Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wastegate?

Hey guys and girls, I know too a lot of you that this is a stupid question but I did a little research and couldn't really find anything. What does the wastegate do and how does an upgraded one make a difference? And what does the psi amount mean compared too your boost psi if they are even related? If there is a good thread or post about this please just post the link. I don't mean to cause rebuddles. Thanks!!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

wastegate controls the boost level... so lets say u have an 18psi spring... when boost levels exceed 18psi the wastegate opens, dumping excess exhaust out to keep the specified boost level.. so if u have a big boy turbo, u dont want a 14 psi spring when ur boosting 30.. I have an 18 psi spring and boost 21... if the waste gate doesnt open, the turbo would build boost until it blows something, because it doesnt relieve anything.. did that help a little?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by evosweens1
Hey guys and girls, I know too a lot of you that this is a stupid question but I did a little research and couldn't really find anything. What does the wastegate do and how does an upgraded one make a difference? And what does the psi amount mean compared too your boost psi if they are even related? If there is a good thread or post about this please just post the link. I don't mean to cause rebuddles. Thanks!!
Hey m8! Welcome!

1. Our vehicle's, like many, are equipped with an internal wastegate. To find the relative differences between those, I'm going to direct you to this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-o2-dump.html

2. The actual purpose of the wastegate is to prevent the turbo from over boosting. It does this by opening or closing at a pre-determined psi (using a spring) and diverting exhaust gases away from the turbine.

A more detailed explanation amounts to:

A turbocharger has two sides. A compressor, and a turbine. The exhaust gases spin the turbine, which is connected to the compressor, and the compressor obviously compresses gas into the intake stream.

The wastegate is located on the turbine side. If it's internal, it will be in the housing of the turbine side (typically). If the wastegate is set to (say 15psi), that means that when the compressor side reaches 15psi, the wastegate will open and allow exhaust gases to flow past the turbine. This enables the turbine to spin at a relatively constant speed, and thus the compressor can maintain 15psi.

I can expand as necessary on that... but that should answer that question.

3. Upgraded wastegates typically involve larger diameters, better flow, more finely manufactured springs, etc. An uprated wastegate will generally come into play with a higher boost level, but theoretically, an improved wastegate is "always" better. THAT SAID, the stock wastegate is relatively good, and you probably won't need to upgrade it for any reason until you're at LEAST above 25psi.

Ask more questions if you've got em!

(Someone may want to check this... Its pretty late where I am. lol)
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:33 AM

Fast forward to 3:10 in this video for an explanation on wastegates. It's a very simple concept once you see all the parts and understand how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGhlgphrBxA
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:02 PM

sick video.. should be named.. turbo dfor dummies..
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:09 AM

Oh wow.....i wish i would have seen this video a long time ago....