Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should I reuse my block or get a new core? Help..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockmanX
my car was using Valvoline when it was down in sa now on amsoil i would recommend either for you boss.
Heard a lot of good things about AMS oil, and royal purple. Im gonna be shopping for a new block, most likely a 2.4 and im gonna keep my block as a spare...
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by metalsaber
Forgot you were running Meth. Is it possible your meth unit is not working properly which is causing the engine failures?
Im running a smc meth kit and its been running great so far..
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:33 AM

Thanks for all the input guys, its aprreciated.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOpsi718
Heard a lot of good things about AMS oil, and royal purple. Im gonna be shopping for a new block, most likely a 2.4 and im gonna keep my block as a spare...
You need high zinc content with detergents for street use, and the only oil I know that provides that is amsoil zrod along with some other oils like bradd penn, but that needs to be changed often.

Knock, heavy detonation, all with meth equals failed motor. Make sure to tune with 0 knock and dial in your fuel trims. E85 is great for not producing knock and you don't have to worry about uneven distribution in cylinders. Oil is unbelievably important on a built motor. Look into a kiggly hla as well since that keeps the flow of oil in the head steady and more in the pan. A baffled oil pan will also help on high speed handling with oil sloshing around to name a few. Do it right this time and make note of changes
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Broham
You need high zinc content with detergents for street use, and the only oil I know that provides that is amsoil zrod along with some other oils like bradd penn, but that needs to be changed often.

Knock, heavy detonation, all with meth equals failed motor. Make sure to tune with 0 knock and dial in your fuel trims. E85 is great for not producing knock and you don't have to worry about uneven distribution in cylinders. Oil is unbelievably important on a built motor. Look into a kiggly hla as well since that keeps the flow of oil in the head steady and more in the pan. A baffled oil pan will also help on high speed handling with oil sloshing around to name a few. Do it right this time and make note of changes
Thanks for the advice, this being my first evo, I was kinda a noob, but ive been doing a lot of research on parts and builds to help me on my next one. The kiggly hla is on my list of parts to buy next, and im most likely gonna be foing with ams oil. Bradd penn I heard is good for their break in oil..
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOpsi718
I was reading recently about how mobil 1 is not recommended for high hp motors, and thats what I used always. Maybe that had something to do with my damage... Next time im going with high performance oil for sure..
I would recommend 10W40 Mobile 1 High Milage.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
I would recommend 10W40 Mobile 1 High Milage.
the high mileage is better than normal, but when you are planning very high hp you need that zinc. Zinc and phosp does wonders for cylinders. couple that with corn fuel and you got a super healthy motor.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Broham
the high mileage is better than normal, but when you are planning very high hp you need that zinc. Zinc and phosp does wonders for cylinders. couple that with corn fuel and you got a super healthy motor.
Yea I need the most reliability possible.. Its my daily..