Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should I reuse my block or get a new core? Help..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mll
Ok now I know what bearings not to use when I build mine thanks

ACL Bearings are actually pretty good. Something must of not been right with this build.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There are lots of guys running meth on here for over 60000 miles with no problems. If you are going to use it make sure you have a good failsafe or three. Running cheap kits or on the ragged edge will get you less than stellar results with most parts and setups, not simply meth injection. Also to be spinning bearing he would have to either be dumping too much fuel or running crazy timing, for it to invlove the meth and both tune related. I am not pointing the finger at the tune. I am just saying it is not simply because of methanol.

Did you replace the oil cooler when rebuilding the engine? There seems to be more going on here. Did the oil seem washed out? How did the crank look? Is the same person doing the machine work each time?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:26 AM
Evolving Member

Did you buy a new oil cooler after your 1st berring spun?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by mt057
There are lots of guys running meth on here for over 60000 miles with no problems. If you are going to use it make sure you have a good failsafe or three. Running cheap kits or on the ragged edge will get you less than stellar results with most parts and setups, not simply meth injection. Also to be spinning bearing he would have to either be dumping too much fuel or running crazy timing, for it to invlove the meth and both tune related. I am not pointing the finger at the tune. I am just saying it is not simply because of methanol.

Did you replace the oil cooler when rebuilding the engine? There seems to be more going on here. Did the oil seem washed out? How did the crank look? Is the same person doing the machine work each time?
The reason my bearings failed seems to be oil related, since we checked the dipstick and smelled a lot like gas, so i guess the oil was done. I had my car tuned at turbotrix and they did an amazing job on the tune, excellent driveability, power, and gas mileage, but i was adviced to get a crank trigger after the failure happened. my car never had one so with my aem ems, the engine took a bit longer to start while cranking which was most likely what caused fuel to mix with the oil. i did replace the oil cooler when the motor was rebuilt.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:47 AM

You said it was a rod bearing that failed? I wouldn't immediately blame the block for a rod bearing failure. Now if it was chewing up main bearings I'd consider a problem with the block and have it align honed. Was the crank replaced or was it able to get by with just a micro polish after the first failure? Were all the oil passages in the crank and block cleaned out? Were you experiencing any detonation when it died? The block should be fine imo.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by red97rum
You said it was a rod bearing that failed? I wouldn't immediately blame the block for a rod bearing failure. Now if it was chewing up main bearings I'd consider a problem with the block and have it align honed. Was the crank replaced or was it able to get by with just a micro polish after the first failure? Were all the oil passages in the crank and block cleaned out? Were you experiencing any detonation when it died? The block should be fine imo.
My first 2 cranks were both oem 4g64, and were replaced each time, this time im contemplating getting a manley billet or cosworth crank..
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like something in the install on both were not done properly? Did a shop build the block or did you build them?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 17pstockcar
Did you buy a new oil cooler after your 1st berring spun?
Million$ question that was not answered. :\
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by metalsaber
Sounds like something in the install on both were not done properly? Did a shop build the block or did you build them?
My first motor was a turbotrix shortblock with a cosworth head, when that went down I took my car to top level in LI where they did the rebuild.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Million$ question that was not answered. :\
As I said earlier, the oil cooler was replaced after the rebuild. I will replace it again with this overhaul.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:28 PM

ill be taking out my longblock this weekend, and opening up to see where the damage was this time. if it was a rod bearing and not a main bearing that went bad, im sending the block to my machine to get checked and serviced. if it was a main bearing ill be looking to buy a built 2.4lr or 2.3rpm setup..
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

get a new core

do not run meth, run pump or get e85 in a drum and bring it back

Run the proper weight oil. wrong oil will damage the engine along with improper tune. Why would you repeat the same thing again and again if you are getting the same result?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Forgot you were running Meth. Is it possible your meth unit is not working properly which is causing the engine failures?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Broham
get a new core

do not run meth, run pump or get e85 in a drum and bring it back

Run the proper weight oil. wrong oil will damage the engine along with improper tune. Why would you repeat the same thing again and again if you are getting the same result?
I was reading recently about how mobil 1 is not recommended for high hp motors, and thats what I used always. Maybe that had something to do with my damage... Next time im going with high performance oil for sure..
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my car was using Valvoline when it was down in sa now on amsoil i would recommend either for you boss.

Quick Reply: Should I reuse my block or get a new core? Help..