time and replace the water pump, balance shaft belt, serpentine belt, timing belt idler pulley, tension pulley, auto-tensioner and balance shaft tensioner. You pay a bit more in parts but the extra labor won't be significant. ALLL that stuff will be exposed and much easier to change while doing the timing belt. Hope this helps you out somewhat.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which workshop quoted u 2k...... far out... i think mine was about the 1k mark... including everything u mention and more.

try indy at IS Motor Racing (google them) they in Rockdale, have good rep, indy checked my car 4years ago.. and knows his evos from what i hear.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a look in the fluids sticky at the top of this forum or the newb forum. As for clamps, most people switch over to "T-Bolt clamps". There is a thread about which and how many you actually need as well.

Siliconeintakes.com sells a kit for the Evo, though a few of the clamps aren't right (at least for me). I picked that up and some silicone couplers to replace the stock fibery ones (the ones that connect the hardpipes to the intercooler).
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jvlazzar
that sheet claims timing belt at 105k...
105k is right, RTFM. It actually has 60k or 105k (I think it was some weird f'd up California thing iirc)
Old Oct 6, 2011, 03:10 PM

OK... So I called Mitsu yesterday and got a quote for parts.

Just for 2 belts, a few gaskets & water pump kit... $2000. WTF. Are they being serious!

Absolute p*ss take. I will be buying the water pump and belts from mitsu, totalling $600+, and pretty much forget the rest.

So the squeal in the video above, is the the auto-tensioner on the accessory belt. Would it be ok if I could get that aftermarket? Mitsu want $333.20 for just that.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 03:16 PM

Here is the quote they sent through. Is this unreasonable or not?
Attached Thumbnails 00 Service...-quotep1.jpg   00 Service...-quotep2.jpg