Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Import 2005 JDM Evo...possible or no way in Hell?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SwiftyMcVae
That is definitely not true. At least anymore. Here in Canada, we had the 15 year exemption on imported vehicles, but Transport Canada shut down that grey area, and its been about 2 years now. It was crazy here in like 05'-06. Every Tom, Dick, Harry & his grandmother had a JDM vehicle. It was stupid common. R32's on every corner. MR2's,Evo's 1-3. 94 Supra's just made it in, before the window was closed. But now its the same time period like it is for the states "25 years"

I used to enjoy seeing JDM cars in general rolling around, but I could never understand why anybody would want to pay soo much for an old car, that's clearly been beat to **** for 15-20 years of its life...
Good info... thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is definitely not true. At least anymore. Here in Canada, we had the 15 year exemption on imported vehicles, but Transport Canada shut down that grey area, and its been about 2 years now. It was crazy here in like 05'-06. Every Tom, Dick, Harry & his grandmother had a JDM vehicle. It was stupid common. R32's on every corner. MR2's,Evo's 1-3. 94 Supra's just made it in, before the window was closed. But now its the same time period like it is for the states "25 years"

I used to enjoy seeing JDM cars in general rolling around, but I could never understand why anybody would want to pay soo much for an old car, that's clearly been beat to **** for 15-20 years of its life...
Wrong!

The rest of Canada(outside of Quebec)still enjoys the 15 year import rule.

I've done about 35000KM's in my old Evo now,everyday,all year long.Total cost so far is about $11500(that includes purchase price and maintaince).On a good day,she will outrun my GF's X in a straight line.Cornering and braking is close.Day to day comfort,driveability and reliability is on par with the X.....even my auto climate control still works perfect.....not bad for a 18 year old car!

Race,tow,plow....^

Maybe I'm just lucky,the the condition of my car was outstanding.....the body/chassis/suspension was described by the Mitsubishi dealership that inspected it as "the same as a 1 year old new car"

I'll can have 5 JDM "beaters" for the cost of one new X.......and still be as fast.......thats why I drive a JDM car!

Last edited by targa ten; Oct 21, 2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:38 AM

x2! Thank god I imported my Skyline r33 before they shut everything down atleast you didnt see one at every corner like mentioned
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by targa ten
Wrong!

The rest of Canada(outside of Quebec)still enjoys the 15 year import rule.

I've done about 35000KM's in my old Evo now,everyday,all year long.Total cost so far is about $11500(that includes purchase price and maintaince).On a good day,she will outrun my GF's X in a straight line.Cornering and braking is close.Day to day comfort,driveability and reliability is on par with the X.....even my auto climate control still works perfect.....not bad for a 18 year old car!

Race,tow,plow....^

Maybe I'm just lucky,the the condition of my car was outstanding.....the body/chassis/suspension was described by the Mitsubishi dealership that inspected it as "the same as a 1 year old new car"

I'll can have 5 JDM "beaters" for the cost of one new X.......and still be as fast.......thats why I drive a JDM car!

Your absolutely right, and I apologize for my mistake. I wasn't taking the rest of Canada into consideration. The 15-25 year change was for Quebec, and Ontario if im not mistaken.. But I heard that Transport Canada was suppose to be conducting tests to determine the pros & cons of JDM vehicles on our roads, and that the 25 year law was suppose to eventually become Country wide. Sorry for the mis-info
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your absolutely right, and I apologize for my mistake. I wasn't taking the rest of Canada into consideration. The 15-25 year change was for Quebec, and Ontario if im not mistaken.. But I heard that Transport Canada was suppose to be conducting tests to determine the pros & cons of JDM vehicles on our roads, and that the 25 year law was suppose to eventually become Country wide. Sorry for the mis-info
Ahh... no worries m8. People can mis-speak all the time! Your info came across with good intentions.