Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Burning Oil

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning Oil

Hi guys just wondering if anyone could help me out here. As of recent pretty much when I have changed to e85 my car has started burning oil. i take it to the track and usually keep an eye on the oil level and yes i have to regularly top it up. If im correct, im pretty sure 4g63s do not burn oil?? so a few days ago i changed oil topped it up a little over the top dip stick indicator and went for a dyno run. It took me approximately 30 minutes to get to the dyno, 3 dyno pulls and a 30minute trip home. The oil indicator level is now on the bottom dip stick indicator.

Can any1 help me suss out what is going on, and what could be a cause of this? Thanks

EDIT: oh and i forgot to mention its blowing a fair bit of white smoke out the exhaust (no cat). on idle and when i go WOT. I can also smell burning oil from around the front of the car and the rear, the smell is pretty strong

Last edited by Charlie87; Nov 2, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 08:42 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
do a leak down test, oil is getting into the combustion chamber if you see white smoke comming out the exhaust.

is your stock PVC valve still connected to the intake and fludding the intercooler with oil,, although this should not cause the amount of loss you are seing
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:41 PM

whats a PVC valve?

i just checked the turbo by taking off the turbo inlet pipe, 0 shaft play, no oil in the intake pipe either and no oil in my catch can. Also checked spark plugs (dont know why but i just did incase), everything seems to be fine. checked coolant, coolant is full and no oil contamination.

Also is a leak down test similar to a compression test?

Thanks for ur quick response

Last edited by Charlie87; Nov 2, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think he meant PCV valve. It stands for positive crankcase ventilation. Its a valve on the back of the valve cover that is connected to the intake manifold.

White smoke is coolant and blue smoke is oil. If youre seeing white smoke out of the exhaust, especially while pushing it, and you say that the sparkplugs are clean, then its most likely the turbo. Is there any oil leaking from around the turbo?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:03 AM
Account Disabled

check your oil return line, i had the same exactly issue except mine was A LOT worse every hundred miles i was putting in 1 quart of oil. I couldnt figure out what it was i was on the phone with everyone i knew. Called Forced Performance the said is was definitely the PVC Valve, even they were wrong.

All i did was buy a brand new oil return line and problem solved.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by italianpryd91
check your oil return line, i had the same exactly issue except mine was A LOT worse every hundred miles i was putting in 1 quart of oil. I couldnt figure out what it was i was on the phone with everyone i knew. Called Forced Performance the said is was definitely the PVC Valve, even they were wrong.

All i did was buy a brand new oil return line and problem solved.
Call me dumb, but whats a PVC valve?

You know, since its been mentioned twice already.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:36 AM
Account Disabled

i also did replace my PVC Valve thinking it was that and no go... its the l shaped piece attached to the back left side of your valve cover... mine was black. sometimes they can be silver too its basically a pipe...

this
Old Nov 3, 2011, 02:32 AM

ill give it a shot mines still standard i havent touched the PVC valve. ill also check the turbo return line.

in regards to the 1st reply made by apagan, do u mean for me to get a new hose and pipe the hose from the PVC valve to a can or atmosphere so that it doesnt plymb back into the inlet manifold and flood the intercooler?

Thanks!

Last edited by Charlie87; Nov 3, 2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 02:40 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Charlie87
ill give it a shot mines still standard i havent touched the PVC valve. ill also check the turbo return line
how many miles?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 02:57 AM

105,000km in australia, so approximately 65,000miles
Old Nov 3, 2011, 04:47 PM

Im having the same problem right now..

Im burning oil an cant chase it down.. After a few hard pulls you can smell oil really bad.. I see blue smoke when pushing it hard at WOT.. I have to add oil.. Today when i added 1Qrt. I saw smoke coming out of the VC when i removed the cap.. Now i know thats not normal..

Im thinking rings?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:27 PM

yeah champ if its blue oil it may be rings. mine is white smoke on e85 duno wth is going on :S
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:28 PM

ok so yesterday i topped up my oil a little past the the top '<' marker on the dip stick as it was low. i check the oil today to see the oil is extremely fkn low!! its on the bottom '<' marker now on the dip stick. i checked for oil leaks on the garage floor and NOTHING!!!! not a drop. so ive topped it up with oil again.

And just so u know, i havent driven the car nor started the motor since yesterday when i topped it up with oil.

WTFs going on....
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:28 AM
Account Disabled

Turbo seals... It's leaking it has to be if you never started it since you put oil in. Unless its leaking out of your drain plug or oil pan.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:29 AM
Account Disabled

Oil might be leaking through your turbo into the exhaust. When you cold start the car do you get a huge excessive amount of white smoke?

Quick Reply: Burning Oil