Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Service Done...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2011, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Done...

So, my mechanic had the 8 in his shop for 2 days straight. Here is what was replaced.

Platinum Plugs
Oil (5W 40 Nulon F.S) & Filter
Coolant
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Acc. Belt
Alt. Belt
Some bearing out of the tensioner

There is now a horrible grinding noise (which isn't loud) at about 2k. It more of a rattle/grind.

He said "you will hear that noise while the belt stretches and settles it".

Now I am assuming he is not talking about the timing belt but is that true?

Also, my fuel pump is now rather loud. He swears the noise was always there, but I know for a fact it was not. You can stand a metre or 2 away from the car and still hear it. Does everyone else have this noise?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
When I finished my 60K service the car didn't sound any different but seemed to run sightly better. Any unusual sounds means something is wrong.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Id take it to a second shop for a second opinion
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

none of the above mentioned services would have any affect on the fuel pump. my fuel pumps are very loud according to some people, i however do not even notice them.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by milford
none of the above mentioned services would have any affect on the fuel pump. my fuel pumps are very loud according to some people, i however do not even notice them.
I do believe the fuel pump is totally unrelated. t's just funny how I never heard it before. I know it wasn't there.

Also, why would the engine detect a misfire shortly after driving out of the workshop. Even if he has missed 1 tooth on something, that's enough to put it all out of whack.

I am just really concerned that the tensioner noise has gotten even worse. He said that it's just the belt being noisy, and will be like that for 5000kms. I genuinely believe this is not the case. He told me it was a hydraulic auto tensioner, and there was nothing he could do about it - I think this is a pack of lies too.

Something just does not add up. I think I might have to take it to Mitsubishi and get them to verify the service.