Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Launched my car for the first time last night...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratz you did let it slip a little too much but the first launch is always the best, popping that cherry makes you smile. Ive had my days were Ive launched countless times still no problems.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kpr
Dont worry it wont break if you launch properly, remember to let the car roll before letting the clutch out completely and youll be ok. Ive launch mine hundreds of time and no broke parts.
That's exactly what I did. It felt really natural when it all happened... almost like time slowed down
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mt057
Spoken by someone who doesn't know....

I have launched my car countless times. If you get wheel hop then bad things will happen but just launching the car is not going to do it.

Did you know that by driving your car something will break eventually...

What exactly does "wheel hop" feel like? I feel like it would be when the car kinda jumps forward without spinning the wheels

Searched it on Google and this came up from the Corvette forums :

The sensation the driver feels is similar to driving over a series of railroad ties spaced about 6 inches to a foot apart. A bumpy, sometimes violently bumpy sensation. Can happen during burnouts, hard launches, or on 1-2, 2-3 shifts.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:22 PM

Happens a lot to FW cars but it actually does feel just like it was described driving over railroad ties haha as long you use the clutch properly you wont run into any issues.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you slip your clutch a few more times, you won't be singing the praises of the stock clutch!

N
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by novem
If you slip your clutch a few more times, you won't be singing the praises of the stock clutch!

N
I'm replacing it in less than 7 days... soooooo
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by forc3 f3d
Yes, please do! I didn't know the legend, Ricky Bobby was on evoM. Please explain how the e-brake is not a good way to launch...
Uhhh... are you joking? Why would you ever be using the ebrake for ANYTHING other than parking or pulling out of a steep uphill?

Originally Posted by mt057
Anything to contribute?
I've literally put up at LEAST two, LENGTHY responses to how to properly launch an evo. I have PLENTY to contribute, but I'm not going to just endlessly repost stuff. People not only can, but they SHOULD search, but I'm not much of a search ****, so I generally try to be helpful. In this case, rather than reiterate what I've posted in this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...nch-06-mr.html

and this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ch-evo-ix.html

Both of which are easily within the first 5 pages of this forum, I figured I'd just try to reduce the amount of completely asinine information that people seem to make up on a nightly basis.

I mean no offense to either of you, I can see your point on how the parking brake may seem useful for launching, but its not. Its 100% incorrect, and if you're doing it, then you're doing it wrong... but, to each their own. There's never any reason to preload your drivetrain. Ever.

Launching the car causes considerable strain on these components anyway, there's no reason to add resistance. If you need the ebrake, you're just doing it wrong. That said, driving wears your car out, shifting, pumping the clutch etc. Its a sports car and its meant to be utilized, however that doesn't mean you can just do whatever the hell you want all the time and things will be ok? As I always say, its a gas pedal, not a button, and you're a driver, not a robot.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Ugh... that makes me sound cocky. I'm not cocky.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kpr
Dont worry it wont break if you launch properly, remember to let the car roll before letting the clutch out completely and youll be ok. Ive launch mine hundreds of time and no broke parts.
so you meen dont just dump it
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:07 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the insightful post ProPilot
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I understand the feeling about reposting the same inform repeatedly. Lol. You have got to hang in there though cause they will keep asking. Hell I am starting to wish that the mods made it mandatory to search 5 topics before being allowed to post.

I do not use the e-brake when launching either FWIW. I will look for my old explanation...

Ok here is one of them...https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post9282951

Forgive my horrible spelling. I was posting from my phone and it keep auto-spelling words on me.

Here is a thread in the driving techniques section...https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/dr...aunch-evo.html

Last edited by mt057; Oct 17, 2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Um, any time you can add preload to the drivetrain (holding ebrake or a handbrake like in most drag cars) is better for your driveline. However, this is at the expense of burning up your clutch disc.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:28 AM

Anyone think it will be safe to launch a EVO VIII with 275/35/18 tires? I'm kind of scared the wheels won't spin because of such wide tires and i will leave my transfer case on the ground
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Sigh... As I said, everyone has, and is fully entitled to their own opinion.

1. Force Fed. If you didn't like my explanation of "its wrong" thats probably because you didn't actually read any of the information I posted and are just focused on the fact that I said its wrong. Take note though, you haven't posted any information as to why its correct to use the e-brake? So, perhaps you should contribute something?

2. Drag cars use a trans brake, not an ebrake. The Evo is not a drag car, and does not have a trans brake. Some manufacturers, like B&M make an ACTUAL brake (for the front or rear wheels) that will hold itself and allow you to preload the drivetrain, or, get to your staging position and set the car up without the fear of it rolling for a false start. Trans brakes are for built cars with built transmissions, since it enables the transmission to be in first gear and reverse gear at the same time. A switchable type of wheel brake (like the B&M system) is designed for vehicles without launch control. The Evos have launch control, and thus there is no reason at all whatsoever to use your ebrake. All you're doing is reducing your times by adding one extra thing for you to do.

3. To properly launch, your clutch needs to slip. You also need to take the slack out of the driveline. I've stated all of this in both of the posts I have linked. The evo is NOT a drag car, and though it is very good at drag racing due to the launch control, AWD, and suspension, it just isn't a drag car. As such, you need to get your staging position and timing setup properly to have a good 60ft.

Originally Posted by BigT
Um, any time you can add preload to the drivetrain (holding ebrake or a handbrake like in most drag cars) is better for your driveline. However, this is at the expense of burning up your clutch disc.
No. Taking slack out of your driveline is good, as it will reduce components slamming together, applying a preload to your driveline is doing the opposite though. Its adding excessive strain into the mix. Taking slack out, good. Preloading, bad.

Originally Posted by superk1980
Anyone think it will be safe to launch a EVO VIII with 275/35/18 tires? I'm kind of scared the wheels won't spin because of such wide tires and i will leave my transfer case on the ground
The tire size, or the evo isn't what makes it unsafe. Its the driver. You have (hopefully) more grip, since you're running crazy wide tires for whatever reason, and because of that, and them being larger in diameter, you have a significant amount more unsprung weight. But the clutch is your failsafe. If you launch it properly, the car will be fine.

But it isn't up to any of the parts. Its up to the driver.

Again... its a gas pedal, not a button, and you're a driver, not a robot.

Last edited by ProPilot04; Oct 17, 2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only had my car for 2 months and I launched it a couple times. My launch and shifting suck so now more launching for me until someone can show me how to properly do it

Quick Reply: Launched my car for the first time last night...