Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Launched my car for the first time last night...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
I <3 ProPilot. I wish we could up-rate people on this forum.
Haha thanks! Though I'm not sure my ego needs the boost.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Push the clutch in, rev the gas up to your 2 step. Hold the gas in and slip the clutch to the point where it just BARELY starts to move forward.

Hold the clutch at that spot and engage the e brake. That will pre load the driveline so when you launch the car it doesn't shock anything and you don't spit out the t case or the rear...

Drag car or not its the same principle and many people use the method for racing..
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by forc3 f3d
Push the clutch in, rev the gas up to your 2 step. Hold the gas in and slip the clutch to the point where it just BARELY starts to move forward.

Hold the clutch at that spot and engage the e brake. That will pre load the driveline so when you launch the car it doesn't shock anything and you don't spit out the t case or the rear...

Drag car or not its the same principle and many people use the method for racing..
Many people drive slow in the fast lane, and pass on the right as well... that doesn't make it safer, smarter, or proper?

I won't say your method is wrong, but I will say that I completely disagree with it. But its really your opinion vs. mine here. I'd be interested to see what the difference in ET's and specifically 60fts are with your method vs. not using the ebrake. I'd be very surprised if you're picking up any time at all in an Evo.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-brake method sounds sketch and unnecessary...
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by taylorgang
E-brake method sounds sketch and unnecessary...
it is and their is no point to it.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Launched my car more times than I can count now. Get a stainless clutch line, check adjustment of the clutch, bleed the clutch system, and there shouldn't be any reason why you can't safely launch your car. (A more aggressive rear LSD helps a ton)

a solid front engine mount also helps lessen wheel hop
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WolfsFang
it is and their is no point to it.
Tell that to the guys that go fast! Lol
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Tell that to the guys that go fast! Lol
Well... lets see if anyone responds in the drag forum. I put up a post in there asking the question.

The thread is here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/dr...questions.html

Note: Force Fed, I'm not doing this to flame you or anything. I obviously think your method isn't as good as mine, but that doesn't make it right or wrong. I'm asking some more expert minded drag racers what they think. Perhaps your method is considerably faster and as such should be recommended to those looking to drag race.

Though to be clear, I'm not recommending, or suggesting that method at all currently.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Well at least you're not being the typical ignorant e-thug...

Because you haven't used the method does not Mean it's wrong. That is an example of ignorance. I'm a little baffled you haven't see. Any videos of people using this at the strip....
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:33 PM

one of these days i will find the courage to launch mine
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/dr...-evo-ever.html

How strange... Please tell me your address. I'll send you a real nice set of knee pads!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/dr...-evo-ever.html

How strange... Please tell me your address. I'll send you a real nice set of knee pads!
Right. But this is a drag car. And it has a built transmission from TRE. Specifically, the TRE Stage 2.5 iirc.

They also mention in that run that they just need to get the ebrake to hold a bit more. This is a function of not having an actual braking system installed.

My point here is that launching your Evo on its stock transmission, or worse, on an aftermarket clutch improperly is going to result in broken pieces. A car on slicks, with a built transmission isn't a stock Evo whether it's using the ebrake or not. Even still, advising someone who is having difficulty launching their vehicle to use the ebrake to improve their launching is reverse logic. We don't need to add complication, we need to take it away.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Right. But this is a drag car. And it has a built transmission from TRE. Specifically, the TRE Stage 2.5 iirc.

They also mention in that run that they just need to get the ebrake to hold a bit more. This is a function of not having an actual braking system installed.

My point here is that launching your Evo on its stock transmission, or worse, on an aftermarket clutch improperly is going to result in broken pieces. A car on slicks, with a built transmission isn't a stock Evo whether it's using the ebrake or not. Even still, advising someone who is having difficulty launching their vehicle to use the ebrake to improve their launching is reverse logic. We don't need to add complication, we need to take it away.
Please dont run around in circles making an attempt to change your argument.

Built drive train/stock it does NOTchange the concept of the launch. PLENTY of people go fast on stock drive train, and still use the e brake.

When I get on a computer I'll send you bunch of examples.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Please dont run around in circles making an attempt to change your argument.

Built drive train/stock it does NOTchange the concept of the launch. PLENTY of people go fast on stock drive train, and still use the e brake.

When I get on a computer I'll send you bunch of examples.
ok?

I'm not sure what I changed? Preloading the drivetrain with the ebrake is pointless.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Even still, advising someone who is having difficulty launching their vehicle to use the ebrake to improve their launching is reverse logic. We don't need to add complication, we need to take it away.
Exactly. People who are learning to launch their cars need to know the basics of it... there are enough things going on in that moment alone, no point of adding another thing into the equation.

Quick Reply: Launched my car for the first time last night...