Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Launched my car for the first time last night...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've cleaned this thread. Please keep it on topic and respectful or don't post at all.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgang
Mind explaining to everyone exactly what you did to break it? Did you just drop the clutch or what? Firsthand experience is the best way to prevent others from making the same mistake!

Fully pressed the gas and the clutch... then dropped the clutch lol... i have had over 10 dsms and now moving on to the evo i just wanted to see how the act 6puck unsprung would catch... having an unsprung clutch you are already asking for stress on the drivetrain
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boostedx11
Fully pressed the gas and the clutch... then dropped the clutch lol... i have had over 10 dsms and now moving on to the evo i just wanted to see how the act 6puck unsprung would catch... having an unsprung clutch you are already asking for stress on the drivetrain
unsprung are brutal, my friend has a 240sx set up for drag and repairs his tranny every few months.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
OP: Was your question ever actually answered? I see you've sort of faded off into the background of this thread.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:44 PM

The first launch experience is the probably the best experience anyone can ever feel
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

good launch in an Evo = Chuck Norris doing a pushup

When you launch, the Evo the wheels don't actually spin, the world does
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8lento
good launch in an Evo = Chuck Norris doing a pushup

When you launch, the Evo the wheels don't actually spin, the world does

To ProPilot : I just wanted to see how people felt after their first time launching. It was a great experience for me. I'm glad nothing broke. Luckily, I was already replacing my clutch so I didn't mind burning up the rest of the clutch.

Also, I'm hoping people can use threads like this to see what has worked for others, what has broken their drivetrains, how they did it, etc.

Personally, I would like to know the difference between launching with a stock clutch vs launching with a clutch like the exedy twin
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by taylorgang

To ProPilot : I just wanted to see how people felt after their first time launching. It was a great experience for me. I'm glad nothing broke. Luckily, I was already replacing my clutch so I didn't mind burning up the rest of the clutch.

Also, I'm hoping people can use threads like this to see what has worked for others, what has broken their drivetrains, how they did it, etc.

Personally, I would like to know the difference between launching with a stock clutch vs launching with a clutch like the exedy twin
Word... I've posted in a couple of clutch threads about my thoughts on clutches. I'm generally in favor of the stock clutch until its obvious that it can't hold the power. If you search for clutch and ProPilot, I'm sure you'll find something... in fact, I think theres even info in that launch thread that I linked just a few posts below my step by step launch instructions.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow i cant believe i just read 5 pages of pro pilot trying to prove his point, even going as far as making other threads in other sections, just to see if people agree with him on this stupid subject.

Nothing force fed said was wrong. Lots and lots of fast evos, preload using the ebrake. This isnt some long lost secret or something. Built trans or not, it doesnt matter cause it still uses oem gears unless its a dogbox, so that argument is completely invalid

But anyway, thats my late night opinion. On with the show
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
Wow i cant believe i just read 5 pages of pro pilot trying to prove his point, even going as far as making other threads in other sections, just to see if people agree with him on this stupid subject.

Nothing force fed said was wrong. Lots and lots of fast evos, preload using the ebrake. This isnt some long lost secret or something. Built trans or not, it doesnt matter cause it still uses oem gears unless its a dogbox, so that argument is completely invalid

But anyway, thats my late night opinion. On with the show
I'm not really trying to prove anything? My opinion is really all that I have to offer, and it shouldn't be touted as fact. However... it would be nice if someone could actually DISCUSS how preloading the drivetrain is better/safer for launching a car? So far it appears as though everyone just wants to pop in here to tell me that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Well... teach me?

I don't think my explanation for launching the car is wrong? I don't think that someone new to launching their Evo should be using the parking brake even if it does work, since its a LOT of extra coordination that seems to apply only to racing (though when else are you really launching?). But no one has really explained WHY preloading the drivetrain is better? They've just posted videos of other people doing it, and stated that "everyone" does it.

Tell me why?