Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Who sells the best mini battery kit?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who sells the best mini battery kit?

So i've had my car for about three years, it came with a mini battery and it lasted about 18 months before dying on me. I replaced it with a Braille mini battery last winter, and I'm now at the point of needing to jump the car EVERY time I start it. Don't think it's the alternator because my electronics (headlamps) don't dim or anything while driving, it's simply the inability to start the car.

So I'm looking to order a new battery/kit and wondering who I'll be happiest with for value/price. My bracket had to be modified for the Braille battery, so I'm looking to just buy the whole kit again I'm sure since my Braille is a 1/2" wider than most other evo mini batteries.

Hit me with help ya'll!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:48 AM

I would just run a regular battery and relocate it to the trunk ive had mine for about 3 years no problems and it gives you more room in the engine bay !
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I think they are all about the same. I also think that there is a problem with the EVO's in particular and I am about to verify it......

I have one of the batteries we sell in my 5.0 Mustang, 2011. It has sat for months at a time, 11:1 V8 engine and fires up directly when I finally go out to get in it. I have a '32 Ford I built with a 4g63 in it, Daniel, my brother, built the wiring harness for it, it also sits for weeks at a time and fires right up. My EVO on the other hand seems to drain the battery after no more than a week, even a brand new one. I notice this quite a bit on EVO's. My belief is there is a drain in the EVO's that cause all the problems.

I am going to replace my wiring harness in my car with a stripped down version, I bet money after doing so the car never has another problem.

In other words, I don't think any of the batteries are better than the rest.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

my odyssey mini battery with ETS kit has been rock solid through 3 north-east winters. i went through 2 Super Value batteries in 8 months before making the switch.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive also been using the Odyssey Mini Battery with the Nisei Engineering Mini Battery Holder. I havent changed it yet, but I havent had any problems either.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
I think they are all about the same. I also think that there is a problem with the EVO's in particular and I am about to verify it......

I have one of the batteries we sell in my 5.0 Mustang, 2011. It has sat for months at a time, 11:1 V8 engine and fires up directly when I finally go out to get in it. I have a '32 Ford I built with a 4g63 in it, Daniel, my brother, built the wiring harness for it, it also sits for weeks at a time and fires right up. My EVO on the other hand seems to drain the battery after no more than a week, even a brand new one. I notice this quite a bit on EVO's. My belief is there is a drain in the EVO's that cause all the problems.

I am going to replace my wiring harness in my car with a stripped down version, I bet money after doing so the car never has another problem.

In other words, I don't think any of the batteries are better than the rest.
YEP. I went as far as ripping out all of my aftermarket electronics, I was very surprised at the draw with the car off. I did automotive electronics for about 8 years and I don't recall seeing a car with this much drain.. I did some basic troubleshooting and didn't come up the culprit but this winter I'm going to decide if I want to get a mini up front, or keep my full size heavy battery in the trunk (I can't run at NHRA rule stickler tracks since I didn't want to put a power shut off switch on the outside of my daily driver ) So I will be re-visiting the wiring and I'll track it down to where the main draw is.. I don't remember the amperage reading but I did take one. I'll add a post when I get to it.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

this is good to know. My car over the past two years did since for months at a time, one stint was for six months last year. My dad kept a battery tender on it he claims, and I doubt he's lying, but I'm wondering if maybe he didn't do that until the car wouldn't start on it's own anymore.

In any case, I need a replacement, and it sounds like I've gotten a few good suggestions, but would love to know how to reduce the drain from the electronics during the car's "offseason".
Old Oct 4, 2011, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

I'm going to agree with David on this one.. any small battery will be about the same.. So knowing this I say base your purchasing decision the same way I did.. Buy one with a warranty.. I bought an Odyssey one, and it comes with a 2 Year warranty.. Atleast I won't have to worry about it for 2 more years.. and trust me I know it will die in 1 1/2 so atleast it will last me 3 years total between this one and the new one I'll get when it dies and will last another 1 1/2 years.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 07:17 PM

I had an AMS and it was pretty good
Old Oct 7, 2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by CN9Adaiski
Ive also been using the Odyssey Mini Battery with the Nisei Engineering Mini Battery Holder. I havent changed it yet, but I havent had any problems either.

+1. I have the same setup
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

I ordered the ETS setup, so we'll see how it goes. Does this come with the Odyssey everyone speaks of?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by boostincincy
I ordered the ETS setup, so we'll see how it goes. Does this come with the Odyssey everyone speaks of?
From looking on their website it doesn't look like it comes with an Odyssey battery:

Compared to an Odyssey battery:

I'm sure the battery ETS provides is just as good as the Odyssey.. I'm thinking a good chunk of the price you pay for an Odyssey is for the name.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:07 PM

How has this worked out for you so far?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

My ETS small battery kit has been great so far. No issues to report.

-Bink
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:35 PM

they are all about the same...

Quick Reply: Who sells the best mini battery kit?