Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Import 2005 JDM Evo...possible or no way in Hell?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Import 2005 JDM Evo...possible or no way in Hell?

How difficult is it to bring in a 2005 JDM Evo? I have spoken to several Registered Importers and they are telling me it is nearly impossible these days...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Soflajay
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is not impossible. However, it is a difficult task. My friend works with a company that imports and sells Skylines. The paper work alone started at $10k.

Also, I have heard of it being difficult because of the recent earthquake and the radiation.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

My only question is why?? Why would you want to pay more for a car thats not really any better??
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Its impossible to do it LEGALLY and register it for street use.

Realistically, you can import it as a shell and import a motor, and then install it once it's here. But it still wouldn't be registered the same way as a normal vehicle.

Also, to each their own, but of all the cars to import, why the 2005 Evo?

I believe there's a sticky around here somewhere detailing why this won't work.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:42 PM

Even tho its not legally possible, why an 05'? If it were possible The Evo 6 would be the best choice to import
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

I think u can ship it in parts then put it together and register it as a kit car
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
My only question is why?? Why would you want to pay more for a car thats not really any better??

Cause it's JDM, Yo!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:34 AM

Sorry....maybe I was not so clear....I want to import a 2005 Evo "WAGON"!!!!

It would be the only one in the USA...at least from what I know.

If anyone has any contacts with experience in importing JDM vehicles...please PM me!

Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a terrible idea. The cost would be insanely high for the exclusivity of a 6+ year old wagon. If you want a quick turbocharged AWD wagon buy a GRB WRX STi.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

its definetly NOT impossible.... i've seen numerous people on not only this forum but as well as other forums, trying to sell JDM rx-7s,supras,skylines, Etc they have all gotten them stateside from the otherside of the pond, now getting some of them legally registered???? that might be tad harder.

I know of all the comments about its the easiest to register a JDM car over here in florida, but i've seen s15 silvia spec R driving on the streets as well r32 and r33 skylines. so like i said it definetly can be done...
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
That's a terrible idea. The cost would be insanely high for the exclusivity of a 6+ year old wagon. If you want a quick turbocharged AWD wagon buy a GRB WRX STi.
+1

Exclusivity is going to cost you. If you need a wagon that bad I would just look for something Subaru (WRX Wagon, Forester XT, GRB STI). It's your call at the end of the day what's the most important thing to you, but if you can afford the financial hit you're going to take trying to get something like that over here, chances are you can afford a better wagon that we get statesite (Audi, BMW, etc). If you can't afford to throw away money like that then I would stop your search here.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

I believe the current law in the US is 20 years. Whether you're seeing these cars or not doesn't mean its legal. If you're driving one on the street, whether you shipped it in parts or not, and you find a cop with a hardon, your car is getting seized. Not impounded. Seized.

It would be cheaper and wiser to actually fabricate a US evo into a JDM wagon. Mitsubishi did such an awful job of wagonizing this car it isn't even funny (sorry to those who have the lovely wagon). I doubt it would be hard. Basically, order yourself the glass, and the rear door, and have a shop tin can the back of your stock Evo. Boom. Done.

If Pagani can't get around the US import laws, I doubt you'll be able to. That said... there are DEFINITELY newer style JDM cars driving around in the US. However they got here and are registered is open for debate. All I know is that it's illegal.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
I believe the current law in the US is 20 years. Whether you're seeing these cars or not doesn't mean its legal. If you're driving one on the street, whether you shipped it in parts or not, and you find a cop with a hardon, your car is getting seized. Not impounded. Seized.

It would be cheaper and wiser to actually fabricate a US evo into a JDM wagon. Mitsubishi did such an awful job of wagonizing this car it isn't even funny (sorry to those who have the lovely wagon). I doubt it would be hard. Basically, order yourself the glass, and the rear door, and have a shop tin can the back of your stock Evo. Boom. Done.

If Pagani can't get around the US import laws, I doubt you'll be able to. That said... there are DEFINITELY newer style JDM cars driving around in the US. However they got here and are registered is open for debate. All I know is that it's illegal.

Its actually 25 years
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoapD
Its actually 25 years
Word... I can never recall off the top of my head. FWIW... I'm positive that its less in Canada. Perhaps 15 years? So there's that.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Word... I can never recall off the top of my head. FWIW... I'm positive that its less in Canada. Perhaps 15 years? So there's that.
That is definitely not true. At least anymore. Here in Canada, we had the 15 year exemption on imported vehicles, but Transport Canada shut down that grey area, and its been about 2 years now. It was crazy here in like 05'-06. Every Tom, Dick, Harry & his grandmother had a JDM vehicle. It was stupid common. R32's on every corner. MR2's,Evo's 1-3. 94 Supra's just made it in, before the window was closed. But now its the same time period like it is for the states "25 years"

I used to enjoy seeing JDM cars in general rolling around, but I could never understand why anybody would want to pay soo much for an old car, that's clearly been beat to **** for 15-20 years of its life...

Quick Reply: Import 2005 JDM Evo...possible or no way in Hell?