Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

$2000 Service...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
u should take it to some shops around your area. it'll be a lot cheaper. i just had an evo/sti shop quote me, replacing belts, bump and all fluids is roughly 800ish. sounds pretty good for me.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 03:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
If I knew how to do a 60k service you could fly me out and i'd bring the parts and do the service for $2k
Old Oct 6, 2011, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK. + $80 per spark plug. I can't do it. WTF. Are good aftermarket parts OK to use? Aslong as they are a know brand. ie. Bendix for brake pads, people use them...
Old Oct 6, 2011, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Are there any parts dealers where you're at? Its hard for us to compare since its in Australia and your vehicle is ADM.

Check sparkplugs.com and you can find uprated aftermarket pads typically for less than the brembos. There won't be a performance sacrifice either m8. I think maybe you should shop around a touch for this before jumping in.

But I'd definitely suggest OEM fluids and OEM flavored plugs.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Are there any parts dealers where you're at? Its hard for us to compare since its in Australia and your vehicle is ADM.

Check sparkplugs.com and you can find uprated aftermarket pads typically for less than the brembos. There won't be a performance sacrifice either m8. I think maybe you should shop around a touch for this before jumping in.

But I'd definitely suggest OEM fluids and OEM flavored plugs.
Why though? In what way are they better. What we you have to remember is, the are a couple of mobs that supply heaps of parts, even to dealers. Mitsu put this stamp on it --> and add a couple of hundered bucks onto the price...
Old Oct 6, 2011, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8*
Why though? In what way are they better. What we you have to remember is, the are a couple of mobs that supply heaps of parts, even to dealers. Mitsu put this stamp on it --> and add a couple of hundered bucks onto the price...
There isn't any proof I can give you that says that the OEM fluids are better and plenty of people are using different fluids (brand) for different parts. There are LENGTHY discussion threads on here about Mobil 1 Oil for the engine ALONE to gag a crocodile.

However... you should be very careful if you plan to switch fluids... to be CERTAIN that it is an exact equivalent. Because those same mobs that are manufacturing parts for Mitsu are manufacturing parts to a general audience. That general audience are making them as a generic that is good for a bunch of cars and as such... some things end up missing.

Some fluids can safely be switched around... but the transmission and transfer case fluids are one place where OEM fluids seem to be performing the best.

Evo transmissions are finicky...
Old Oct 6, 2011, 06:21 PM

I have shopped around. Honestly. Ive looked at MRT Performance, Peak Performance, Auto One, Autobarn, mitsubishi dealer... Where else can I look. This guy uses "jap aftermarket parts" that he claims are of equal or better quality. NGK for plugs, nulon for fluids. Not sure about pulleys, gaskets and tensioners.

He uses a australian company for belt, which apparenty make the best belts in the world... find that kinda hard to believe, but it does help to keep prices down... Honestly, if someone can come up with a reason as to why I need to pay over double the price for the same part, then I will pay it. But for now, I just cannot justify it...

A gasket is a gasket. A pulley is a pulley.

Fluids are also very subjective. What seperates OEM fluids from valvoline, nulon, royal purple?

I am using Royal Purple 10w 40 for engine oil this time round... Ive heard alot of good things about it!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
There isn't any proof I can give you that says that the OEM fluids are better and plenty of people are using different fluids (brand) for different parts. There are LENGTHY discussion threads on here about Mobil 1 Oil for the engine ALONE to gag a crocodile.

However... you should be very careful if you plan to switch fluids... to be CERTAIN that it is an exact equivalent. Because those same mobs that are manufacturing parts for Mitsu are manufacturing parts to a general audience. That general audience are making them as a generic that is good for a bunch of cars and as such... some things end up missing.

Some fluids can safely be switched around... but the transmission and transfer case fluids are one place where OEM fluids seem to be performing the best.

Evo transmissions are finicky...
So all transmision fluids should be OEM. I can handle that. but not 300 for a belt. no way.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
so are you complaining about the price of the parts? or what?
go to ur local performance shop and get parts there. or order a complete 60k kit online.
you sittin there complaining about a $300 belt isnt going to make the price go down.
think of it this way, pay now or pay 3-4 times as much later rebuilding it.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Mate if you're in Sydney and need a timing change ring Japlink at haberfield tell Todd and Adam simo sent you be about 1k for the change maybe a bit more if you want a gates belt- no bs service and their mechanic is ex panspeed japan- Indy will rape ya **** lol - Japlink handle all my work
Old Oct 7, 2011, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8*
So all transmision fluids should be OEM. I can handle that. but not 300 for a belt. no way.
Yeah... belts and pulleys aren't too critical. It was more the fluids that are the main thing to have OEM in the transmission.