Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HKS EVC problem

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HKS EVC problem

Having a problem lately where my HKS EVC's monitor is spiking boost. I have it set to run 1.35bar which is about stock boost and have the warning set at 1.40 but at WOT it quickly jumps to 1.40 or 1.45 and the warning goes off and drops it down to wastegate pressure. However, when I monitor my steering mounted boost gauge it shows a steady 19.5 (needle vibrates a tiny bit due to crappy road vibrations). I'm thinking it probably a problem with the EVC's lines but couldn't get in the engine today due to it raining.

Any idea's? Also anyone know if its actually necessary to run the small filters that come with the EVC? Its an HKS EVC IV that I had on my old GS-T Eclipse that I decided to put in the Evo 8. Thanks!
Also forgot to mention that I've done the Learning Mode around 3 times and always end up having to mess with the offset since it doesn't match my boost gauge.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bump, for the fact that it rained again today and I could not get to work on the car. Anyone have any similar issues with ANY electronic boost controllers?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Junk it and get a Halman mbc!!! Keep it simple!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is your evc the one with 2 units? display and controller with the knobs etc.?

if so its the same as mine and mine is holding 1.5bar like a champ. i used the filters though.

check your wastegate actuator. we recently came accross an evo 7 that was effectively freeboosting and hitting cut because the insides of the actuator rusted out.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kind of hard to understand exactly whats going on in your situation. My EVC V works fine, I don't run the warning function (prolly because I dont care if my boost is ~3psi one way or the other on E98). I also do run the filters and it appears my EVC reads about 3psi high compared to the dyno or my other boost gauge. I set target boost @ 33psi, 105% offset and have fun. If it spikes a little (34/35psi on the EVC) I turn the offset down a tad. What is your wastegate/crack/standard boost set at during step 3 of the initial setup?

During initial setup where you can either enter your wastegate boost or let the EVC "determine the standard boost" I would just enter 11-12 psi (whatever the **** that is in bar) if your on the stock WGA and NOT letting the EVC determine your wastegate boost.

Here is manual if you need it - http://www.scribd.com/doc/2887213/HKSEVC6-Manual