Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fogging oil. Start up?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fogging oil. Start up?

It's time to put my evo 8 away for the coming WI winter I am planning on spraying a fogging oil in each cylinder and putting the plugs back in. I was told this a very smart to do as it lubricates internals. My question here is should I turn the engine over a few times to get the oil in the block or just leave it on the piston cylinders. If anyone has any experience or input on this that would be great.

Thanx much.

luke.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:06 AM

Using fogging oil is a great idea.
Just leave it in the cylinders.
The fogging oil coats the cylinder walls above the pistons to prevent rust, so you don't need it to be in the block.

Now... before fogging the cylinders add "Sta-bil" to the fuel then drive around the block a few times to circulate the treated fuel.
Sta-bil will help prevent fuel break down and gelling during storage.

Also an oil change before storage is recommended.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I don't understand all this winter storage business. Unless you live were you get 100 inches of snow every year there's always going to be periods where the sun is shinning and the streets are dry. The best thing to do to keep a car in good shape is to drive it.

I'm in the same situation. I have summer tires on. But since I have no spare rims and have another car to drive that has winter tires, the Evo will remain parked when it is snowy out. But when it is nice my Evo will be on the road.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Yup Im planning on doing all that in those steps exactly. Thanx for the fast reply and the info THX. Just didnt know if it was good to get that oil deeper.

As for the above comment about driving year round I would respond in saying. Im sure the best thing to do for your Evo is took keep it away from salt completely. Unless u live in a County that doesnt salt there roads which pritty much every county does you would have to store it until the rain washes the salt away in spring. In WI, salt destroys cars. Granted it would be a blast to drive these cars in the snow, I just dont want my Evo 8 with 22K on it to be eaten away by salt so soon or at all. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Peace
luke.