Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Heel and toe maneuvering in Evo IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wear a size 12 and out of all the cars I've ever driven the evo has been the easiest to heel-toe in... When I had my 350z I never heel-toe'd because it just seemed too difficult. With the evo I do exactly what PKevo does it... it just feels natural. Use the big toe to brake and the "proximal end of the 5th metatarsal" aka the side of my foot to blip the throttle.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I have no issues with "heel toeing" the car....although its more of a side step, the term "heel toe" is miss leading as allot of ppl don't actually use that method.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

I actually find it very comfortable to heel toe, all the pedals r in the perfect place for me. I use the turn my foot method. For reference im 5' 9" ~ 130lbs Shoe size 9.5

Example about 1 min in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4auYr_p-jk

Last edited by MechTech; Oct 10, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:35 PM

I have a size 12 shoe and wear DCs... Yeah, possibly the widest shoe ever made, but thats what I like to wear, so I encountered this problem along time ago. I actually do it this way, might be worth a try, but with the pedal spacing, you might not be able to reach it. It doesn't look as cool, but is so much easier (for me).

No, the video is not me driving...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihc9r...eature=related
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I agree that barefoot is the best way to get the feel for it initially. Well, actually I prefer shoeless but with socks on my feet.

I found that I sort of hang the lower inside edge of the ball of the right foot lightly on the very edge of the brake pedal and reach the bottom of the gas pedal with the innermost surface of my right heel. I wear a size 11.5 D.

I try to do as much left foot braking as possible though so that my right foot can just ride at a downward angle on the very edge of the brake pedal lightly. I hardly ever plant the sole of my right foot flat onto the brake pedal though. Instead, it has to sit lightly at a downward angle on the very sheer inner edge of the pedal. So, that to accelerate the right foot just falls down off the edge of the brake pedal and you accelerate with the outside edge of your right foot not the flat of the sole of the right foot(more or less what taylorgang is talking about).

Last edited by sparky; Oct 10, 2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm 6'4" 195, size 13/14 shoe, and the EVO has been the easiest car for me to heel-toe in. not sure why you'd have any issues. I turn my foot a bit when I do it, but I'm basically using the side of my foot and not the actual heel.

Last edited by ODUB; Oct 11, 2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rmeister007
Do you have the video link? I'd like to see how his foot rotated inward. To me, it all seems so bizarre and counterintuitive. After hours of driving, I know I'll definitely have strain/pain if I adopt that method. I think the big toe/little toe method might be the best sounding option for me. Thanks tho!
Not that one but it's shown in the bid mechtech posted.

I've found the other way people are describing sometimes resulted in my foot slipping off the brake which is the last thing you want when braking hard
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by cs82685
Not that one but it's shown in the bid mechtech posted.

I've found the other way people are describing sometimes resulted in my foot slipping off the brake which is the last thing you want when braking hard
Truth.. had this happen to me a few times as well.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:31 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^ That's how I drive: ~5'11' 180lbs, 10.5 shoe. Feels natural.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ Same thing here, haven't had an issue.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wear Piloti Prototipo shoes and find heel-toeing extremely easy in the Evo once I got used to the difference from my RX-8. I actually heel-toe two different ways depending on the type of braking I'm doing in the Evo. Remember, you will almost always be able to HT easier the harder you brake. This is hard to learn on the street safely because you are rarely braking hard enough to easily do it until you are practiced.

Because of the pedal placement when I brake really hard (like turn 1 and turn 5 at Summit Point) I roll my foot to the side, blipping the throttle with the top/side of my right foot. This puts the edge of my foot almost between the pedals. My feet are too long to hit the throttle with my heel. If I'm braking lightly I use the pad of my foot under my pinkie toe and kick my heel out to press that part of the shoe on the throttle.

Properly rev matching the car requires a pretty decent blip of the throttle compared to my (now NA) RX-8, you want to make the rpms jump enough to evenly match the engine speed. A lot of people talk about heel-toe downshifting like its this black art and really impressive... it's not. It's actually very easy to learn with some practice.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big toe area for braking and slightly move foot to right and blip the gas with little toe mound/proximal area.. I cant do the whole Toe and heal and foot sideways crap. size 11 btw
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:47 PM

Try doing it with a size 13.5 shoe...
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nova21
Try doing it with a size 13.5 shoe...
Those are some big shoes.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Those are some big shoes.
Well you know what they say about those big shoes........... I got some big socks too.

Quick Reply: Heel and toe maneuvering in Evo IX