Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Burning Oil

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ yes i do, is there an easy way of checking that without removing the turbo?. really dont want to spend the time to remove the turbo and find out it isnt it... :S

edit: not sure if this is correct, but if this is the case, if i pull off the front pipe it should be oiled up on the inside correct?

Last edited by Charlie87; Nov 4, 2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I think it also might depend on your catch can. Does it really work? Have you seen it trap oil before? Are you having dip-stick pop-out issues? Oh and why is everyone calling it a PVC...that's used in your homes. It's a PCV valve...positive crank-case ventilation valve. LOL
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:05 AM

Sorry my bad LOL im noob :P im not 100% sure it works aye, its a cusco catch can. I used to have dip stick popping out issues till i fitted on a dip stick holder thing which keeps it shut.

what does the dip stick popping out have to do with missing oil?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

I was burning oil to, would only happen at WOT and during when I decelerate. I checked everything, turbo, pcv, valve cover you name it I checked it. Mine turned out to be piston related. My car had perfect compression to. I would have never known mine was a piston problem until i pulled the motor apart.

Easy way to see if it's the turbo, pull the lower intercooler pipe off and see if there is oil. If there is it's your turbo. Other then that it can be blow by, pcv or piston related

Dom
Old Nov 4, 2011, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Or it can be bad valve seals. Valve seals will leak when the car is off. Oil will leak out of the head and come to a rest on to of the pistons. When you fire the car up, it will blow smoke, especially after a hard pull, oil will blow by the valve seals.

If your losing as much oil as your saying I will tell you it is not your turbo or pcv...
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Charlie87
Sorry my bad LOL im noob :P im not 100% sure it works aye, its a cusco catch can. I used to have dip stick popping out issues till i fitted on a dip stick holder thing which keeps it shut.

what does the dip stick popping out have to do with missing oil?
If your dipstick is popping out its due to blow-by. That means your rings are gone. Do a compression test and leak down test to find out which one(s).
Old Nov 4, 2011, 09:36 PM

hmm interesting as ive got brand new valve seals when i changed my cams approx 15,000km (9300 miles) ago. in regards to the dip stick popping out ive noticed mine popping out as soon as i got my cams put in. My mates brand new tomei crate motor sends his dip stick shooting out as well =S
Old Nov 6, 2011, 07:55 PM

so i did a compression test yesterday and the results were across all 4 cylinders:

180, 180, 185, 180

So the motor is fine, ill see if i have time tonight after uni to pull off the hotside IC pipe and check for oil.

Ill be venting the PCV hose to atmopshere instead of having it plumbed back into the intake manifold this weekend and see how it goes from there and keep u guys updated
Old Nov 9, 2011, 01:37 PM
EMC

Sorry for kinda hijacking your thread, but I am having the same problem...just not as extreme...my oil goes low during a period of a few weeks...just by looking at the sleeve where the intake connects to the turbo I see oil leaking out. Also my lower intercooler pipe on the right side I can see oil coming from the sleeve...its not to the point where its actually dripping down...my garage floor is clean..I've read the responses to charlies issue and in my case I'm thinking its the turbo...perfect excuse to upgrade to the fp black...again charlie I'm sorry for posting this on ur thread...hope u don't mind me posting on here...just didn't want to create a new thread. Thanks guys for ur help
Old Nov 10, 2011, 03:00 AM

sorry mate, but yes i do mind u posting in my thread...

hahaha nah kidding :P ur situation is totally relevant and hopefully helps people in the same situation as us out ill also pull off all my IC piping when i get time to check it out

but yeah after reading all the responses and reading ur post, i think in ur case it might be turbo related
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:40 AM

Still keepin my eye on this thread...

Did a compression check.. 176. 175. 175. 175

Gonna remove LICP today check for oil. check the turbo for shaft play etc.. Still tryin to track this damn issue down myself
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:03 PM

BUMP!!

anyways so i recently did the PVC pipe, it is no longer plumbed back into the intake manifold and i have also got another extra breather installed in the rocker cover. so in total i now have 3. I went for a small thrash last night and checked the oil catch can, there is NO BURNT OIL, clean as...

Also on another update. the car is no longer burning oil i have checked the dip stick a few times now. HOWEVER, on idle the car still blows white smoke and the white smoke smells like something is burning. Also on WOT the car doesnt blow any white smoke that i can see. If i rev the car whilst in neutral there is no white smoke, however it starts to shoot white smoke from the exhaust once i back off (idling).

I have checked the oil level and coolant level. everything is full. i have parked the car over night in the garage and there doesnt seem to be any leaks on the garage floor.

Any suggestions will be of much assistance!

Thanks guys!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

really sorry to revive this old thread but i am having somewhat of the same issue. ive noticed ive had to top up my oil every couple of weeks or so and dont know if thats normal or not ? over 5000ks i had to top up about 1 Litre? but i do notice on a cold start that my car blows a lot of white smoke .. and WOT i am pretty sure a lot of smoke comes out too..

Charlie, did you ever figure the solution to your problem ?? what did you end up doing? also where bts you from in aus ??

Cheers!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:01 PM

hey i had this issue before, I was using 5w-30 (also in australia).

Took it to Pulse racing because I couldn't figure it out, turns out the oil was far too light, changed to 15w-50 or something and never had any issues since.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

really :S ? how much power are you making ?
i wouldnt think my car would need that high oil, im currently using 10w40 MOTUL 300v ....

Quick Reply: Burning Oil