Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EGR block off yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011 | 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

EGR block off yes or no?

Hey guys i posted a few days ago and ive been having an issue with the evo 8. It has a rough idle. Ive changed the plugs, has great vacuum at idle, checked every line known to man, tested the iac valve with an ohm meter and got it within spec still idles rough. A lot of people say it could be an EGR issue. If that is the case can i simply buy the block off, remove the EGR valve, install block off and cap/zip tie the vacuum hose that were on the valve? Do i have to remove the solenoid, vacuum canister, blah blah or can i just leave it on the car wont it be disabled without the valve anyways?
Old Nov 4, 2011 | 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

To keep it as simple as possible, just install the block-off plate between the intake manifold and EGR valve. That way you can keep the solenoids connected and not have to disable the check engine lights.
Old Nov 4, 2011 | 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

okay if my whole issue is EGR valve/solenoid or any of the EGR componets, deleting the valve and putting the block off plate will solve it?
Old Nov 4, 2011 | 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

i have a brand new stm egr block off plate with oem gasket let me know if u want it.....lol!..
Old Nov 4, 2011 | 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

i just ordered on or i would man !!!! haha i just now seen this. this is my problem i hope. The car wants to idle rich and the ecu is cutting fuel to compensate at idle so i don't see how it is a vacuum issue plus vacuum pressure is good, and i find no hoses off. I tested IAC the ohms were correct but i couldnt get it to move in and out like some had said so that leaves me to wonder. But doing this will X out any egr issue it could be at least lol ill post back when i get it on there. Also my plugs are dark black with a white tip is that normal?
Old Nov 4, 2011 | 01:45 PM
Account Disabled

I would recommend throwing a little high temp silicone on both sides of the EGR gasket when you install the block off plate so it doesn't leak. Make sure to do a boost leak test afterwards & double check.
Old Nov 4, 2011 | 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

It is being shipped as soon as it gets here I pray that it fixes my woes haha I'm out of ideas. Unless its the iac but the resistance tested good? But when I left it connector and unbolted it didn't go out and in with the key on so idl :/
Old Nov 4, 2011 | 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

By unplugging it, you will be simulating having the block off plate installed, except it will turn on your SES light.

I hope for your sake that it is the EGR, but it seems more like a IAC to me, which may check out fine electrically, but may be flawed mechanically.

Good luck!
Old Nov 4, 2011 | 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

But I can leave it all plugged in, install block off plate and cap vacuum hoses and if it's any egr part it will fix it correct? I'm just making sure. If this doesn't fix it I'll buy a used iac
Old Feb 20, 2012 | 05:04 PM

Did you get this fix?
Old Feb 20, 2012 | 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

somehow yes haha i did a block off, took off the evap box and left the hoses to atmosphere. Then i changed the IAC which i don't believe was the issue btw but i left it anyways. I also set the cam gears from -4/-1 to 0/0. Between all of that chaos something fixed it. I personally think it was EGR related but i did it all at once so i can't be for sure. I still have the EGR valve, IAC, and evap from the car in the garage. The car no longer dips or dies at idle.
Old Feb 20, 2012 | 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

I might have to look into this too....after tuning time and timing belt time, if my issue doesn't get fixed you may be getting a PM, haha.