Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Considering selling my Z06 to buy another EVO....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:04 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Turco
Those tires recently debated in the top 10 driver's cars were a new option for 2011. So i think it is safe to say they weren't on the cars in the stats above.
Heh, what are we going to talk about now? How the current race-ready ZO6 tires are not the same as the last batch of race-ready tires? OK, they're not identical.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
We know this, how? I'm asking, because very major magazine test of the ZO6 featured that car on extremely competitive rubber. So competitive, in fact, that it was often singled out as a determining factor.
Well the 2006 Z06 only had 1 tire option, the GY Eagles mentioned by name in the MT test. Certainly Chevy could have swapped them out for something more fierce but Clarkson made a point of whining about how the Z06 was equipped with the same GY Eagle RFs as his Ford GT, but they were much louder in the Chebby.

Seeing as TG tested an '06 Z06, and the current option Pilot Sport 2s were developed specifically for the ZR1, I'm comfortable asserting that the car ran on the factory RF option...not the "cheater" tires that everyone whines about.

But since my data is so deficient, I am more than happy to review your stats on multiple Evos handling better than multiple Z06s. You know, since it's just a well-known fact that "Evos handle better".
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Heh, what are we going to talk about now? How the current race-ready ZO6 tires are not the same as the last batch of race-ready tires? OK, they're not identical.
not even close...
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:19 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by avengerhed
Well the 2006 Z06 only had 1 tire option, the GY Eagles mentioned by name in the MT test. Certainly Chevy could have swapped them out for something more fierce but Clarkson made a point of whining about how the Z06 was equipped with the same GY Eagle RFs as his Ford GT, but they were much louder in the Chebby.

Seeing as TG tested an '06 Z06, and the current option Pilot Sport 2s were developed specifically for the ZR1, I'm comfortable asserting that the car ran on the factory RF option...not the "cheater" tires that everyone whines about.

But since my data is so deficient, I am more than happy to review your stats on multiple Evos handling better than multiple Z06s. You know, since it's just a well-known fact that "Evos handle better".
At the end, all this comes down to magazine racing. That's just perfect.

I'm done.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
At the end, all this comes down to magazine racing. That's just perfect.

I'm done.
No, real-world results are fine- especially if same-track, same-driver isn't a "fair enough" comparo.

I don't mind much. I mean, that'd be all the better. Maybe we can dig up some SCCA results to go through?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:31 PM

I think you are all nuts because you could have all gotten a Lexus IS-F and had something super cushy and comfortable yet with the same amount of power as the Vette.

...and it would be respectable to pick up your friend PaulNSX's mom in.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:45 PM

If you had a c5 z06, I'd keep it. A c6? Sell it and get an evo.

the ls7 is a beast, but it just won't take the abuse the ls2's and 3's will. Plus with the torque tube and rear-mounted transmission? Come on, too much crap to deal with and go out on you.

For anyone who says the ls7 is sooo badass, ask yourself: Why does the zr1 and cts-v use a blown ls3 instead of an ls7?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The LS6 is the motor to have.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HMatt
For anyone who says the ls7 is sooo badass, ask yourself: Why does the zr1 and cts-v use a blown ls3 instead of an ls7?
That's not because the LS7 isn't an amazing NA motor, its because the cylinder walls and block don't have enough material to make it safe for significant boost. All the late gen Chevy v8s are extremely powerful and reliable however.

On the handling front I don't see what the arguments are going on about. The Evo and Z06 are both fantastic handling cars. Stock for stock the Z06 outhandles and outaccelerates the Evo. The Evo can be modified to match the performance of a Z06 and they are both great track weapons. I have heard a lot of very skilled drivers struggle to extract the most out of the Z06 at the limit, but it's numbers in skilled hands are undeniable. I see a lot of C5Z06s, C6s, C6Z06s at NASA events... every class of HPDE and every legal race series has them.

Again, no wrong choice here, they are both sweet cars.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Turco
please share the data you are basing that fact on?
My data are not welcomed on this site as they are obtained in Mexico.

Last edited by Ev0ikon; Oct 28, 2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Wow look what I stirred up. It really all comes down to ones expectations. Hell, I wanted a Z06 for years, but never thought I could afford one. Now that I have one, it is just not 2.5 times the car my Evo was TO ME. When I was talking about handling, my Evo really seemed to handle much better. Granted I have not bought new sticky tires or done any suspension work on the Z. I know it's very capable. It absolutely is. I know that I miss the awd for sure. I guess with all things considered I just can't justify spending what I am on it. It was great when I first got it. I also hadn't had a fast car in 3 years. The comment about the Civic..... Are you serious? People still modify those? Have a great Halloween everyone!
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FJF
I wish you wouldn't put me in this position:

SHOW car, show. A snowball's chance in hell is an old saying illustrating a distinct lack of probability, and plowing refers to understeer.

"making it out of its own driveway without plowing" implies UNDERSTEERING coming out of your driveway? people come out of their driveways so fast that they're understeering?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wjamyers
"making it out of its own driveway without plowing" implies UNDERSTEERING coming out of your driveway? people come out of their driveways so fast that they're understeering?
You aint seen me in a rush in the morning :-)

...and yes anything will understeer when you chuck across large bumps like the driveway entrance at 35 mph.

JK
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Need that z06
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how many miles do you have on the car?

Quick Reply: Considering selling my Z06 to buy another EVO....