Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying Evo VIII advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying Evo VIII advice

Hi, I totaled my 2007 MINI Cooper s Stage 3 a few days ago and decided I'm going to buy an evolution now since I have a kid on the way in 3 months and four doors and AWD would be better for the winter. Just wanting a few opinions on two cars I've been looking at.

One that I have looked at on the Internet is 2003 with 55k miles and 100% stock and near mint condition with sun roof . They are asking $18,900 (retail for great condition KBB). And this car only has had 1 owner!!!! Coming from my MINI being mint Im fairly particular of my car. I really want reliable just dunno if a slightly modded one is still reliable.

The other is a 2005 with 52k miles. It has full exhaust including manifold, evo 9 turbo swap, cams, intake, tune, front lip, clutch, no spoiler, SSL I guess? Has leather, sun roof, infinity I suppose. This is an individual seller who has only owned it 7,000 miles and asking $18,900 OBO could get for 17.5k.

I'm just a person who prefers to buy stock and mod myself. Just didn't know what your guys opinions were on how safe the modded one looks and price opinions. Have to drive 5 hours to get an evo =[

Here are the links.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Thanks to all replies. Looks like you guys have a new member now. =]

Last edited by 5speedwtneed; Oct 16, 2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Before and after

Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

buy a IX? *shrug* I got nothing else.

Last edited by wjamyers; Oct 16, 2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not looking for power. Just a car I love and reliable.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks pretty crazy... glad you survived

Out of those two I'd say buy the unmodded one... it really depends on the quality of mods, tune etc. I'd say ask the owner what brand the mods are, who installed them, and who tuned the car.

Post that info up and we can give you an idea of what kind of condition the car is.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a one owner unmodded evo and do it all myself. That way you can be side by side with your evo throughout the whole transformation
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by taylorgang
That looks pretty crazy... glad you survived

Out of those two I'd say buy the unmodded one... it really depends on the quality of mods, tune etc. I'd say ask the owner what brand the mods are, who installed them, and who tuned the car.

Post that info up and we can give you an idea of what kind of condition the car is.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a one owner unmodded evo and do it all myself. That way you can be side by side with your evo throughout the whole transformation

Thanks. Had not a scratch on me. Dodged a deer hit 10 trees sideways into a river...
Yeah I'm thinking the unmodded but dont think the GF is gonna be too happy with me modding it after the baby comes out lol. Can't pick car over the kid. This would be my first car I have ever bought modded if I did. Thank god they are 10 minutes from each other! 5 hour drive one way. Dumped all that money into that MINI to die =\
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay,first off, glad to see you are okay.

Next, get a Countryman All4. Reliable/Warranty.

You will be amazed to what will be avail for it soon. It's already Turbo/awd......

Anyway, If you are in search for an Evo because you always wanted one, that's another story.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 5speedwtneed
Thanks. Had not a scratch on me. Dodged a deer hit 10 trees sideways into a river...
Yeah I'm thinking the unmodded but dont think the GF is gonna be too happy with me modding it after the baby comes out lol. Can't pick car over the kid. This would be my first car I have ever bought modded if I did. Thank god they are 10 minutes from each other! 5 hour drive one way. Dumped all that money into that MINI to die =\
Test drive both and see which you like better

But just know that buying a modded evo could run into a whole bunch of problems in the future then you'll need to pay attention to the car rather than the kid anyway
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Countryman - test drove the AWD turbo the first day it came out lol. But 30k plus is out our my range. Not looking to spend more than 20k especially cause I'm only getting 18k ish for my car.

And from what I see on here the mods don't sound too scary... Cams, turbo swap, and tune scare me =\. But the guy really doesn't know the car for sure. He hasn't done anything to the car but an AFR gauge.

And with 52k miles shouldn't be too bad on the motor with those mods right? I mean I'm going to baby the car and change the oil ever 3k. It'll do an auto cross once a month in the summer.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Oh and does black paint fade on these cars like the usual Mitsubishi? Looked at a rally red one, was all faded and delaminates clear coat =\
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

I have a TB Evo 8, and the paints fine. I bought my car stock, and I would buy the stock one between the two. You can check carfax and see the maintenance history if it was done at Mitsubishi, another shop if it was reported. The stock Evo looks really clean, in SoCal the price of Evo 8/9's are going up. Good luck with your purchase!

N
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:00 AM
Evolving Member

Both have good car faxes. Black had 5 owners.
I'll just drive both and see which one wins me over. Maybe I'm still young enough that the black one being 366AWHP will win me over =]
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

5 owners sounds like a lot, but drive both mild mods are still pretty reliable
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:12 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not looking for power. Just a car I love and reliable.
Both have good car faxes. Black had 5 owners.
I'll just drive both and see which one wins me over.

For reliability go for a stock, well-maintained, low-mileage car. A 5-owner modded offering sure ain't it.

Edit: I looked at the links. You'd have to be off your rocker to buy the modded car in lieu of the stock VIII, especially THAT modded car. Nuts.

Maybe I'm still young enough that the black one being 366AWHP will win me over =]
Tell me, what changes as one gets older? A car guy from birth is a car guy from birth, and a poseur is a poseur, regardless of age. That's just how it goes. I can only say that as 48 year old lifelong car guy, there aren't too many of use left, at least not as many as claimed to have had the interest in their 20s. Can you guess why that is?

Last edited by FJF; Oct 17, 2011 at 07:04 AM. Reason: text
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:36 AM

I would suggest the Stock one myself both vehicles have the same mileage but the 2003 is 2 years older so in almost 10 years roughly 5k a year summer driver check under neath the car for rust and such which would also influence my decision personally and if you want to mod yourself you can and will know it is done properly because you did it or had a shop do it that you know as well. let us know your choice and goodluck