Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should I reuse my block or get a new core? Help..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I reuse my block or get a new core? Help..

Whats up guys, im looking for some advice. I drive a 06 mr. It's a 2.3 built longblock with a HTA3582 turbo. The car was putting down 490whp on 93/meth until I recently had my second bearing failure on this motor. The first one was a rod bearing on the #3 cylinde. I then got my block repaired and rebuilt, but only lasted for about 4 months before my next failure. Im in the pricess of taking apart my motor now so I still dont know which went bad. Now my question is should I reuse my block or get a new core like a 4g64 for example. My machinist said a line hone and a bore job would help if I was gonna reuse my core, but a good friend of mine who is a reputable evo expert tells me the block must have a problem and should just get a new core. What do you guys think I should do?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

new block dont want to do the process all over again in a couple of mounts not to mension the money u will be wasting
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by flabber
new block dont want to do the process all over again in a couple of mounts not to mension the money u will be wasting
Thats what im tryin to avoid man, its a damn money pit. I do most of my work myself but when it comes to shortblocks especially with this evo, I go to reputable shops. I just want to know if even with all the machine work, is my block not worth saving?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Why is your friend saying you need a new block? Spinning a bearing shouldn't take out the block unless you beat the ***** out of the car for months with the bad bearing
Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
why dont you ditch the meth in favor of e85 and then get anew core and start over again for the last time. LOL if you blow it again you need to just sell the car
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by EvoDom
Why is your friend saying you need a new block? Spinning a bearing shouldn't take out the block unless you beat the ***** out of the car for months with the bad bearing
He recommended getting a new block, in his opinion he thinks my core has a defect, and shouldnt risk it.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by RockmanX
why dont you ditch the meth in favor of e85 and then get anew core and start over again for the last time. LOL if you blow it again you need to just sell the car
I wish we had e85 stations available here in nyc, but we dont have any. The nearest ones are outside the city so I had to settle for meth. Im installing aem' new failsafe when I get the car running again just for safety precautions.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:34 PM
mll
Evolving Member

What kinda bearings are you using?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by mll
What kinda bearings are you using?
Acl bearings..
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:41 PM
mll
Evolving Member

Ok now I know what bearings not to use when I build mine thanks
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:45 PM
mll
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOpsi718
Acl bearings..
Are they the hi performance acl bearings? What kind is good to use
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by mll
Are they the hi performance acl bearings? What kind is good to use
All acl bearings are pretty good quality..
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOpsi718
I wish we had e85 stations available here in nyc, but we dont have any. The nearest ones are outside the city so I had to settle for meth. Im installing aem' new failsafe when I get the car running again just for safety precautions.
We have a very few E85 station on the Island. I think ditching meth would be the best option. Look else where to make more power.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. PSSsSt
We have a very few E85 station on the Island. I think ditching meth would be the best option. Look else where to make more power.
I know man, but im in north queens, and my nearest ones are un hempstead, and I have friends who run e85 and do the trip to fill up, but by the time theyre back their needle is by 3/4 so it doesnt seem very efficient.. Im gonna be moving to florida early next year so im def gonna make the switch then, they have e84 everywhere there lol
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

does not matter you should ditch the meth now. also i had an engine failure with acl bearing why i dont have them now. I have clievite tricoated bearing just saying use what you want.

Quick Reply: Should I reuse my block or get a new core? Help..