Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 boost leak results

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo 8 boost leak results

So I finally got around to doing a boost leak test on the evo. I was going to start at the TB and then work backwards to the turbo, but I didn't have a coupler that was the right size to fit over the TB inlet. So I just figured I'd run it at the turbo and see what happens...

I rigged up a sweet setup. I have a quick connect male end in PVC cap with a silicone coupler. Then between the compressor hose and that, I made this thing today:
Name:  IMAG0017.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  120.6 KB

It has a pressure gauge with a regulator, and a shut off switch. This way I can just fill up the tank with air and control it right under the hood.

So anyway, I set it up and accidentally filled the system up with 30psi! It filled up quick, which I guess is a good thing. So then I turned off the air and listened for leaks. I heard a small one and determined it was coming from my boost gauge connection. More on that later. I 'fixed' it and filled it up again. I still heard a little leak that was either coming from the same spot or somewhere near (or under) the TB. I checked the boost gauge while doing this and it filled up quick (to like 22psi) and went down about 1 PSI per second. Is that normal? I forget as I haven't done a boost leak test in a while!

As far as my boost gauge connection, it's a weird setup and I was hoping to get some feedback. I have an Autometer Ultra Light 2 mechanical boost gauge. So I have that nylon tubing running from the boost gauge to the source. Now the kit comes with this rubber connector to connect the nylon tubing to a t-fitting, but that basically melted in my engine bay so I tried a different solution. I got a coupler that has that little ferrule inside to connect to the nylon end, but the other end is a short threaded piece that I got a vac line over and zip tied. I don't think this is holding well, so I wanted to see what you guys recommend to connect this nylon hose to a t-fitting or a vacuum hose.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:31 PM
Account Disabled

Don't just listen for leaks spray everything with either soapy water or Windex & watch for bubbles...Leaks like injector o-rings you really can't hear...
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1psi per second is typical. But the difference between 1 and 2psi per second, or 1 psi per 1 or 2 seconds is hard to estimate.

Spray with soapy water.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry I forgot to mention that I used soapy water. That's how I knew the boost gauge line was leaking as I saw the bubbles. I didn't see any bubbles around injector seals, any of the vacuum lines, or the upper intercooler pipe (including bov).
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Looks good OP. Always do boost leak tests from the compressor side of the turbo. You dont want to skip over all the intercooler piping and end up with leaks.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbotalawd
Looks good OP. Always do boost leak tests from the compressor side of the turbo. You dont want to skip over all the intercooler piping and end up with leaks.
I was going to do that eventually, but I figured starting from the TB would make it easier to track down leaks by starting with smaller sections. Then I would have done the test at the turbo.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had the same issue on my Sport Comp II mechanical boost gauge.

I ended up using a plastic tee, two different sizes of heat shrink tubing and a small section of silicon hose and small zip ties. Heat shrunk the tubing to the gauge's nylon tubing ( about 3-4 " long). Then used the small section of silicon hose to slide over the heat shrink tubing. ( it was tight fit but i got it on about 2 " with tiny bit of dish detergent) then connected the free end of the hose to the Tee. Used zip ties on the tee and 3 on the layered heat shrink+silicone hose. No leaks any more.

Be aware plastic tees used in vacuum may deteriorate over time due to heat. If you can find a brass tee for 1/8" tubing ( small fish aquarium pumps used to use them ) that will work much better over time.

Here is one source

http://www.parker.com/literature/Bra...cts/Book-G.pdf See page G5 Union 224-5/32

Last edited by WRC-LVR; Oct 18, 2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm... and more hmmm...
Old Oct 19, 2011, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
I had the same issue on my Sport Comp II mechanical boost gauge.

I ended up using a plastic tee, two different sizes of heat shrink tubing and a small section of silicon hose and small zip ties. Heat shrunk the tubing to the gauge's nylon tubing ( about 3-4 " long). Then used the small section of silicon hose to slide over the heat shrink tubing. ( it was tight fit but i got it on about 2 " with tiny bit of dish detergent) then connected the free end of the hose to the Tee. Used zip ties on the tee and 3 on the layered heat shrink+silicone hose. No leaks any more.

Be aware plastic tees used in vacuum may deteriorate over time due to heat. If you can find a brass tee for 1/8" tubing ( small fish aquarium pumps used to use them ) that will work much better over time.

Here is one source

http://www.parker.com/literature/Bra...cts/Book-G.pdf See page G5 Union 224-5/32
Thanks dude! Do you happen to have any pictures of how you worked the heat shrink and silicone hose for reference? The brass "T" fitting is a good idea as well. So far my plastic "T" fitting is holding up, but I'm sure it will deteriorate over time.