Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Heel and toe maneuvering in Evo IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heel and toe maneuvering in Evo IX

I wanted to address one of the biggest problems for me ever since buying the Evo: the freaking pedals!!! For one, I'm used to the gas/brake pedals being closer to each other, and having the distance of the gas/brake pedals be closer in height. I've been trained to heel and toe by pivoting/rolling my foot, but now have faced the reality of having to learn something new/awkward. So I visited the "Best Motoring" videos on YouTube to see how those guys do it, and they pivot their whole entire foot! Well that's easier if you're a smaller person, but I'm 6'2" 195 pounds, with a shoe size 10.5, and find that pivoting my whole foot is kind of an issue (at least for now).

So I went out, and bought srpracing pedals, installed them (which def was an improvement because it closed some of the gap) and discovered it still wasn't easy because of the height issue. So I went to the hardware store and bought some washers (to act as spacers) and longer screws to install on the gas pedal to raise it up higher. Now, it's feeling slightly better, but heel and toe is not as intuitive as on the other cars I've owned. Now I'm resting my heel all the way as right as possible and roll to brake. When I roll, part of my foot crosses over the gas pedal, and when downshifting, I throttle the gas with the "proximal end of 5th metatarsal or foot bone" (see pic in link)

http://www.yogaartandscience.com/pbl...0a027d8-78.php

instead of the heel or outer heel. This feels inconsistent, and somewhat dangerous. I'm just trying to find some kind of better solution and am wondering what all of you guys do. I really wish Mitsubishi had the pedals coming from the bottom-up rather than the top-down. Sigh....

I appreciate anyone's thoughts and I thank you in advance!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
That's weird... I've found it easy to do on these Evos. If you think it's difficult, try heel-toeing in the current STI.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Heel-Toe on Evo 8/9's is best from my experience but i'm 4" shorter than you same shoe size though
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wear a size 11 shoe and find it strange to pivot my whole-foot as you described in the best-motoring videos. Also it feels very uncomfortable for me to point my toes in that way. So i rest my heel in between the gas and brake. When going to brake i rest the big-toe-mound and second toe mound (see below) on the brake pedal. When i need to rev-match, I rock my foot to the right and throttle with the proximal end of the 5th metatarsal (see below).

It sounds similar to what you're doing, but i do not rest my heel all the way right. Sorry for the weird description it is difficult trying to show this in words lol. Maybe I can get a video once I get home tonight
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PKEVO8
I wear a size 11 shoe and find it strange to pivot my whole-foot as you described in the best-motoring videos. Also it feels very uncomfortable for me to point my toes in that way. So i rest my heel in between the gas and brake. When going to brake i rest the big-toe-mound and second toe mound (see below) on the brake pedal. When i need to rev-match, I rock my foot to the right and throttle with the proximal end of the 5th metatarsal (see below).

It sounds similar to what you're doing, but i do not rest my heel all the way right. Sorry for the weird description it is difficult trying to show this in words lol. Maybe I can get a video once I get home tonight
Ah, I see! That makes perfect sense! So you're doing big toe braking, little toe gassing. LOL (gassing)! That's brilliant!!! That actually makes a lot of sense. Why didn't I think of that? Probably because the gas pedal is so freaking low, that's why! I think I'll buy a few more washers to bring the gas pedal up higher so that I'll be able to do this with ease. How long did it take you to perfect this technique? A couple weeks??

Thanks a lot PKEVO8!!!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

No problem man, I learned this when I got the car 6 years ago lol so I can't remember how long it took to learn, but if you're already practicing heel-toe you should get it in a matter of hours.

Also, I do this on the stock layout of the pedals (no washers) with comfort and ease.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PKEVO8
No problem man, I learned this when I got the car 6 years ago lol so I can't remember how long it took to learn, but if you're already practicing heel-toe you should get it in a matter of hours.

Also, I do this on the stock layout of the pedals (no washers) with comfort and ease.
Right on! I think elevating the gas pedal a bit more would just make things easier because my foot wouldn't have to rotate out as much to rev match (Maybe you have a wider foot than me...lol! I don't know where/how your brakes are but I fully depress my brakes like an inch-1.5" downwards which makes the gas pedal seem incredibly far away). I'm going to tinker around with this concept and fully explore it, as I feel this is a very important thing to know how to do with any vehicle. I've always rev matched with my heel, so this is a very novel concept for me (big toe brake, little toe gas). I'll give it a go. Thanks again!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Because of the width between the pedals I had actually found it a bit hard then I saw a video of a Japanese driver driving a ix in the rain and explaining the acd setup. It showed his feet while shifting and he actually rotated his whole foot inward so his toes were braking and then he'd blip the throttle with his heel. With a 10.5 foot I've found this works pretty well, was a bit weird at first and I sometimes find myself going back to the other way but it didn't take too much to get used to
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Do you have the video link? I'd like to see how his foot rotated inward. To me, it all seems so bizarre and counterintuitive. After hours of driving, I know I'll definitely have strain/pain if I adopt that method. I think the big toe/little toe method might be the best sounding option for me. Thanks tho!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

bend the gas pedal closer to the brake......done

seriously the pedal can be bent, it's an easy fix I've done it on more than one evo.

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Oct 11, 2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

I actually already wrote a How-To on using washers on the gas pedal, but since then I removed them and learned how to do it with the regular pedal positions. My feet are 11 inches long so I'm sure it helps. I prefer to drive barefooted, but I can heel-toe just as easily with shoes on.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cs82685
Because of the width between the pedals I had actually found it a bit hard then I saw a video of a Japanese driver driving a ix in the rain and explaining the acd setup. It showed his feet while shifting and he actually rotated his whole foot inward so his toes were braking and then he'd blip the throttle with his heel. With a 10.5 foot I've found this works pretty well, was a bit weird at first and I sometimes find myself going back to the other way but it didn't take too much to get used to
This is how I've been doing it for 10 years. I didn't even bother to learn or realize there were different ways. I think I'll experiment with OP's method, just for fun and the big toe brake and little toe gassing sounds worth a shot.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

I guess my foot is enormous, I can rest half the ball of my foot on the break and still be able to blip the throttle.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

I've driven the car barefoot, and it certainly is easier to heel toe than with shoes on. Maybe cuz I like to wear flashy Jordans. LOL! Bottom line is it shouldn't matter what shoes I wear, I should be able to do this successfully effortlessly 100% of the time. Thanks everyone for your input!!!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
i use inner big toe mound and outer heel lol..

Quick Reply: Heel and toe maneuvering in Evo IX