Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rusted frame rail cracked

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rusted frame rail cracked

While the area coved by the rear undertray is virtually free from rust, several locations in front of where the tray stops were looking pretty rusted, particularly the frame rails. I bought some POR-15 and was starting to get the flakes off when I noticed a problem: Looks like the passenger's side of the cross member has cracked the frame rail. Not sure what to do with that. Is that something that can be repaired? I'm concerned that the rails themselves are rusting from the inside out.

Suggestions?

Last edited by BonsaiScott; Feb 14, 2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would wire wheel both frame rails and note any other cracks. Make sure you get all the rust and contaminants out the crack as best as you can too. Then take the car to a good muffler or fab shop in the area and have them do a high penetration weld on the entire length of the crack. Next either have them or if you have a grinder do it yourself...grind and smooth the weld down flush with the frame rail. Lastly go ahead and coat them with the POR-15 and hopefully you won't have any other problems. Unless you have salt buildup inside the frame rails, its unlikely they are rusting from the inside out. Its usually rusting outside to inside. As long as somebody can do a good quality weld, it should hold together just fine.