Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What size radiator fan do you have??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What size radiator fan do you have??

so i plan on getting koyo or mishimoto radiator.
but i was wondering what kind of fans and what size fans people had for cooling efficiency/reliability

its a built 2L with fp black.
street use mostly and maybe a track day once or twice a year

i was looking at the mishimoto radiator 12in from here..
http://www.maperformance.com/evo-vii...radiator-fans/

Last edited by bnr34rb26dett; Oct 27, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What type of application would it be for? The Evo's stock cooling system is extremely good, though I recognize there are a few instances where it makes the most sense to use a smaller rad, but I just figured I'd ask about your intentions.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
What type of application would it be for? The Evo's stock cooling system is extremely good, though I recognize there are a few instances where it makes the most sense to use a smaller rad, but I just figured I'd ask about your intentions.
its a built 2L with fp black.
street use mostly and maybe a track day once or twice a year
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CFM is more important then size ... I am running 12" but at 1275cfm. So as long as your moving air your good.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
CFM is more important then size ... I am running 12" but at 1275cfm. So as long as your moving air your good.
You know the specs on the stock fan?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

is 1275cfm a lot??
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
Isn't this really only true to a point?

I mean, if you're only sucking air through a small portion (vertically) of the radiator, wouldn't the fins that are outside of the fans diameter be under-utilized?

I feel like this is similar to P=R/T stuff.

If you hooked up a radiator that was say... 100ft x 100ft with proportional sized cooling hoses etc. And then used a regular sized fan, that was flowing some insane CFM... something like 1,000,000 CFM, the entire systems efficiency would be horrible.

So I would say a fan that is well matched to your radiator size has a lot to do with cooling efficiency.

Unless I've overlooked something drastic?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Isn't this really only true to a point?

I mean, if you're only sucking air through a small portion (vertically) of the radiator, wouldn't the fins that are outside of the fans diameter be under-utilized?

I feel like this is similar to P=R/T stuff.

If you hooked up a radiator that was say... 100ft x 100ft with proportional sized cooling hoses etc. And then used a regular sized fan, that was flowing some insane CFM... something like 1,000,000 CFM, the entire systems efficiency would be horrible.

So I would say a fan that is well matched to your radiator size has a lot to do with cooling efficiency.

Unless I've overlooked something drastic?
sure you would be rt and its true to the point we are making regarding an evo radiator and a 12" fan as outlined by the op. All I am saying is the cfm of the fan matters as much as the size, low cfm and a big size is garbage as well. Get a fan that can move some air, not all 12" fans are the same. I am trying to help the guy make a good decision and what worked for me--
Did you have a recommendation based on P=r/t? no disrespect.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

You know the specs on the stock fan?
I have looked all over for this and requested it here. Never got a response. Several others racing cars have had to work thru this issue as well. I based my choice of a fan from what had worked for others and the cfm rating I looked up on the fans they have used. my .02
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

r u guys talking about pv=nrt when u say p=rt? a little confused here. yea im just trying to get the best application for my use thats all. i dont want to over spend on a fan. i also do not want to pay less for seomthing that is not efficient enough for my setup
Old Oct 20, 2011, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bnr34rb26dett
r u guys talking about pv=nrt when u say p=rt? a little confused here. yea im just trying to get the best application for my use thats all. i dont want to over spend on a fan. i also do not want to pay less for seomthing that is not efficient enough for my setup
No... P=r/t is some interest rate calculation that I just mis-typed. However... now its in my head and I can't for the life of me think of what formula I was trying to get after.

I'm not certain, but how are the CFM values for an automobile fan rated? Is it if the fan were running all the time? Or what? Because CFM is simply cubic feet per minute. For most fans, this is simply how much air the fan is CAPABLE of moving if it ran at max speed for a minute.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

No... P=r/t is some interest rate calculation that I just mis-typed. However... now its in my head and I can't for the life of me think of what formula I was trying to get after.

I'm not certain, but how are the CFM values for an automobile fan rated? Is it if the fan were running all the time? Or what? Because CFM is simply cubic feet per minute. For most fans, this is simply how much air the fan is CAPABLE of moving if it ran at max speed for a minute.
Good point, that would make a difference whether it was run at 9v or 12v and how it was tested for rating...kinda makes my original point:...To get as much cfm as you can for the size fan to be sure it will cool. I am a big proponent of having a little too much rather then a little too little....seems to work most of the time and would in this case as well.
Best I can do is say the stock fan is 12" if I am not mistaken, I cut mine out of the stock shroud and put a slim line in its place while utilizing the stock shroud as not too lose any cooling effeciency provided by the shroud. Made some mounts and pop rivited into place in the shroud so I could remove the fan with the shroud on and not have to mount it to the radiator.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

well technical things aside, what fans are people running and what are the thoughts??
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would highly reccomend a zirgo fan setup with a good relay..Best fans out there for the price..They can move a ton of air and we always reccomend them for the FF turbo kits..

Quick Reply: What size radiator fan do you have??